VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Do Apple DVD burners only take Apple DVD-R's? I have some non-Apple brand DVD+R's and DVD-R's both don't seem to be recognized when I try to use them to burn something on iDVD. Are Mac's exclusive to Apple DVD's whether they be +R, -R, RW etc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, no you can use any brand of dvd/cd just make sure you invest in a good brand i.e. TDK, Ritek, Verbatim, most people use dvd-r but I guess it depends on your stand alone dvd player and what it is able to read...
    Enjoy
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on drive, and operating system. Fill in your computer details for more help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mac OS X
    Internal DVD Burner
    It's G% dual process 1.8 ghz, so all the specs of that computer.
    If it helps the two brands I've tried using on this drive are Phillips and Maxell. Phillips is DVD+R and Maxell is DVD-R.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Burning rewritable DVD-RW can be useful and cost-effective for certain things. -R/-RW media was Mac compatible before +R/+RW but Mac support for the latter has improved. This site has plenty of useful info about different media types/formats, even if certain statistical data is out-of-date.

I've been satisfied with Ritek/Ridata DVD-R/RW (4x) and +R (8x) media I bought last year. I'll use 8x DVD-R instead of 4x in the future now that I have Pioneer DVR-107 firmware that supports it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Would HP DVD-R's be ok?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    your internal dvd burner, which type is it?
    Go to blue apple at top left of screen, choose about this mac, then click MORE INFO in the window that pops up.

Now look to ATA and you will see a list of your HD's and Optical drives. The profile for the optical drive will be listed. Copy and paste it here.

the G5's come with dual format drive, so there should be no problem with + or -r disks. however some drives tend to be picky with media brands

I have a DVR-108 that just HATES maxell disks so i dont use them. Ritek and TDK have been the top preformers for me. meritline.com has riteks for really cheap now that dual layer disks have hit the scene

the only way to find out if a disk works is to give her a go

also, what burning software are you using? Disc Utility or Toast or some other app?
    Quote Quote