VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. im trying to back up my apocalypse now DVD but everytime it starts burning i get this error "dvd shrink encountered an error and cannot continue failed to read file *E:\* the parameter is incorrect". can someome please help thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I take it that E:\ is your DVD-ROM or DVD Burner drive ?

Try ripping to your HDD with DVDDecrypter firtst, then feed that into DVDShrink.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Edit
    Quote Quote  
  4. " Try ripping to your HDD with DVDDecrypter firtst, then feed that into DVDShrink."

I keep reading the same, the sentence in quotes above. My question is how exactly is this done? Before all that though - what mode should I use to rip all of the contents of the DVD to the HD using Decrypter - File or ISO mode? I use CloneDvd2 to burn.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

The easiest way to rip with DVD Decrypter (to files for use with DVD shrink) is the use the right-click context menu. Open up My Computer, right click on the DVD drive with the movie in it and select the option names "Decrypt DVD" near the top. This will automatically select the right format to work with DVD Shrink.

Hope that helps,
    Tom

Originally Posted by MoviesBx
    " Try ripping to your HDD with DVDDecrypter firtst, then feed that into DVDShrink."

I keep reading the same, the sentence in quotes above. My question is how exactly is this done? Before all that though - what mode should I use to rip all of the contents of the DVD to the HD using Decrypter - File or ISO mode? I use CloneDvd2 to burn.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. "Open up My Computer, right click on the DVD drive with the movie in it and select the option names "Decrypt DVD" near the top. This will automatically select the right format to work with DVD Shrink."

Thanks for your reply Tom,

So you're saying I don't have to open the DVD Decrypter program directly? If so I did not understand when you stated "select the option names "Decrypt DVD".

Once I actually get past this first step what is it that I have to do with Shrink and these files.

By the way I am not a newbie. I have been using Shrink and CloneDvd2 for well over a year. My problem now is that I have to rely now on Decrypter for the the ripping process since Shrink is having problems with newer DVD's. Please advice.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVDDecrypter in either File mode or ISO Read mode is fine. If you do File mode, all files should be selected by default, and this is a necessity for DVDShrink, otherwise it will more than likely give you a "Cannot find file ..." error. Once the disc has been ripped, you can then open the files by pressing the Open Files button in DVDShrink (as opposed to the Open Disc button you're used to) or you can go to File > Open Disc Image if you used ISO Read mode.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Jimmalenko thank you so much for claryfying that. I am going to be picking file mode because the only thing I use Shrink for is to Transcode the files. I then use CloneDvd2 to actually do the burning process (selecting and deselecting what I want to keep and then what I don't and I need access to all of the files).

One quick question once the rip has completed and I try opening it with Shrink and go to the Open Files button do I choose all of the files or just the folder in which they are in which is virtually the same thing (VIDEO_TS or something like that)?

I will try this tonight once I get home.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It asks you for the location of a folder with DVD files in it, so in this case, the VIDEO_TS folder.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks Malenko...If i have any problems i'll make sure to seek you.

MoviesBx
    Quote Quote  
  11. Unfortunately the process didn't work for me (using Decrypter to rip and Shrink to then transcode the files. The rip end with Decrypter appears fine. I then go to my C drive where I have the VIDEO_TS folder with the movie's files. I follow that up by selecting the folder once I am promted to do so by Shrink and I get the following error message: " DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Invalid data in file "C:\RUMBLE_IN_THE_BRONX\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB" . I took the pic below from another forum member who is complaining about the same problem. He posted this pic and this is exactly what i get, the difference is that my error message ends with a 1:

As you can tell I was trying to rip Rumble In The Bronx.

By the way, I tried ripping Taxi using the exact same method and it worked. However, before I had tried ripping Taxi through Decrypter I tried directly with Shrink and that worked as well. Could it had been that Rumble In The Bronx didn't work because it was already under 4.7GB (DVD-R).

I am using the latest version of both programs.

What should I do?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hey, download a program called "ifo edit", and open the vob file that is giving you grief, in it. The experience I had, was that the movie I tried, had a DTS audio track in it, that dvd shrink dosen't recognize. This could be your case. To fix it, you have to strip the DTS track from the VOB file, "ifo edit", can do this. If this isn't the case, we'll try again.
    Quote Quote