VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    First question is how come through DC++ the video files pick up the freezes in divfix?

But on Emule and torrents etc if the files have freezes divfix doesnt pick them up?

Ok the main question, i tried playing a video file and this pop up popped up that said 'AVI Splitter' and then said something about interleaving it was a little graph thiing in black and red where whenever i moved the mouse the numbers changed up the top, then it said something about if it were to be on cd-rom it would play slow..

help!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Remux the avi with VirtualDubMod or AVIMuxGUI.
    You could also try using a differnt avi splitter. Think that popup is from Gabest's one.

Bittorrent and emule both have error checking. If the source file doesn't have errors, then neither should yours. Not sure about DC++.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    Remux the avi with VirtualDubMod or AVIMuxGUI.
    You could also try using a differnt avi splitter. Think that popup is from Gabest's one.
    But that error i have, isit a prob with the codecs i have installed wld it play same as it would on pc if those codecs werent there does it mean my version of that film is bad or its a bad encode anyway..??
    thanks for the help

Bittorrent and emule both have error checking. If the source file doesn't have errors, then neither should yours. Not sure about DC++.
    Thanks, where are the features on emule and bit comet for error checking or does it all happen automatically, so if it was guna be a bad source emule or bit comet would automaticaly correct them anyway, so thats why divfix doesnt pick up the freezes cos its already been corrected if there r any errors? i did download one film on emule tho and it was blocky so that must mean it was a bad rip because it didnt pick up any errors on divfix at all. So are bad encodes not really seen by these programs as having errors its only bad source downloads divfix picks up?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It also sorupises me to see how many people do have corrupt sources, what can cause them to have corrupt sources i suppose half is just a data transfer data loss but then the other half has to be bad sources off the ppl, but what can cause them to have the dodgy copy their hard drive in bad health from over heat? sectors? etc..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't say anything about codecs. I simply said to remux. The audio and video remains the same.

Yep, happens automatically. If the source is bad, then the error checking would make sure that your source is also bad. The idea is to make sure that what you get is bit identical to the source.

If there are a lot of copies available then generally the source should be good.

Just because something won't playback properly doesn't always mean that it is bad though. Anything that doesn't play right. Try it with mplayer or VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ok cheers but playback wont get worse over time then? it will stay like it is, yeah?

anyway i did do a scan with it on divfix and theres no errors logged.

There werent many sources, you're right. Are you sure it was just a bad source and not a bad encode? What can playback be like when pop ups like that come up, can it be blocky at all or out of sync. I did watch a bit of it and it was very slightly out of sync not that much. Anyway, what will remuxing it do?

It looks like i got a bad source then, i dont really mind this mate, except i dont wont it to get worse over time? You know, sort of gradually get more out of sync.

Thanks for the help mate.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Remuxing will make sure that it is properly interleaved.
    As long as your storage medium doesn't degrade then the file won't. The 1's will always be 1's and the 0's will always be 0's.

My point about there being lots of sources was that hopefully if someone downloads a bad file (corrupt or just poorly encoded), they remove it or maybe rename to original.broken or similar.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    do you mean storage as in hard disk drives and cds? and if they did i will get freezes wont i but no quality loss like you would a video tape?

a bad file pporly encoded would mean say a 3 hour film ripped at 600 mb?

And if it is a 3 hour film ripped at 600 mb the quality wld be crap but it wldnt get worse would it the quality?? if i did have corrupt sources of hard drive problems i would get really pixelated parts and freezes?

and where u said 'As long as your storage medium doesn't degrade then the file won't' did u mean degrade as in not loose quality go faded but freezes, sudden lock ups and pixelated bits in the movie?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What ever it is stored on; CD, DVD, HDD, zip disk, whatever. There is none of the gradual quality loss that you get with analogue stuff.

Poorly encoded could mean lots of things. If the 3 hour 600MB encode used full DVD res, and non SBC DivX3 then I would say it definatly qualifies.

Well for example with CD's, some sectors may become unreadable, which for something like avi's that don't handle errors well can be quite bad. In the case of a HDD you could get bad sectors or it could simply crash, killing the entire file.

If you have the space you could include par2 files to cover you incase of bad sectors.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    this will never be played on a dvd player so it wont need muxing will it??

where u said poorly encoded could mean.. So what did you mean by all that did you mean that if its a 3 hour film and ripped at 650 mb the quality will always stay the same, the same it would with any other rip unless of course i had drive problems like sectors etc??

So do these things cover everything that could happen on digital files, bits where the screen fills up with blocks caused from sectors or a bad source or where it freezes which is caused by the same things..am i correct here??

How do i do this par2 thing anyway??
    My other question was if i zip up an avi file will i get quality loss the answer must be no because you dont get quality loss in digital files do you?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Zip is lossless.

For creating par2 files, check out quickpar.

If you just got a file and it freezes or gets blocky with sound scretches or pops then, yeah I would say either a bad source or a problem with the download (not really possible with ed2k or bittorrent).

I mean that if the file was at a properly selected resolution then you couldn't call it poorly encoded. Like say I wanted to encode a 3hour movie for use on a pocket PC. With that res maybe 600-650MB's is plenty enough. On the otherhand if I simply encode at the original DVD res, then I probably don't know what I am doing.

If the avi wasn't correctly muxed, then yes I would say that it needs remuxing. avi-->avi though not avi-->mpg,vob or anything else.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    For creating par2 files, check out quickpar.
    Is it quite easy to do, and this will stop sectors affecting the things i par up yeah?

Thanks mate. If i have a 700 mb film though thats good quality over time it wont start to look like a 3 hour film that has been ripped at 600 mb will it. Ill explain a bit more theres diffwerent types of blocky aint there, theres blocky if u do a crap rip and its not clear enough, then theres the freeze bad sector type blocky, eventually over time films wont end up the type of blocky it would be if it were a bad encode would they? If u know what i mean.

If the avi wasn't correctly muxed, then yes I would say that it needs remuxing. avi-->avi though not avi-->mpg,vob or anything else.
    But over time sound will not get more out of sync on this file will it? It's going to be used for pc use only to watch and it wont get moreo ut of sync as time goes on even if i don't mux it?
    What would be the need for remuxing, would it be because the playback would be different on a dvd player, but on the pc it should always stay the same shouldnt it??
    Quote Quote