VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Just thought I'd let you all know that the Pioneer 220-S recorder is now priced at $198.76 at Walmart.com. Hard to pass up so I just ordered one.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does anyone know if this price drop is reflected in the Canadian market place?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    budz: Thanks for the heads-up!

koleman: Good question. I'll have to keep my eagle eye open for this. If you find out anything, please post here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The best got got better!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Man, I have had this for almost 2 months, and love it, even at 248.00, but this is fantastic price...
    Quote Quote  
  6. I called my local Zellers where I purchased it from and it is still $299.99 Canadian
    Quote Quote  
  7. excellent price for an excellent machine...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    love this machine.

you can fit a little over 1 hour & 16 minutes of video on a dvd-r if you record in FINE mode, extract the pcm audio and convert to 192kbps ac3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Evening everyone, TGIF

Thanks budZ for the heads up. I was already planing on this unit as a 2nd,
    (among other reasons) (picked one up this morning)

The one thing that displeased me in mine, is the fact that it doesn't have
    Firewire. I know I have many various FW setups, but it would have ben nice
    to have it all in this one unit. But, although the * 320 * has it, it's not
    worth the $320 + bucks, when it's the same thing as the 220 (feature'wise)
    anyways. - way too much. Anyways.

Well, let me get back to my fun video tests and things.
    Gee.., I love this video hobby stuff :P

-vhelp 3172
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lumis
    love this machine.

you can fit a little over 1 hour & 16 minutes of video on a dvd-r if you record in FINE mode, extract the pcm audio and convert to 192kbps ac3.
    I'm really wanting to convince myself to get one but where would I put it ?

I already have a DMR-E50S in the living room and bedroom.

My question is ... why did you mention ... extract the pcm audio and convert to 192kbps ac3 ... ??

Is the audio in FINE mode ... PCM audio ... and not AC-3 to begin with.

The thing about getting the 220-S from Walmart is ... the tax ... there is a Walmart in every state and TAX will added on to the price.

So the actual price will be 198 + 14 + 11= $223 total

So ... could somebody convince me that $223 is a good price.

Second question ...

I recently bought a 25 pack of Memorex DVD+RW ... would they be compatible with the 220-S unit.

They were on sale at Best buy or CompUSA ... very low price ... I couldn't resist buying them.

Infact it was a mistake on shelf price ... she told me to bring the price tag to her ... so I went over to the aisle and pulled it out ... LOL ... she kept it.

Addon update ... crap ... just now read the manual in PDF form ... not compatible ... DVD+RW .......... only DVD-RW is mentioned
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    welx to everyone! yuh the tax part gets to me because here in honolulu,hawaii we don't have a sales tax, we have what is called a general excise tax of 4.16% which is a lot smaller than our mainland counter parts. so i shouldn't really complain but wally world did charge me the 4.16% tax.

i ordered the 220-S because the price fit my budget. a friend of mine told me i could have picked up the unit in my local wally world. i didn't know that was available. oh well, live and learn. i'll sure be posting questions when i finally get my unit some time next week.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I picked up mine yesterday morning on my way home from work, here in California. I actually went in just to look at the floor model and to buy some personables, but then I saw 2 different prices under the 220: $248.00 and then $198.94. I went to ask a salesperson about it (which took awhile because most of the overnight stockers were still pandering around) but finally, one of the ladies took the box to scan it and said it was a rollback. I bought it right there...even though the total came out to about $220, I figured that's still cheaper than the regular price.

So far I've recorded a full NBA basketball game (on RW), full MLB spring training game (on RW), and 2 episodes of West Wing from Bravo (on RW). Great piece of hardware and taking the RW over to my PC and editing out commercials and other stuff is extremely easy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So ... could somebody convince me that $223 is a good price.
    Release the press faulks

Whatever you do, GIVE THE PIONEER 220S A GO !!

EDITED: - 3.5.05.pm
    I did have issues at first, and you can read all about it in link below.
    (I moved it in hopes of keeping the flavor going strong in this thread)
    --> Pioneer DVR-220S - my first attempts and experience.
    Definately consider this unit. So far, it's a great piece of machinary,
    even w/ the headackes, now faiding away
    So, I guess the video quality *was* worth it after all. Sorry for the
    short stumble, you guys.

