VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone know how to add an audio-only session for audio-only CD players in such a way that the VCD/Data (ISO) tracks are "masked" (hidden) from the audio CD playlist?

I know that audio-only tracks must be burned in the first session only, and that CDXA, CD-Xtra, and "Mixed Mode" CD's store data in sessions 2 and above for PC's to read. I have had some mixed luck using FireBurner, but I cannot figure out how to "mask" the VCD/Data (ISO) tracks using this method.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi!
    Create a .bin file in VCDEasy. Then add first the .bin file in FireBurner and then add your Audio Tracks.

Since the Audio CD Player won't be able to read the first track since it's not a Audio Track your CD will play as a Audio CD.

In the DVD Player, it will plau as a VCD.

I'm not sure about the videotrack, if it should be first or last track on the CD, but you can test with both of them.

// Znooky
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Znooky
    Hi!
    Create a .bin file in VCDEasy. Then add first the .bin file in FireBurner and then add your Audio Tracks.

Since the Audio CD Player won't be able to read the first track since it's not a Audio Track your CD will play as a Audio CD.

In the DVD Player, it will plau as a VCD.

I'm not sure about the videotrack, if it should be first or last track on the CD, but you can test with both of them.

// Znooky
    I tried this!

Audio-only CD players still read the first few tracks of the VCD.

What I want to know is: How do you mask/hide the first few data tracks from a standalone Audio CD player?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can try Philips VideoCD Toolkit, it's pretty hard (it's made for Windows 3.1, but it runs under XP), but if I can do it why you can't.
    See ya!
    P.S.: I don't know if the CD that you make with it it's a CD Extra, or Mixed Mode; with Mixed Mode you have only one session, only with CD Extra you have two sessions, if it's CD Mixed perhaps it's your CD player, try your CD on another.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Masking/Hiding of the (nonAudio) 1st track is a matter of the FIRMWARE smartness in the CD player! Thus, it varies from player to player, and can't be factored out by snazzi authoring.

MixedMode = 1st track Data, 2nd+ tracks Audio, all 1 session
    CDExtra/CDPlus/EnhancedCD = 1st session Audio (whatever # tracks), 2nd session Data (1 track)

VCD with audio is a specific form of CDXA Mixed Mode.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. As per Cornucopia.

There is a hypothetical way though I don't think that any one has ever written a tool to do it. If you could change the lead in marker for the first track to beyond all the VCD data in the first track (and then have a few seconds of null data), then an audio CD player would start playing the first track (the few seconds of silence) and then go automatically to the second track.

As I stated, there is no tool that will let you do this and it is not trivial to do unless you know the specifications for CD disc structures well.

Having a funky lead-in on the first track may affect VCD playability as well.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  7. My DVD player can only read the audio data track of a CD EXTRA, perhaps if you copy the folders of a (S)VCD in the data contents in Nero Burning Rom you can make this job, but the video can't be write as track with Nero in this way. Anyway I think that it's better Mixed Mode to do this, all the new CD player should play the audio tracks, and DVD player the (S)VCD tracks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have tried the Nero method to no avail.

Also, the discs I have burned play in almost all stand-alone Audio-only CD players I have tested them in, but ALL of them read the first few tracks of VCD/ISO data! What a total bummer!

Isn't there some kind of audio sub-code (PQ data?) that only Audio CD players read that gives them the time code for the track? I have heard tell of CD's that skip over certain tracks automatically, as per vitualis, but don't know of any authoring tools that allow this.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The method you described Hyper Shinchan will almost certainly lead to a non-functioning VCD on almost all stand-alone players as you have disrupted the actual physical sector location of certain data.

There is subcode data that tells whether a track is data or audio but this is interpreted by audio only drives in inconsistent ways... Old players will often play the track as digital noise which will damage your speakers. Some players will "play" the track but as silence. Good players will skip non-audio tracks.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well I have tried it but my DVD player read only the 1st session ( the audio), only the computer read the data track with the movie.
    I'm sorry (but it's not dangerous the way that I said, the subcode of the data is definied in the CD EXTRA,that is write in CD-XA, the format of the (S)VCD, but it's possible to read it only with a PC, so it's useless).
    berry_lthird are you sure that your CD player read the data track, it's strange, my CD player read only the audio.
    Have you tried with the Philips VideoCD Toolkit, if your player supports VCD it must read it (it's a Philips program, and the specification of the VCD includes the Red Book)?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I think that you have missed the point.

The logical data on a VCD is must be in predefined sectors. The filesystem is a layer on top of this so that this data can be referenced on a PC. For example, VCD1.0 specs have the same basic layout WIHTOUT a filesystem.

As such, copying the "files" off a VCD and burning it as if it were a CD-ROM will never work as the hardware player expects to find the PBC data in specific sectors on the disc. It does not look for the PBC "files".

VCD Toolkit will not allow you to do what the starter of this thread wanted. It will allow you to make "real" CD-DA tracks on a VCD but it will not allow you to play with pre-gaps on the disc, which, IMHO, is the only way of creating a S/VCD with audio tracks that will not play the data track.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  12. I think that you have missed the point.
    I think that you are right!
    Anyway I was giving an advice, but if it doesn't work with FireBurner I think that it's the same, the problem of the sectors of the CD-ROM it's that on the PC works but on a DVD player it doesn't work perhaps for the sectors, perhaps for the sessions of a CD EXTRA (maybe the DVD player read only ine of the two sessions).
    I give up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't know what's so bad about just skipping track 1?

If you do that, everything else is "compatible", be it PC, AudioCD player, VCD or DVD player.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. The 1st session is the (S)VCD tracks, and even if I usse an ISO filesystem with MP3 or JPEG the DVD player skip it, the problem is that CD EXTRA was created for the PC, not for DVD player (or not for MY DVD player, but I think that it's the same for all the DVD player, they work as CD player with CD EXTRA). But it's not important for me!
    Quote Quote