VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK,

I get this problem sometimes but I just can't figure it out. this does not happen with all my Mpeg files.

I have perfectly sync mpeg encoded by TMPGEnc.

-I started with a PAL mpeg 526x480 @ 25fps.
    -Demuxed mpeg, coverted audio to 23.97 with BeSweet
    -Ecoded video to 352x480 23.97fps, 2:3 pulldown

-When I was done I had a 352x480 @ 23.97fps, 2:3 pulldown Mpeg that plays back fine in Power DVD 100% in sync.

The problem starts in the authoring stage. The movie starts out fine but falls out of sync toward the last quater of the movie. (VOB Files)

-Is my 2:3 pulldown during encoding causing the sync problem
    -I noticed DVDLab show the files as 3:2 pulldown when I input the file.

I don't understand my encoded mpeg files always come out fine. DVDLab is doing something strange with the audio and video files

I tried the audio delay but that does not work because if I fix that last quarter to be in sync, then it throws the rest of thre movie out of sync.

There has to be an answer. Please help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do people reply on this site or what
    Quote Quote  
  3. Patience grasshopper
    Besweet is known to cause this. Going from 25fps to 23.976fps results in sync problems. Period.
    Don't do audio in tmpgenc.
    Are you changing the frequency of the audio?
    Are you transcoding it to...what...?
    Why are you remuxing, then demuxing in DVDLab, only to remux it again?
    Better to do audio separately after ripping it out with virtualdub, transcode to what you need, then import it during authoring, not before.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Final mpeg plays fine.

So I should not use Besweet any more

Is fact that I encode my video in TMPGEnc with 2:3 pulldown affecting DVDLab when authoring th DVD files

Yes my audio file is 48k, I use TMPGenc to make it 48k, I do it all at once with my video file in TMPGEnc, so when the encode is done I have one finished NTSC Mpeg.

Therefore I should encode the video alone in TMPGEnc
    Encode the audio with a more reliable program

Then all should be fine

If that is the case Why do I end up with nice NTSC mpeg, then when DVDLab authors the file to VOB's it gets out of sync

I don't mean to be anal I just want to know the cause of the problem this way I can fix it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having a similar problem with a project and this thread seemed relevant, though I didn't see the solution.

I took a DVD file and demuxed the VOBs into their elementary streams. I then re-edited the M2V and AC3 file to remove certain portions using Womble MPEG Video Wizard. The GOP structure needed to be fixed, so I did that prior to any editing. I exported the final "mix" to a .mpg file, retaining the original video and audio quality. The remixed, remuxed mpeg file is perfectly in sync for its entire 2+ hour run.

I then use DVDLab Pro to author the MPEG to DVD format. DVDLab Pro demuxes the new M2V and AC3 streams, then remuxes the streams back into VOB format (along with a set of subtitles I created). The final DVD drifts out of sync during the 2+ hour run (starting to become noticable 1/4-way through, and being about a full second off by the end).

What's the solution for getting things in sync? Does it need to be handled in the export from Womble, or in the authoring in DVDLab Pro?
    Quote Quote  
  6. You need to let womble fix it.
    Once you're done editing, you will find the audio and video are different lengths.
    I would export from womble as elementary streams, not a muxed mpg.
    I rip audio using virtualdubmod, then transcode in ffmpeggui to AC3 (or mp2) 48khz.
    I then load the m2v created by tmpgenc, and the AC3 into DVDLab.
    Never had sync problems yet.
    BTW, tmpgenc usually sucks at doing correct audio transcoding (IMHO).
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  7. Though the hardcore DVDLab lovers will deny this, DVDLab has at times had problems with it's demuxer. Don't let DLP demux anything for you. Input seperate video and audio streams into DLP then all should be fine as long as they are in sync at the time of import.
    Mark
    Quote Quote  
  8. As I said above, "I would export from womble as elementary streams, not a muxed mpg."
    I agree, the demuxer isn't the best, and I AM a hardcore DVDLab lover
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I made a disc with DVDlab to practice using the program. I'd make a menu screen with several options and a 10sec clip (which has worked flawlessly in the past on DVDs)

Intermittently, the DVDlab authored disc plays the audio for this 10sec clip about 3/4 of a sec late. It'll do it 3 or 4 times then next time you select it on the menu it plays fine for 3 or 4 goes.
    The original mpeg2 file was created in TMPGEnc and demuxed when imported by DVDlab.

