VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do You Ever Use The Subtitles On Your DVDs?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have over 400 DVDs and have never once used the subtitles in any occasion.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I used them quite often. Seems everytime I get in to a good movie someone calls....that way I can keep up with the movie without having to pause or stop and come back to it.

Sabro
    www.sabronet.com - It's all you need...to know
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use them most of the time but most of the DVDs I make are foreign films.
    "No matter how far a jackass travels, it won't come back a horse" Batou - Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Only occasionally....

Sometimes on a quite passage or some phrase thats garbled and never understood what they said!!

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sometimes
    Kill Bill is a perfect example, the vast majority of the film is in English, but the scene where Lucy Liu cuts the other gang bosses head off is in Japanese and if you don't keep the smallest of the subtitle files, you don't know what the hell is going on
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    sometimes
    Kill Bill is a perfect example, the vast majority of the film is in English, but the scene where Lucy Liu cuts the other gang bosses head off is in Japanese and if you don't keep the smallest of the subtitle files, you don't know what the hell is going on

Yep, i backed up my import of the uncut kill bill and did'nt keep the subs and had to make another one
    Quote Quote  
  7. Especially when I am listening to Director's commentary, I will use the subtitles to see what is being said by the characters.

And sometimes in some movies, there is noise/explosions going on in the scene and their exact words are hard to hear, so I will use the subtitles to see what I missed.

But if there is no directors commentary or garbled dialog then I usually don't turn on the subtitles.
    Cendyne/Pioneer 105 & 104 with a Dazzle* Hollywood DV-Bridge.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nope
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i usually only watch them on movies i really like, after i've watched it a few times normally, and then with the commentary..

i've noticed that a lot of dvd subtitles are chalked full of errors.. more than half at the least.. you'd think there would be some type of quality control.. they've probably outsourced it to india..
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've used them on some anime that are in Japanese language to translate. Other than that, no.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I must say I find this poll to be a very stupid one since it all depend on with country you live in and what languge you speak.

An example: I live in sweden so I do subs on 99% of all my movies since they are in a different language (mostly english). My reason, my some of my friends and my parents do not speaks english to a degree where they can follow the movie without subs.

So if you live in the US (or other english speaking country) you only have to subtitel maybe 1% of all you movies Or if you have a friend or relative that have hearing problems then you might do all 100%.

still this poll shows a result that is just stupid since many countries around the world do audio-dubbing instead of subtitles (like Germany, Italy, Spain and France). so those guys probably do not do so much subbtiteling either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Originally Posted by bacardi/avt
    must say I find this poll to be a very stupid one
    Hey! Don't be dissin TGPO!! :P :P

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I must say I find this poll to be a very stupid one since it all depend on with country you live in and what languge you speak.
    ....which is why there are numerous options.
    Quote Quote  
  14. SORRY...I was just in a serius mode earlier....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a, now, 18 week old son and mostly end up watching my discs late night or (with series discs) in bed. Since my hearing is less than stellar anyway the subs are usually switched on at this point.

The other time would be, as someone said above, if I'm listening to the commentary track.

Otherwise if its a movie with no foreign language tracks then no, it probably wont go on.

Edz
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, Never

I'm native to and live in an english-speaking country, and I only buy english-speaking DVDs.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup I use english subtitles for my REGION 3 MARTIAL ARTS MOVIES.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    im like wingnut

have youngs kids and watch movies when theyre in bed
    Quote Quote  
  19. I find it odd that most only buy movies in their native tongue. How sad to miss out on the culture of film from other countries.
    And even with English speaking films you cannot hear everything w/o subtitles. At least half the films are filmed that way.

For example; try the beginning of "Ladder 49" and then go back with the subs on and read the radio chatter you never heard with the subs off.
    Even during the movie with all the noise I dare say not anyone could repeat every line said by the actors.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I watch a lot of Foreign Language films, so yea, I use subtitles.

On many older Foreign Language films, the subtitles aren't even optional - they're on the screen whether you want them there or not.

Those are more annoying, 'cause they're in the movie itself and not in the letterbox space below...and if it's an old Black & White film, the white subtiles are faint and usually very hard to read.

If a movie is heavy on accents, the subtitles come in handy

I'll also turn 'em on for a scene or two to make sure what I thought was being said was in fact what was being said - there are a few times where you think you heard it differently and it's a bit surprising to read what was actually spoken.
    Sort of like reading song lyics - you just want to make sure you heard it right.

I usually don't watch the whole movie with subtitles on unless it's a Foreign Language film, and only turn 'em on after I've seen the movie once or a few times.

For a handful of movies, I get a kick out of watching with the alternate language audio tracks - usually since the voices are a far cry from the actors' real voice

CaddyShack in Spanish and Every Which Way But Loose in French are hilarious.

Even serious dramas become comedies 8)
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, here goes... Always copy and use the the subtitles.Some reasons same as posted above...lots of times you just can't hear the actors. This is common place with B movies. Also, I never have one tv on. Usually 3. 1 big screen flanked by 2 20" Without the subtitles, too much sound overload.
    Now to be honest, I don't always watch all three, but its like having moving art on the walls. It's a nice background.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I use them alot, especially when watching movies with others. I get sick and tired of hearing "what did they say?" when one of the actors says something inaudible during a loud action sequence. My response now is "Can't you read?"
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by ROF
    I use them alot, especially when watching movies with others. I get sick and tired of hearing "what did they say?" when one of the actors says something inaudible during a loud action sequence. My response now is "Can't you read?"
    That is funny, I have a friend who can never follow a movie plot, perhaps it is hearing based, I say Stupid based, but turning on the subtitles like you do would be a great way around that
    Cendyne/Pioneer 105 & 104 with a Dazzle* Hollywood DV-Bridge.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use them when the language is one I don't speak. Or when it's hard to understand them or hear them. So not often.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I must say I find this poll to be a very stupid one since it all depend on with country you live in and what languge you speak.
    I have a friend who is Mexican American and his wife is from Mexico [very attractive] and he likes subtitles because he can learn English by reading the subtitles. And his wife can follow the movie by reading the subtitles in Spanish.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I kept them on the LOTR backup so I could loan them to my Mom who can't hear well and had no idea what Gollum was saying.

I prefer them to dubbed english as well.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Late at night when everybody is sleeping I use them so I don't wake anybody up.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    On some movies I have little choice, like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and The Passion of the Christ

But generally, no.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Being Deaf, yes I have to use them if there aren't captions.

The captions are not always exactly what is said, however, because sometimes there are too many words to fit on screen, I think therefore, Deaf people get a slighty variated version of a film. Also, if the captions don't identify WHO is talking, then you kinda have to guess.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    They have their uses....

watching quietly
    garbled dialogue (or bad surround mixing which snarfles it on my mono tv )
    making things a little more understandable when the volume goes in-out on a directors commentary
    proving to dippy relatives that yes, that character really DID just say that
    and of course all my foreign language discs (all of the readily available studio Ghibli titles, and some french ones). Watching the english dub makes things easier to follow, but they never quite seem to get the true meaning of it right, nor the inflection - lost in translation indeed. Sometimes you need the literal subs over the top of the original language to get the proper feel for it, rather than a heavily compromised translation squashed to make the lipsynch work.
    Besides, the original versions of the Taxi trilogy never were dubbed into any other language - c'est francais en plein ou avec soustitlés. (I have no doubt the dub would be utterly crap anyway.. indeed even the subtitles can be heard to twist things a little if you know a smattering of french)

pazu, daijobu?
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote