VideoHelp Forum

Poll: About Disney No Longer Making Hand Drawn Animation...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I Do Not Care Either Way
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is there an article somewhere saying that Disney will no longer be making hand drawn animation? Anyway, if this were the case, I Wish They Would Reconsider!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I Do Not Care Either Way
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if its hand drawn or cgi -- almost all the work is farmed out to korea or china anyway ..

so its really a moot point ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the first time in my short history with this site, I voted for the TGPO option. GOD!!! What is wrong with me? Of course... I could care less about Disney... I hope they are rot in a EuroDisney HELL!!!! M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S----BLOW ME!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Disney did not farm out their animation... at least not for their feature films. Who the hell cares what they did with their television animation division?

Here's a link.

http://www.savedisney.com/news/se/wdfa_closure.asp

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dphirschler
    Disney did not farm out their animation... at least not for their feature films. Who the hell cares what they did with their television animation division?

Here's a link.

http://www.savedisney.com/news/se/wdfa_closure.asp

Darryl

true -- i meant a lot of other features and tv work and it looks like future disney work as they have no one else (and steve jobs really put down disney)

Pixar Chairman Steve Jobs has sharply criticized the Walt Disney Co., calling the Disney animated features Treasure Planet and Brother Bear duds and the sequels Return to Never Land and Lion King 1 1/2 "pretty embarrassing." He maintained that there had been little creative input from Disney on Pixar's hit films "for years." Jobs made the comments in an interview with the Los Angeles Times and during a conference call with analysts in which he announced that Pixar had recorded record profits for the fourth quarter and for 2003. He said that it had earned $83.9 million for the quarter and $124.8 million for the year. Jobs, who broke off negotiations with Disney to extend its distribution deal, said that he has heard from every major studio in Hollywood since. He told the Times that he expected to begin formal negotiations with them next month, adding that it was "very unlikely" that talks with Disney would be revived. A Disney spokesperson responded that it was "sad and unfortunate that [Jobs] has resorted to insults and name-calling in the wake of the disagreement."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This decision is not new. We have a family friend friend whose son was a Disney animator for years. We used to watch the credits and see what part he worked on in various animated features. (I believe his name is Tony Anselmo.) Through him we learned at least two years ago that Disney had abandonded hand drawn animation. Forturnately our friend's son also did character voices and was able to stay on with Disney. I agree totally with the info in the above link and Job's assessment of Disney. Walt would be spinning in his grave if he knew what has happened to Disney in the last two decades. Successful businessmen are rarely good artists, and usually have no idea how to manage such talent. Fortunately Walt started as an artist, which is what made Disney great initially.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't care either.
    *** My computer can beat me at chess, but is no match when it comes to kick-boxing. ***
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I could care less... Japanese animation rules. 8)
    Frank Zappa: "People wouldn't know a good movie if it smacked 'em in the face."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I wish they'd reconsider. I mean eventually this ALL CG stuff will probably wear out and hand drawn animation will be brought back as this "new" craze

Kevin

EDIT - How was your vacation from polling TGPO??????
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    TGPO doing Dallas sealed their fate.

Now if they would just stop this silly concept of putting movies back in the vault, I would be happy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bazooka
    TGPO doing Dallas sealed their fate.

Now if they would just stop this silly concept of putting movies back in the vault, I would be happy.
    Hello,

Yeah what a stupid marketing gimmick - creating false shortage to hike up demand????

I mean I thought the whole point of putting movies out on dvd was so that you could have them FOREVER!

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Actualy the concept of putting back in the vauly was to keep from wearing out the product. This change under Money for Eisner concept of lets have 2 or more different copyies of the same thing.

Disney has had no real good ideal for a long time. Strange when they released Spirited Away they basiaclly treated it like a hot potato with only 714 houses showing it. Even when places ask for it they said no! And got it up to around 1000 when nominated for the Oscar it won!

This is a film that was blowing the doors off around the world. Winning major adward's. And what was Disney pushing at the time.... Tucker Everlasting and Treasure Planet! Both bombed hard! If it was not for Pixar and Ghibli films. They would have nothing.