Very strange!

On the weekend I used DVDlab to put my 3 Austin Powers SVCDs onto DVD. Imported the SVCD mpegs and DVDlab demuxed then transcoded the audio from 44 to 48khz. The bitrate for the 48khz was 192 but I think the original 44 version may have been 224.
    I did have some slight sync issues that weren't present on the SVCDs.
    Could this have been a result of the audio transcoding ?

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  10. If it's intermittent, then it's not DVDLab, it's the media, or the player, because whatever's on the disk doesn't change.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, when the sync is out the picture also has this faint flicker every second.
    Media was a Ritek DVD+RW and Player is a Pioneer DV-270S (DV-275S)
    Might try my DVD-RW
    Quote Quote  
  12. Again, it's media, or player.
    If it were a consistent problem, in the same place every time, with the same problem, I might suspect DVDLab, or mixed assets, but because it's random and intermittent, it's got to be media or the player/media combination.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On the weekend I used DVDlab to put my 3 Austin Powers SVCDs onto DVD. Imported the SVCD mpegs and DVDlab demuxed then transcoded the audio from 44 to 48khz. The bitrate for the 48khz was 192 but I think the original 44 version may have been 224.
    I did have some slight sync issues that weren't present on the SVCDs.
    Could this have been a result of the audio transcoding ?
    I think using non-standard files (SVCD mpegs and the resampling of the audio) could be the problem...
    George
    Quote Quote  
  14. If it were a mixed assets issue, then it would happen in exactly the same place, with the same problem, on the standalone.
    DVDLab (hopefully) transcoded all the audio to the same format at 48khz (or this was done externally). It simply won't let you compile unless you purposely turn off compliance.
    Any time you change the frequency of an audio track, you run the risk of sync problems.
    It's best to do audio externally, in something like ffmpeggui, or Tmpgenc's AC3 encoder, then import to DVDLab. Tmpgenc is notorious for messing up audio transcoding (from .wav to .mp2), and DVDLab's transcoding tool isn't the best either.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was the author of this thread and I did many movies in DVDLab but occasionally I get this problem. I always use Besweet to go from 25fps - 23.97.

When my mpeg is fully converted to NTSC the playback is perfect.

As I said above, "I would export from womble as elementary streams, not a muxed mpg."
    I agree, the demuxer isn't the best, and I AM a hardcore DVDLab lover
    I tried seperate streams, still not luck
    Is it possible for my mpeg to play back fine and the audio stream be still out of sync but not being shown on playback or is this a DVDLab causing the problem.

DVDLab should author exactly what the mpeg is, am I wrong
    Quote Quote  
  16. The computer can play just about anything. It appears in sync, because of the codecs used to decode it while playing.
    Once transcoded and authored, it's totally different, and may, or may not be in sync on any given player.
    Again, this is not a dvdlab problem. It simply takes what you give it, and author's it. It does not encode anything. It attempts to transcode audio, but only if needed, when adding assets. If the audio is transcoded externally, dvdlab will simply author it.
    If sync is out, it must be fixed before importing, and most software players can't tell you if it's in sync or not, they simply play the muxed file.
    Sync goes out in either the demuxing process, or the transcoding process.
    Because the NTSC works, but the PAL does not, it must be a problem in the transcoding process.
    Dvdlab doesn't author mpeg's, it authors elementary streams, and assumes that the running time of audio and video are the same, or it truncates audio, if it's longer than the video stream.
    Adjust the audio in Goldwave to be the same length as video, and it should be in sync.
    Who cares if the audio is 23fps, or 29fps? The running time is the key.
    Extract the audio to raw .wav
    Adjust running time in Goldwave.
    Transcode to AC3 in ffmpeggui.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Adjust the audio in Goldwave to be the same length as video, and it should be in sync.
    Who cares if the audio is 23fps, or 29fps? The running time is the key.
    Extract the audio to raw .wav
    Adjust running time in Goldwave.
    How do you do this in Goldwave? step by step

Can you measure the video file in goldwave, can goldwave compare both streams? What do you use to trancode to wav? Then use ffmpeggui.

