VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to first say that this is a great site. Tons of great info, been reading for several days and just seem to scratch the surface.

My question is this media good for anything? I bought a pack of 50 from Fry's when I first bought my new computer. Well before I found this site and learned anything. I have tried to back up 5 movies with no luck using them. Also I tried to burn a backup of my computer, incase it ever crashed. It took 4 tries to get a good one. So out of 9 disk I have used only 1 good. I know its the media cause I bought some Maxell 4X DVD-R (MXLRG02). And have not had a bad burn yet.

So can anyone come up with anything other then costers or kids to have fun throwing them outside. LoL

Thanks and again this site is great!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Burner model? Firmware version?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by steve2713
    Burner model? Firmware version?
    Steve2713 I have no idea what burner or firmware it is. I will look when I get home. Its what ever comes in the cheap E-Machines. Its an all in one (cd-rw/dvd dl). Probably a real good piece of junk. LoL. I have to say I am getting pretty good speeds out of it. Backed-up Spanglish last night and only took 28min's total. And it was a DVD-9 to DVD-5 using DvDShrink.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay the best I can come up with a brand name burner is TSST Corp model: TS-H552B with firmware version: GA02. I went to Gateway's website and downloaded the latest version firmware, GA04. I havent tried it yet with the new firmware. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's a Samsung burner, which are not the greatest of burners. Alot of the newer media issues can be resolved with updated firmware, though.

More info:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=114585&page=1&pp=25

I can't say for sure whether or not you have to use Gateway's FW or if you can use the Samsung FW as well - I would think you could use the Samsung FW but you'll have to check first. Sounds like TS06 is probably the most reliable FW at the moment.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off let me correct myself. There not 16X but 8X. I upgraded to Gateways latest fw (GA04) with no luck. Backed up and used Nero's CD-DVD scan disk and it had 0% errors. But when I played it in my Apex AD-1130W it would freeze and skip on chapter 9. Every back-up I have tried it starts in chapter 9. Even on diffrent movies. Also the memorex will not load in my other dvd players (Apex AD-1110). Just comes up saying DVD-ROM.

I guess the next step is to download samsungs fw (TS06) and give it a try. Or just stick with my Maxell's.

Also when trying to back-up tonight it was only encoding at 1.3 to 1.4kb/s. Really slow to what it was doing the other night. I checked under properties and its showing ultra DMA 5. Any ideas on this?

One other quick question. Using DvDShrink when it encodes it to your hard drive can you burn a quick copy from hard drive using DvDShrink, without haveing to reencode or will I have to use Nero.

Thanks again Steve2713. You have been a big help!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I updated to Samsungs latest FW (TS08) with no luck. I can burn this media but it freezes up and skips when it gets to chapters 8 and 9. Also Memorex will not play on some of my DVD players so I will stick to the Maxell DVD-R 4X. Havent had one coaster with them. Plus they will play on all my DVD players and other friends players.

Do yall think that the Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 8X (TYG02, TY02) from Rima.com will work well with my samsung burner? And has anyone had problems with them not playing on some DVD players?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'd read that TS06 was much less problematic than TS08 (sometimes the latest and greatest FWs aren't so great at all). You might want to try that FW before giving up. Yes TY makes good discs, most of mine burn extremely well but in all honesty I've gotten more coasters from TY (4) than CMC (0), Prodisc (0), Ritek G04 (0), Ritek R03 (0), RICOHJPNR01 (0), ....

TY USUALLY burns great for me and has low PI/PO levels, but I've had a couple of discs with low PI/PO levels that had unreadable sections of disc
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Steve2713, I tred GA04 from Gateway with no luck. Then I tried TS06 from Samsung with no luck. Then I went to TS08 with no luck as well.

Im up for trying anything eles if someone has any ideas!

Thanks again Steve for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Just trash that burner and get something that works. You can get most good burners for under 70 bucks. Here are a few suggestions:

NEC 3500 or 3520 or 3540

BenQ DW1620

Pioneer 108 (if you can still find one) or 109

Plextor 716

Just go to www.newegg.com and check out their prices.

Another suggestion:

In Windows go to the Control Panel, and then Systems, and then Devices. Find the burner. In the Properties, uninstall the burner. Then find the Secondary IDE drive and uninstall it as wel. Then reboot your computer. Now try burning another disk that did not work before.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Must be you burner. I've been using Memorex 8X for awhile never burnered a coaster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi
    I use memorex 8X media all the time. I have burned no more than five coasters in a year now (lucky?). I use an LG GSA-4120B burner. I'm not sure if thats 'super' quality burner, but as far as my combo is concerned, I havent run into many problems with Memorex media.
    scratch the surface off a cynic - you will find a disillusioned idealist.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Steve2713 what is PI/PO? Iv tried to search "PI/PO" and it says i need atleast 3 charter's to search. If you just tell me what it is I will search and learn what it is. Thank you.
    Quote Quote