VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I've been trying to convert a few DVDs to PSP format, and while I've had great success with most of them, a couple just won't keep their audio in sync.

I'm ripping the VOBs with YadeX and then simply using the PSP preset in ffmpegx. When that resulted in serious audio lag, I tried running the VOBs through OpenShiiva as prescibed and then converting the resulting file in ffmpegx. It made no difference, although this did work for a couple of other DVDs I tried - I just have two that absolutely refuse to get in sync. I've tried PSPWare and iPSP but neither made any difference.

Does anyone have any idea whether this can be solved or not? Or is it the case that some DVDs simply won't convert to MP4 for PSP without audio lag?

Thanks,

S_B
    Quote Quote  
  2. I didn't observe this so far, perhaps try to use 0SEx or MTR to extract the VOB.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Major,

Thanks for that. Thing is, the VOB itself is perfectly in sync, so do you think either of those would make a difference?

Also, I would use MTR, but as far as I know there's no way to turn a whole film into a single VOB with it, which is really annoying. Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm pretty new to the whole video conversion thing.

(ffmpegx is awesome, btw - nice work!)

Thanks,

S_B
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ah - I've just had a thought. Can I drag a VIDEO_TS folder into ffmpegx and have it convert the whole thing into one PSP MP4? I've been assuming it only takes one file at a time, but am I wrong?

S_B
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by S_Bruv
    as far as I know there's no way to turn a whole film into a single VOB with it
    You should be able to obtain a single VOB with MTR by setting the "Title/Chapter" mode.

Originally Posted by S_Bruv
    Can I drag a VIDEO_TS folder into ffmpegx and have it convert the whole thing into one PSP MP4?
    No, as the ffmpeg engine used in the PSP MP4 preset only supports VOB input, not VIDEO_TS input.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Excellent - I'll give that a try then. I thought Chapter mode extracted separate VOBs for each chapter, but if it puts the whole film into one file, it may well solve my problem!

Thanks Major,

S_B
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi again,

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but I can't find any way to rip a whole main feature into a single VOB in MTR. All I can do is a collection of VOBs. Do you have any suggestion, Major?

Thanks,

S_B
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try "Title only" and select title number.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Nice! That at least ripped the film into one VOB - thanks for that, Major.

Next, then, seeing if it'll conert to PSP without lag. Fingers crossed...

S_B
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    S_Bruv,

Did you get the movie to work without any audio lag?

I am curious to find out if and how you did it. Also, what are the steps to get the movie uploaded to the PSP?

THanks,

Rich
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I said in another thread, I have almost perfect audio sync, by ripping the dvd with handbrake to an .mp4, then using ffmpegx to convert that to the PSP .mp4. This seems to work best as .mp4 is not too different to the mpeg 4 part 10 h.264 that PSP uses, therefore only handbrake is converting across quite different formats.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    epepper9,

What is the final size of your movie?

Rich
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also have had many problems with audio synching. If I can find the time, I'll do a detailed report on all the steps I go through with all the noted details (computer speed, the brand of my memory card).

Sometimes, the problem isn't apparent until I've played the movie for at least a half hour. In one instance, the movie showed no problems if I get to a later point in the film using fast forward. When played normally, it would go out of sync by the same point.

Also, I was able to correct the lag by pausing the film but then it would eventually go out of sync again.

I think there's some little issue we haven't figured out yet. I'd say try to hang on to all your original mp4s until this issue is resolved.

Since I'm new here, I'd love to thank all involved with ffmegx for the best mac ripping app out there.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVD Decrypter to rip, in IFO Mode, select "Do Not Split" under tools setting under IFO Tab.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rbaroncpd
    epepper9,

What is the final size of your movie?

