VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just wanted to get some opinions on those that have updated from Toast 6.05/6.07 to 6.0.9.

I've read some people have had registration issues, but I'm more interested to hear if anybody has had any performance problems.

Any weird problems/experiences (especially as it relates to backing up DVD's)?

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I didn't see any changes, either good or bad. I only use Toast to burn data and DVDs tough, I don't use the more advanced fonctions (video encoding, etc).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something might have changed in how Toast 6.0.9 processes SVCD-compatible 480x480 MPEG-2 files exported from EyeTV that are burned as DVD-Video. Pretty sure I remember older versions re-encoding those files and significantly increased their size. That, and my set-top player having trouble with SVCD playback, is why I switched to 720x480 MPEG-2 EyeTV recordings.

A few days ago I burned a DVD-Video with six MPEG-2 files; two of them were older SVCD-sized leftovers. Toast did some sort of audio demuxing but seemed to leave the video untouched, which made processing time faster. Later, when I tested playback on my set-top box the video for those two files was "left-shifted" (uncentered) on my 4:3 TV, with a black bar filling about a 1/4 of the right side of the screen. With DVD Player and VLC all video is centered on my 20" iMac display (as expected).

I don't mind burning a few remaining older recordings that'll have funky left-shifted TV playback since it's more efficient than re-encoding them at 720x480 with degraded quality which uses more space and takes more time. And I can watch those few exceptions on the computer if TV playback bothers me.

Anyway, I don't understand that behavior (yet) since I didn't think a 480x480 file could remain at that resolution on a DVD-Video format disk, and don't have an older version of Toast handy to double-check it's really a change with 6.0.9. Does anyone have an explanation?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like your set-top player is not compatible with SVCD-on-DVD, framesize wise. Just like my Pioneer. The DVD standard doesn't require players to handle it, but some of the cheaper players seem to handle it anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Playback of SVCD-on-CD with my Pioneer DV-C503 has an unwatchable "mirrored" video effect so I was surprised that it handles SVCD-on-DVD more acceptably. And I didn't know SVCD-on-DVD was possible although after reading your helpful post (thanks) I've noticed there's a special DVD-SVCD format. I'd expected Toast would reencode it with a standard DVD resolution but am glad that it doesn't.
    Quote Quote