A step by step would by nice, thanks
    Quote Quote  
  18. Open the mpg in virtualdubmod.
    Click File, file info. That tells you how long the video is.
    Extract audio in virtualdubmod, full processing mode, to .wav
    Open .wav in Goldwave.
    Click Effect, TimeWarp.
    Choose seconds, make it as long as the video.
    Click File, Save as, .wav signed PCM 16 bit.
    Open the .wav in ffmpeggui. Transcode to AC3, 224kbps.
    Load the mpg into DVDLab.
    Demux if needed.
    Discard the audio track.
    Import the AC3.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, i really appreciate it
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently the problem was indeed in Womble's output. I'm unsure if its a bug, or simply the nature of the file, but here is what I did:

As suggested (and incidentally as I also figured out on my own simultaneously) I output to individual streams. Then, to check things, I created a new Womble project and loaded in the two streams. As expected, the streams were of different lengths. Scratch DVDLab Pro off the list of culprits.

I re-exported several times and each time the length of the MPV was consistent. I then re-edited the output MPV file to repeat occasional frames wherever a shot would change (it's easier to mask repeated frames that way). I used my trusty old-fashioned calculator to determine roughly where each edit should be made, so the film would be forced to re-sync every X minutes. After a few trials-and-errors, I got a file that is the same length as the AC3, which I never touched after the original export, to keep a solid baseline.

What an awful way to do this project, but the ends seem to justify the means. Do any of you have ideas why frames would be dropped in this manner? It hasn't been a problem before, but this project had a significant number of edits. I get the feeling it has something to do with the 2:3 pulldown and where my edits are placed in relation to the "repeated" frame in a video stream. Perhaps a frame gets dropped here and there if it is a repeated frame, and the only way to force it back in is to manually repeat another frame elsewhere in the stream? In essence, that's what I've done, but I'm quite the novice so I can only guess about the cause.
    Quote Quote  
  21. It's much easier to adjust the audio, than the video.
    That's why Goldwave's timewarp function works.
    Sony Soundforge would do the same thing, adjust the audio, not the video.
    Most applications take the video stream as the baseline, even if it's been edited.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No Luck still out synce when authored in DVDLab I dont know what the problem is.

Mpeg plays fine when authors it gets all messedup even if I change the length
    Quote Quote  
  23. The sync is going out during the editing process.
    Here's what i would do.
    Rip audio in virtualdubmod from the source.
    Encode video.
    Make sure the audio and video have the same name, different extention. eg: mymovie.m2v and mymovie.ac3
    Load the m2v into Cuttermaran.
    Edit. Save.
    Author and test.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've made sure the audio was the same length with instructions you said above but still no luck. Remember I going from PAL to NTSC 25 - 23.97.

The audio problem is gradual, the audio can't keep up with video. May be there is something wrong with my origianl demux from the source file I use a framserving program that creates a .d2v file and my mpa audio but the file is automatically called mpa delay file, but the file is the same size as if I demuxed with TMPGEnc, I tested it.

Could this be the cause? Should I just use the mp2 file from TMPGEnc?
    Quote Quote  
  25. You may NOT want the audio to be the same length.
    Progressive sync can be fixed, but adding a delay won't do it, that just makes it progressively more out of sync
    Try what I posted above, and see if the problem persists.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what do I do in Cutterman?? Why and How would I edit the m2v file??
    Quote Quote  
  27. I thought you wanted to cut portions of the video out?
    Cuttermaran can do frame accurate cuts, and won't re-encode.
    I'm just not familiar with womble, and if that's causing the problem, I wouldn't use it.
    If not, just rip audio, transcode to ac3, and use that as the audio source in dvdlab.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are talking about the guy earlier, I just have a gradual sync problem only when I am going from PAL - NTSC, 25fps -23.97fps.

If not, just rip audio, transcode to ac3, and use that as the audio source in dvdlab
    Thats exactly what I did and it gradually fall out of sync, when I adjust the time to be the same using timewarp in Goldwave it gets worse

DVDLab is doing something. I demux it falls out of sync I put the files in separately, it does the samething.

What is the difference between using AC3 file or mpa/mp2? Does DVDLab work better with AC3 ? is my mpa/mp2 the cause?

Remeber I my mpeg plays perfect before authoring.

Sorry to be a pain but there has to be a reason or a fix.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Then use GUIforDVDauthor.
    And now answer for the guy earlier:
    Better to convert regarding this topic:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261056
    Hey wait a minute!
    I demux it falls out of sync I put the files in separately, it does the samething.
    This is the same. In both cases DVDLab get the files separately!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then use GUIforDVDauthor.

Damn, this program sux, still waiting for a solution for gradual out of sync with a perfectly sync mpeg.
    Quote Quote