VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,\

do we have a program that records video being played on the monitor the same way we have a program like WireTap to record audio being played ?

thanks

Bernie
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by BernieR
    Hello,\

do we have a program that records video being played on the monitor the same way we have a program like WireTap to record audio being played ?

thanks
    Bernie
    There are some technical problems with achieving this functionality on the Mac with a decent frame rate. The first is that every window on the screen is basically an OpenGL texture that the WindowServer flushes to the GL pipeline as it sees fit. This is very different from the OS9/Classic days when the screen buffer was simply an array of pixels. Sending the windows to the graphics card is fast. Reading the entire screen back is slow.

Nevertheless, I believe Ambrosia software has an application to do this for recording screen presentations.

Gen Kiyooka
    Digigami
    Quote Quote  
  3. I use the Ambrosia software my self to capture video from the screen,

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

and its absolutely awesome, captures at full 25fps with audio no problem, never misses a frame, even from the DVD player app, get it you wont be dissapointed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by RipTasticMate
    I use the Ambrosia software my self to capture video from the screen,

and its absolutely awesome, captures at full 25fps with audio no problem, never misses a frame, even from the DVD player app, get it you wont be dissapointed.
    Good to know. What class of Mac and version of OSX are running?

Gen
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's an AGP Sawtooth with a Powerlogix 800mhz processor, 768meg, Geforce 4MX 32meg graphics and OS10.3.8. not fastest machine ever but good enough
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hey thanks for the help -- I will try snapz

Bernie
    Quote Quote  
  7. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RipTasticMate
    I use the Ambrosia software my self to capture video from the screen,

Just remember not to move your mouse across the movie window while recording! It drives me nuts when I'm halfway through watching my snapz-recorded clip and I see the damn mouse cursor fly across the screen.
    Tim Houghton
    WebsitePhotography
    Quote Quote  
  8. For me personally the snapz program was just too detailed and complicated. I kinda just wanted a easy (apple,shift,4) type of deal for may be shareware 10 bucks.

I know it might be asking too much.....

Bernie
    Quote Quote  
  9. Everyone I've talked to said that SnapzPro was unusable to capture full size DV or DVD video at 720x480 pixels. Apparently your machine slows to a total crawl and things eventually lock up (even on a G5). If you capture to a smaller size like 1/4 frame size, there is apparently no problem.
    Quote Quote