-vhelp 3173
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In addition, none of the disk (-RW) 's will play at all in my
    Apex AD-1500 plyer. The player just says, "disk error" and does
    nothing.
    I have (2) Apex 1500 hacked dvd players that will play DVD-RW but that is with discs burned using my computers. I'll have to test out the 220-S to see if DVD-RW's will work or not. I have 2 spindles of MAXELL DVD-RW that were on sale from Office Depot. I have 8-10 videotapes to convert to dvd and will use the 220-S. If what you say is true and I encounter the same problems I'll be returning the unit as well. I guess I am going to have to cross my fingers hoping it will work ok for me. Vhelp thanks for the warning!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [in response to vhelp]

restart the presses folks... everything is okay.. obviously someone didnt read their manual or even experiment a bit..

the video i record with the dvd recorder is always on dvd-rw, always in the dvd-vr mode (not dvd-video)..

if you're recording discs in dvd-video mode you have to finalize the disc before taking it to your PC.. if you record in dvd-vr mode you dont have to finalize.. i never record in dvd-video mode, its pretty much useless to me.. i only record in dvd-vr mode, i take it to my pc, pop it in my dvd drive and extract the video,ulead dvd movie factory disc creator 3 & tmpgenc mpeg editor are good for this.. the discs playback just fine too, i use powerdvd 4/xp (w/ patch).. if you record in dvd-video mode but do not finalize the discs will not playback in your PC drive, and in no dvd players (except the recorder)..

you do have to initialize every disc that is "PC blank".. when i say PC blank, i mean a disc that hasnt been recorded to by the dvd recorder. if you recorded a television show, watched it & then erased it from the disc with the dvd recorder, you would not have to initialize the disc again.. but if you were to take the disc and erase it with your PC dvd burner, then you would have to initialize the disc again.. when i buy a pack of dvd-rw's, i usually open them all up, initialize them, and number them.. the process takes 1 minute and 29 seconds on my dvd recorder.. kind of annoying, but if you do this before something pop up on tv that you want to record, you'll be fine.

as for finalization, as i previously mentioned, is only required in dvd-video mode.. which i find useless since i always take the dvd-rw to my computer, extract the video, edit, & author.. recording in dvd-vr mode does not require finalization and can be read on your pc with appropriate software.

i'm not sure who actually makes discs with their recorder :P its kinda lame and limited.. i'm more interested in the quality of the recordings.. i make my own menu's in my authoring programs and can better edit the video on my PC.

and here we go again, the reason his PC locks up is because the disc is an invalid disc (recorded in dvd-video mode, unfinalized)..

vhelp, i highly suggest you have a big dinner & take the users manual to the bathroom with you a few hours afterwards.. you'll learn a lot

i really like this dvd recorder.. i'm thinking of purchasing one with a built in hard drive too..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks lumis for that important info you just posted. My friend had the same problem with the discs not being finalized. Steve2713 helped me out with my friends problem.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by vhelp
    Hold the press faulks

Whatever you do, DO NOT GET THE 220S

!! Not recommended for PC use (dvd recorder to PC) !!
    !! But, if you're going to be playing it on your 220S only, or dvd palyer
    !! (depending on player, mine does not work w/ these 220S disks), then, that
    !! would be ok too, but that's it. !!
    EDIT - 3.4.05 - by vhelp
    Only you know exactly what your configuration, methods, and overall plans are, but I have not had ANY of those problems...if you know what you are doing.

For one, I have one of THE most irritating stand-alone DVD players (a Sony Theater-In-A-Box). It's very picky about media, often times I have to reload a disc 3 times to get it to initialize. The first thing I did when I got my 220-S (yesterday) was record an episode of West Wing from cable onto a -RW. I did this in VIDEO MODE, quality on FINE, and FINALIZED after recording. Upon inserting the -RW into the Sony, it played without a hitch. I then took the same disc to my PC, used MPEG2VCR and edited out all of the commercials, re-burned onto the same -RW (after erasing) and it worked perfectly in the Sony. Cool!!

