VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried searching through the forums on this, but haven't had any luck. I recently picked up a new burner(Lite-On 1673) and a bactch of TDK 8x DVD+R's. Everything's fine, and I don't really know if this an issue or not, but I can't seem to burn at anything less than 6x.

I read that I should be using 2.4x or 4x for recording, and anything faster could cause problems. Is there a way to slow this down.

Even if I choose 4x with something like DVD decrypter or even CDRwin, It still wants to burn at 6x or 8x.

I hope all this makes sense, or it at least came out right.

Should I be concerned with writing at such a fast speed? I haven't noticed any abnormalities in my transfers, but I'd just like to write at the same speed everyone else is having luck with.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. the new media does not allow you to burn slower than it's designed for, unless, you have a 2.4 or 4x burner....
    don't worry, it's fine, but as you said it, you should be able to change that....

personally. I wouldn't go behind 8X, I don't mind waiting another 5 min, but that is up to you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Everyone isn't recording at 2.4x or 4x. If you buy quality 8x media, there is no reason to burn at less than 8x.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool !!

Thank you both for clearing that up. I was hoping everything was cool with burning at that rate, but just to be sure, I thought I'd ask in here.

thank you again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've said it before - when it comes to disc burning at high speeds, speed doesn't kill. 8X media's favourite burning speed is generally 8X.

Think of a Formula 1 tire. Formula 1 tires are like 8X discs - great at high speeds and on smooth pavement. However, it would be dangerous to put them on your car because they don't react well at lower speeds, in water, or over rough roads. That's what 4X discs are for

My problem is with my stand-alone. Good media often doesn't work well on older DVD recorders because at long play speeds, the disc is being recorded at about 1/6x. It's like using Formula 1 tires on a monster truck. The only discs that work well on my stand-alone (a cheapie) are older cheaper ones.
    Quote Quote