Rich
    Whatever I make it basically Handbrake has a custom size setting, so I made that 350-400MB, then I did the same with ffmpegx, and the size ended up about 350MB
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I've been studying these posts for a while and attempted to extract a vob file with MTR, as instructed to someone else above. It rips good, but the thing is, when I converted it to PSP format, it turns out that the picture came out excellent, but the sound used is from the Director's commentary! Is there a way I can select which sound output to rip in MacTheRipper? Also, rather than just ripping vob files and putting them straight in for PSP conversion, is there such this as a program for OSX which can view VOB files? That way, I can avoid disappointment after hours and hours of waiting for iPSP to convert the file, only to find out that the wrong sound file is there. I use 0seX for most VOB rips, but this one DVD I have shuts down 0seX as soon as I run it

Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  17. You may click the "Play" button in ffmpegX to preview the source VOB file prior to encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the response, any suggestions as to how I can get the correct sound to be ripped when extracting the VOB file?
    Quote Quote  
  19. If the sound is present when clicking "Play" then it should also be present in the encoded file. If not, please email me to major4@mac.com with your process output (click the blue "i" button to obtain the process output).
    Quote Quote  
  20. Thought I'd post my experience so far...

I've been using MacTheRipper for the past year or so combined with DVD2OneX for creating back-up's so when the time came to transfer video from DVD to PSP I started with MTR...

The MTR extracted VOB's had perfectly in sync audio in VLC, however encoding for the PSP in ffmpegX produced either unplayable files simply not recognised by the PSP or audio massively out of sync. Suspecting ffmpegX of being the problem I tried altShiiva for encoding - with this combination I got files which played but audio that was out of sync.

After seeing YadeX mentioned I thought I'd give it a whirl, again the VOB's extracted had perfectly in sync audio in VLC but this time encoding for the PSP in ffmpegX produced files that not only played but had perfectly in sync audio!

I'm quite surprised really - sounds strange but to summarise... MTR for me produces VOB's with in sync audio that when encoded for PSP are out of sync whereas YadeX produces VOB's with in sync audio that when encoded for PSP are perfectly in sync!

This is the case with Kill Bill R2 and every episode of Little Britain Series 1, I've yet to try any other DVD's. Will post updates if I make any more discoveries.

Chris
    (Registering ffmegX any day now )
    Quote Quote  
  21. Would you be able to email me to major4@mac.com a link to download a 5MB chunk of your off sync & in sync VOBs?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I personally have tried YadeX and MTR to extract and developed the same audio lag problem. The advantage of YadeX is that you can extract down to several seconds of footage. One possible solution is to identify where the audio lag begins and then re-extract the section of the DVD without that particular scene, then combine the VOBs and use ffmpegx. I tried this with two of my DVDs where the lag developed and, although I'm missing a scene or two (only about 2-3 seconds of footage), it has worked well.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So then... has anyone had a successful conversion? I am also dealing with all sorts of annoying results! Such as Audio Lags and wrong audio tracks! Can someone here suggest a real procedure that works? Thanks

I have used PSPware, iPSP, FFmpeg, YadeX, and MTR.
    Quote Quote  
  24. In case of chronic problems, consider converting to "AVI mencoder" in order to normalize the framerate, then convert the resulting AVI to PSP format.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I am thinking about getting a PSP firstly so I can watch movies on the go and secondly as a games machine obviously but beleive it or not that comes secondary. My DS provides the games enjoyment...such a quirky and very cool concept Nintendo have realised. Not that the PSP wont have some kiler cool games mind.

Anyway, the point of my babbling is:-

Is it just too problematic at the moment in encoding your DVD's to be used and played back on the PSP? Is it a worthwhile endevour or one purely for the videophiles?

Thanks
    Mucx

P.S. Oh and has anyone who uses EyeTV tried the PSP export function? Might be useful for doing smaller files like TV episodes.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So then no has had a successful conversion?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Yes, I have had a successful conversion of footage from my camcorder.

I have not done a dvd yet - I only have the 32mb memory stick.
    This process has taught me how to extract the main feature only
    from MTR and to one vob file only - but then you must use VLC to play it.
    Quote Quote