And dont get me going on the Lion King ripoff!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smearbrick1
    For the first time in my short history with this site, I voted for the TGPO option. GOD!!! What is wrong with me?

Quote Quote  
  16. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by [url=https://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Windows_Media_Player
    tgpo[/url]]
    Originally Posted by smearbrick1
    For the first time in my short history with this site, I voted for the TGPO option. GOD!!! What is wrong with me?

First time for everything

I voted "Don't care". I was never much for animated movies so for me it doesn't matter a bit. My kids liked them, but they're grown up so ....meh!
    Quote Quote  
  17. I don't get it, what's "TPGO does the cast of Dallas?" Was that a Disney movie?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    i think one area where disney have got it wrong is with all those stupid "straight to video" sequels, you know like "peter pan 2" and the like. they just devalue the orginal films.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Disney is a big, smart machine that makes more money from licensing and distributing the product of other's talent than they do trying to recreate their golden age of animation with poorly thought out, badly drawn, unlikeable 2D features.

so it goes.
    never absorb anything bigger than your own head
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by boss
    i think one area where disney have got it wrong is with all those stupid "straight to video" sequels, you know like "peter pan 2" and the like. they just devalue the orginal films.
    Exactly. It seems Disney has been missing the point for years. Their bread and butter, everything the company is built around, the theme parks, the TV shows, merchandise, *everything* revolves around those beautifully animated classic stories and the characters in them. When they release those cheap sequels, they are making a quick buck, but at the expense of dilluting the value of those stories and characters.

For that reason, I am glad Katzenberg and friends formed Dreamworks. Their hand drawn animation is top notch and they put out great stories. I do wish Warner would do more animated movies. Last one I remember was "Anastasia" which was also very good. With Disney ending their hand drawn 2D animation, there is oppoortunity for others to step in and dominate.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  21. [quote="dphirschler"]
    Originally Posted by boss
    I am glad Katzenberg and friends formed Dreamworks. Their hand drawn animation is top notch and they put out great stories.
    What are some of the hand-drawn Dreamworks movies? I only know of live-action movies and CGI movies by Dreamworks.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I know of these:
    Prince of Egypt
    The Road to Eldorado
    Spirit - Satillion of the Cimmaron

Are there others?

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by dphirschler
    Prince of Egypt
    The Road to Eldorado
    yawn... Oh I'm sorry, I seem to have fallen asleep there! What were you saying again? What hand-drawn movies have they made?

Quote Quote  
  24. Actually I liked Anastasia pretty well, but it was still a little too Don Bluth-y. Sorry, but that guy has an animation style that bugs the crap out of me. You can always tell a Don Bluth film... There's some sickening quality about them that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it has to do with the crazy type of effects he draws, or the way his people all look really similar, or how he always has some character with French accent, or the comedic style... Or maybe it's the queer tone the colors have... I don't know what it is, but Don Bluth films give me gas. I don't know what it is, I just get the feeling that if I raised a child on Don Bluth cartoons e would turn out retarded or insane or just really goofy...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hellbore
    I don't get it, what's "TPGO does the cast of Dallas?" Was that a Disney movie?
    Yes, it made 7 cents at the box office.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Hellbore
    Originally Posted by dphirschler
    Prince of Egypt
    The Road to Eldorado
    yawn... Oh I'm sorry, I seem to have fallen asleep there! What were you saying again? What hand-drawn movies have they made?

Yes, I know they were not box office smashes. Neither was Anastasia for that matter. But Prince of Egypt and Spirit did pretty good. But technically, they are well done movies. The animation is top-notch (in fact, Pince of Egypt raised the bar for Disney which they answered with Tarzan - their best movie in years), and the stories have heart. And no need for goofy sidekicks. But for some reason, audiences have a hard time accepting an animated movie if it is not Disney, even if they are great movies.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  27. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    be nice if they brought it back, but if they can acheive similar quality this way whilst saving enough cash to plough e.g. into scriptwriting and so on (rather than just marketing and shareholder payouts) then its maybe a good thing?
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  28. I think it's a bad movie to get rid of hand drawn. CGI has a look and hand drawn has a different look. Their tow different art styles--that's all.
    Quote Quote