VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    In my Sony DV camcorder I have two options for recording sound. One is PCM 16 and the other is PCM 12. I assume that they differ in quality but the difference is unhearable for me. Is PCM 16 worth using or is it only... erm... for fun? I'm afraid that turning PCM 16 on will eat some of the kilobytes that would normally be used by video data. Will it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no idea why Sony insist on giving you the option of 12 bit PCM, it is of no use to anyone. If the camcorder is set at 12 bit, when you transfer your footage over Firewire (i-Link) to your pc, you'll have 32kHz audio. 32kHz audio isn't DVD compliant so you'll have to upsample it. Set the camcorder to 16 bit and the audio will be DVD compliant 48kHz.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Please, people, don't use that 12bitPCM at all unless you truly have to eek out every available minute!

Default for DV camcorders should be 16bit, PCM, Stereo, 48kHz. If yours isn't set to that, you're doing yourself and your mates a disservice.

You may not hear the difference from camera headphone jack, but you'll definitely hear the difference on PC or Receiver speakers.

16bit ~= 96bit signal to noise, 12bit ~= 72. That's AT BEST with full signal.
    also
    48kHz gives 0-24kHz bandwidth, while 32kHz give 0-16kHz. Not so noticeable, but still important for music.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree 16bit, 48KHz should be the default. It will produce audio that is directly compatible with DVD.

12bit 32Khz has only one advantage, the ability to mix down to a second stereo audio pair of tracks.

Consumer models allow narration or music to be added to a second set of stereo tracks after the main tracks are recorded live. A mixer function is provided in the menus to weight the main tracks against the narration/music tracks during playback.

Some prosumer MiniDV models allow direct 4 channel recording in the live mode. Model features vary but usually the built-in stereo mic is recorded to the main tracks and the external Mic/Line input feeds the second stereo pair. The external input can be used for wired or wireless mics or house sound.

4 channel mode will record in lower quality but in some cases the extra channels are useful for post mixdown.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    12bit 32Khz has only one advantage, the ability to mix down to a second stereo audio pair of tracks.
    I've been told that the Japanese are fond of doing this, thus everyone gets 12bit/32kHz as the default. ARG...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, I have to go and set it up 16bit now
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dose 12bit 32Khz have some kind of surround sound
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nwo
    Dose 12bit 32Khz have some kind of surround sound
    No, not unless you create it.

With a prosumer camcoder capable of 4 ch live recording, you could place your 4 microphones for surround, then author to AC-3 later. I'd do it left, center (voice), right and rear.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you could place your 4 microphones for surround, then author to AC-3 later. I'd do it left, center (voice), right and rear.
    Would that be the line-in, how do you plug four microphone's in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nwo
    you could place your 4 microphones for surround, then author to AC-3 later. I'd do it left, center (voice), right and rear.
    Would that be the line-in, how do you plug four microphone's in.
    You need to rent a prosumer 4 input camcorder at this level.
    http://www.dvwonline.com/products/sony/dsr-pd150.html

Consumer models have only 2 inputs. You can add tracks 2 at a time, two with video and two after.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote