VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Just a (slightly) hypothetical question here.

If someone breaks the rules in a post, but realizes that they've made a mistake and edit their post five minutes later (before a mod sees it), would they get carded (rhetorically, no).

What if, within those five minutes, someone quotes them (either in another post, or in a Report), will they still be carded? There's also the matter of being (purposely) mis-quoted, since you wouldn't have the original post.

I just saw an "almost" of this hypothetical (the person didn't retract his statement), but it would be an awful shame to card someone who actually took the initiative to fix their inappropriate post.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Damn good question. I'll drop it into the Mod forum.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Serene Savage Shadowmistress's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I see what you're saying but if they didn't get quoted, it would open up a whole other can of worms around here.

First, this person has a few minutes to realize his mistake while writing the post and before hitting the submit button.

Another hypothetical situation: A poster requests a crack. Within 2 minutes another poster who is just as clueless of the rules around here decides to pm him this crack, or info on how to get it. The original poster now goes and edits his post 5 minutes later because he no longer needs the crack.
    In this case, vh will have inadvertently facilitated this trade. And if no mods saw it and nobody quoted him there would be no way to punish this blatant disregard for the rules. This would still get the board in trouble.
    Now what if this sort of thing was happening on a larger scale?

So I think that anyone who asks for cracks publicly at any time should get carded, even retroactively. Those quoting are simply bearing witness in my opinion. It's not like the "crack dealers" are getting banned, they're just getting a warning, so I see no need to dish out further leniency towards them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What about if someone comments on a such a post and is made to look like an idiot after the poster rewrites the original post?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I dont think its right to Trap them,Maybe warn them that they should rethink the post they made. I did Quote somone yesterday that did ask for a crack,But I didnt do it to trap them so they couldnt Edit the post. Someone else took that extra step,Plus reported them in the "Report this Thread" Most of the time If I see somthing like that I move on or just tell them to re-think the post.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Serene Savage Shadowmistress's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    @ johns0 - that's why you have the line at the bottom stating how many times a post has been edited, if at all.

@canadatech - you make it sound like what this person did was a bad thing. Is it a bad thing when mods do it? Doesn't it protect this board which everone shares and takes care of? If others didn't help out the mods every now and then the job would be too big for them. Remember that they are only here because they like to be, not because they are required to be. People just care about this board.

If nobody did it, how long do you think this board would last so that you could come here and enjoy helping out the noobs?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thats not what i meant,sometimes a person will post a comment and in that meantime the original poster will redo the post so by the time the comment is posted it wont show as edited.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I know what you mean,I have been a victim of this,Now I always refresh the Thread just before Hitting "Reply"
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As we're talking hypotheticals here, what if either an employee of pegasys or their legal team happened to be browsing here, looking for any illegal behavior to do with their products - ie. did a forum search on "tmpgenc crack" or something similar, and just happened to stumble upon that post. They decided to take a screen capture when they find that little gem, then decide to sue Baldrick for facilitating and promoting serials or cracks that break the copyright or license for the product. Irregardless of if the OP edited his post 5 minutes later, Baldrick could still get sued over it.

So I say that if the OP is quick enough to edit without being quoted, then good luck to him. But if he is quoted, it's the responsibility of the mods to enforce the site rules for the greater wellbeing of Baldrick and this site.

EDIT:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1274678#1274678

Almost a similar type of question to this, really. If comments are made that inspire the next few posters to write something in response to it, then the OP edits, it makes the responders look like dickheads and even like instigators if there's no first post quoted to show why they made their comments in the first place.

So are we saying that it's OK to pour petrol on the fire, then edit your posts so that it doesn't look like you started anything and get away scot-free ? I think people need to take responsibility for their actions, and have enough sense to not post things that violate the forum rules in the first place. It's not that hard, really, it isn't. Then we wouldn't be having this discussion

As the great prophet Professor indolikaa khan once wrote ....

"So it was written, So it shall be flamed."
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If fixing only typos i dont always care to put a note about what i edited, but as a rule i always put EDIT: at the end of an edited post and add comments there. Some posters dont care and even i noticed some who edit posts where they were kinda lost in what they posted first and pretend they never made a mistake. Lucky that far the most posters here dont pretend to be that perfect.

Concerning posts in violation of the rules and then edited is a bad thing, i hope theres a way to track that kinda things.

Balderick, i would remove the possibility to edit whats already posted, but let us have the option to ADD things to a post and let it be visible what is added later and what was in the original post. I have no idea how that would be for posts edited many times, but maybe a list would be good like...

Added on 12:35 01.10.2007:
    forgot to say...... bla-bla
    Added on 12:36 01.10.2007
    ..and so on

What a great idea
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Shadowmistress
    @ johns0 - that's why you have the line at the bottom stating how many times a post has been edited, if at all.

@canadatech - you make it sound like what this person did was a bad thing. Is it a bad thing when mods do it? Doesn't it protect this board which everone shares and takes care of? If others didn't help out the mods every now and then the job would be too big for them. Remember that they are only here because they like to be, not because they are required to be. People just care about this board.

If nobody did it, how long do you think this board would last so that you could come here and enjoy helping out the noobs?
    The Mods are Mods for a reason,I also think they do need a helping hand because things do get missed somtimes.
    But I also see the good in everyone thats why I choose to tell them "Re-think the Post", Most people that I have seen that ask for "Cracks" Or " talking about downloading" will edit the post when somebody tells them read the rules. And most of the time they know not to pass THAT line again. I think some people get a joy out of seeing people get CARDS. Like I said I see the good in everyone,do it again, then I will post it in the "Report this Thread"/.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Serene Savage Shadowmistress's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by canadateck
    The Mods are Mods for a reason,I also think they do need a helping hand because things do get missed somtimes.
    They are mods for a reason, and that's why ultimately it's left up to them. No conflict there.
    But I also see the good in everyone thats why I choose to tell them "Re-think the Post", Most people that I have seen that ask for "Cracks" Or " talking about downloading" will edit the post when somebody tells them read the rules. And most of the time they know not to pass THAT line again. I think some people get a joy out of seeing people get CARDS. Like I said I see the good in everyone,do it again, then I will post it in the "Report this Thread"/.
    You choose to do it that way, fine, nothing wrong with that, your choice. Others may not want to keep a running tab of newb infractions in their head. Or, this may not be the newbs first infraction. If others choose to do it the other way, what's wrong with that?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Jim - KingJohn used to do this, I believe.

I have submitted this in to the mod forum, but it is yet to get a reply. I'd say it will be a few days at the very least before anything is decided.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cobra
    Jim - KingJohn used to do this, I believe.
    So I've heard from others who were here during his time
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I was here when he was, but I visited every other week or so. I was just newly-hatched at that time.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Shadowmistress
    They are mods for a reason, and that's why ultimately it's left up to them. No conflict there.
    You choose to do it that way, fine, nothing wrong with that, your choice. Others may not want to keep a running tab of newb infractions in their head. Or, this may not be the newbs first infraction. If others choose to do it the other way, what's wrong with that?
    I never said there was anything wrong with the way people do things,BUT I also think people have other reasons then Vhelps intrest at heart/ Some get pleasure from other people's pain.That would be one reason.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Serene Savage Shadowmistress's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Some get pleasure from other people's pain.
    Ok, in all fairness, I had to give this some thought. Some people do do it for this reason. Some don't, and are just passionate about their morals. The problem is, it's hard to distinguish which reason they're actually doing it for just based on one-sided facts.

You can't prove a negative, that's why the courts say innocent until proven guilty.

You have to take each persons actions - all of them - and weigh how much they're willing to help against how much they're willing to harm before coming to a judgement like that about them.
    If a person is reporting 4 times more than you are, but it's still only 30% of what they see or make a choice to report about, then you have to take that into consideration, right?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Shadowmistress
    Some get pleasure from other people's pain.
    Ok, in all fairness, I had to give this some thought. Some people do do it for this reason. Some don't, and are just passionate about their morals. The problem is, it's hard to distinguish which reason they're actually doing it for just based on one-sided facts.

You can't prove a negative, that's why the courts say innocent until proven guilty.

You have to take each persons actions - all of them - and weigh how much they're willing to help against how much they're willing to harm before coming to a judgement like that about them.
    If a person is reporting 4 times more than you are, but it's still only 30% of what they see or make a choice to report about, then you have to take that into consideration, right?
    Who ever does it for what ever reason I dont know,I do know that there is people that do it to see somone get a Card.Who they are?.I dont know.

