VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have a couple general questions about firmware. I bought my burner in Toronto and it has Firmware version 1.01 installed on it. I have found a type of media I like (Verbatim DVD+R 4X) that burns very nicely.

Should I mess with a good thing, or is it always a benefit to move to the current firmware? Other than installing the wrong firmware for my drive, are there any risks involved with moving up?

Lastly if I do decide to move up to 1.17, does it matter whether I pull the upgrade file from the Pioneer USA, Europe or Australia website? They all seem the same but have slightly different file names.

Thanks so much everyone.

TK
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would be surprised if the newer firmware would mess up the writing of an older Verbatim +R. Also, even though Pioneer US maintains that the firmwares from different Pioneer sites MIGHT be different, no one I have read here has found this to be true. Lastly, I have updated Pioneer drives many times without problems. As long as you select the correct drive and your power doesn't die you should be OK. With newer media and improved write strategies I have found it worth the risk; so much so that I just got a new RAM drive and I would not buy Panasonic because they refuse to update firmware.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  3. I flashed the 109 to firmware 1.40 after getting some really bad scans with fw 1.05 on crap media (optodisk) my bro gave me. The disks burned with fw1.05 gave quite good scans with fw1.40, and those burnt with fw1.40 gave even better scans. The biggest improvement was in the reading ability, now i can even read -R disks burned with NEC ND1300A.
    Quote Quote