I have morals and one is knowing people make mistakes,Chances are if they talk about Warez/Downloading DVD's here they sure as hell talk about it somwhere else or find somewhere esle too But this is about this site Noother. bottom line if I see somthing go un-noticed I will mention it to the Mods and the Poster. I have nothing but Vhelps intrest at heart,I wouldnt wont to see somthing happen to this site,because some bone-head wanted to know where to get a crack.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Serene Savage Shadowmistress's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Shadowmistress
    Agreed.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    There's also the matter of being (purposely) mis-quoted, since you wouldn't have the original post. Oh by the way, do you know I am Ghey? If not then yes I am Ghey as only a Ghey would raise a concern like this :P
    that's the most worrying part and I did see it when he originally posted this but never got round to posting the quote, though I did find it in my temp files . This is exactly what he meant by that comment and thought he would get away with admitting he is Ghey but MackemX unfortunately caught him in the act

I just like dropping subtle hints if I can rather than steam into the report post thread :P. It wasn't exactly advocating warez but it was a stupid thing to say so I couldn't resist quoting it

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1267281&highlight=#1267281

Originally Posted by Shadowmistress
    good and bad I suppose but probably more good than bad
    Quote Quote  
  22. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    There's also the matter of being (purposely) mis-quoted, since you wouldn't have the original post. Oh by the way, do you know I am Ghey? If not then yes I am Ghey as only a Ghey would raise a concern like this :P
    that's the most worrying part and I did see it when he originally posted this but never got round to posting the quote, though I did find it in my temp files . This is exactly what he meant by that comment and thought he would get away with admitting he is Ghey but MackemX unfortunately caught him in the act

I just like dropping subtle hints if I can rather than steam into the report post thread :P. It wasn't exactly advocating warez but it was a stupid thing to say so I couldn't resist quoting it

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1267281&highlight=#1267281

good and bad I suppose but probably more good than bad

p.s. as you can see rather than edit the previous post causing people to miss my modification, I have just reposted it again as a newly edited post
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MackemX
    p.s. as you can see rather than edit the previous post causing people to miss my modification, I have just reposted it again as a newly edited post
    Just quoting this so MackemX can't go in and edit his post ...
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Originally Posted by MackemX
    Just quoting this as I'm a suckup to the great mods of this forum so MackemX can't go in and edit his post ...
    straight back at ya

BAH!, you edited before I posted the quote! :P
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been duped by a few edits myself, no biggie though. I think that the mods do a pretty fair job of catching stuff before it goes too far along. As for a quick edit I say if it is an honest mistake or even a dumb mistake get it off of the board as fast as you can. I think the mods will start to see if there is a problem with a poster that tends to do this more often and deal with it as they see fit. As for quoating a post just to make a record of it, I mean give me a break. If it deservers a warning let the warning go to the orginal post, no need to put up flashing neon lights and arrows to attract the whole world to it. If you see a problem before a mod does and you feel compeled to act just reply that there is a problem with that post either to the poster or to a mod.

I don't think that this site is about criminal intent, but I do realize that some of its content could be used that way. Some places sell lock out tools to gain access to locked cars, I own a few of these tools and carry them for helping stupid people that lock their keys in their car (mostly freinds and co-workers, that shows the crowd that I hang with) I could just as easy use these tools for commiting crimes but I don't. The same for some of the content of this site. It no doubt is on the razors edge, but intended to be legal. It is nice to be able to police ourselves. And if we give advice in a freindly helpful manner as opposed to jumping down someones throat I think that we all we be better off.

OMG I have gone off all goodie two shoed again, I will have to edit this one to add some evil. (JK)
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Serene Savage Shadowmistress's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    @MackemX - I should report you for abusing the edit feature.
    (He did 10 edits before reposting)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

What are all the OT regulars doing in the feedback forum tonight??? I should report you for leaving the OT!

But back on topic:

I think posters have a right to edit their comments after realizing an honest mistake. Or for reconsidering a comment that may be seen as unintentionally hostile.

The mods here have been mostly fair and consistent with dealing with "sticky" situations regarding legalities and such.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    @MackemX - I should report you for abusing the edit feature.
    (He did 10 edits before reposting)
    you got proof? :P

I've quoted someone ages ago but that was when a hateful comment was directed towards me

thinking about it again, it's probably better that most things are raised in whichever way they can 8). I'd say 5 warnings are ample enough to get the idea, nature and rules of the site. So if they are new and get a warning within a few posts then it's a harsh welcome to receive a warning as most don't read the rules anyway.

It may also depend on the tone of the warning I guess as a gentle prod towards the rules is better received . The only thing I'm not really keen on are the people who post negatively towards someone who makes a boo boo but that's their choice

just my 2p and that is the last 2p I'm gonna spend in this thread
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can edit a post without it showing that you edited it.

EDIT: as long as you're quick about it.

Is that how it works?
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    only if nobody posts after you
    edit: you were quick
    edit again: no you weren't :P
    edit yet again!: neither was I
    Quote Quote