I then recorded a second West Wing episode using a -RW and VR mode (this is the mode to use for editing, however, there is no compatibility outside of the 220). After recording I used the 220's ERASE SEC tool to edit out the commercials...it even added chapter marks at the commercial points. Very user-intuitive. I took the -RW to my PC but it could not be read. I took it back to the 220, FINALIZED the disc, and it then worked on my PC (I have a Lite-ON CDRW/DVD burner I read the disc with). I was able to watch it using PowerDVD on the PC. The disc did not work using the Sony standalone...BUT...I easily could've used MPEG2VCR or another authoring tool to re-author the MPEG file that the 220 ouput (the file was easily found using Explorer on WinXP Pro SP2).

Since then, I've set up several recording times, including 2 sporting events. This thing is very easy to use and extremely quick at what it does. When you mention how it writes to the disc when you eject...for me, it takes about 30 seconds, if that, to write whatever it is. Initializing takes 1-3 minutes, depending on if the -R/-RW is full or not and what mode you use (VR or Video Mode). And watching DVDs using progressive scan on this unit is enjoyable...very clear picture, excellent sound, and a myriad of adjustments to the picture can be made. Chase Play works as intended (I watched the first 3 innings of a baseball game while it was recording the final 2 innings of the game, without problems).

Make sure you turn off AUTO INITIALIZE (you can do it manually...you can do anything on this machine manually). Using VR mode, you MUST finalize before taking it to another location in most cases. And unless you want to edit commericals using the 220, VR mode is not really a necessity. I haven't tried any -R discs, so I cannot comment on the 20 minute finalizing of those. But, then again, I can just take the -RW finalized to my PC and use DVDDecrypter to burn to a -R or +R if needed.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with yours. I hope you get them all sorted out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by soloredd
    Using VR mode, you MUST finalize before taking it to another location...PERIOD.
    good information, except this.. i can extract video from unfinalized dvd-vr discs with my PC and play them powerdvd 4/xp (w/ upgrade patch).

i can also play them on my pioneer dv-270.. but it can handle dvd-vr's just fine.. there is no real reason for me to finalize dvd-vr, as i always take them to my PC to extract the video, or to the bedroom to watch it on my pioneer dvd player. i've never had to finalize a dvd-vr to accomplish this.

if i were recording in dvd-video i would have to finalize before extracting video with my PC or watching it on the pioneer dv-270
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by lumis
    Using VR mode, you MUST finalize before taking it to another location...PERIOD.
    good information, except this.. i can extract video from unfinalized dvd-vr discs with my PC and play them powerdvd 4/xp (w/ upgrade patch).

i can also play them on my pioneer dv-270.. but it can handle dvd-vr's just fine.. there is no real reason for me to finalize dvd-vr, as i always take them to my PC to extract the video, or to the bedroom to watch it on my pioneer dvd player. i've never had to finalize a dvd-vr to accomplish this.

if i were recording in dvd-video i would have to finalize before extracting video with my PC or watching it on the pioneer dv-270
    Interesting, I haven't been able to even get XP to recognize an unfinalized VR disc, let alone extract anything off it. I guess I have to play around with it some more. I even have a Pioneer DVD burner, which I thought would be able to read it...but nope.

What type of DVD drive are you using in your PC to read with?
    Quote Quote  
  20. I haven't had any trouble at all with the Pioneer 220 using either DVD-Video or VR format recordings. I haven't experienced any long initialization or finalization times, either. My computer reads and extracts the video from the recordings just fine... no problems. One thing about finalizing DVD-Video format recordings (regardless of the machine) - if the recording is very short, like for a test, finalization takes way longer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Morning guys.

I finally called it quits last night around 2am (just got up)

I have notes, but is it worth it. My head hurts, specially after hearing
    all your responses (goto and bad)

First, these responses should probably be on anther page, because its
    throwing off the flavor (budz, I'm sorry if I tainted the time-line here)
    and I don't want to do that. I'll try and link up some of the response from
    here. They were good. But, most I've already tried first thing, when I
    got the unit. Anyways.

I'll start another thread with my dvd recorder issues
    (should anything positive come out, I'll revise my post on this first page
    here - promise) I'll post a link pointing to the topic. I tried last night,
    but after my system froze, I gave up. Anyways, see you all there, I hope.

Thanks for putting up with me.
    vhelp 3174
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I quickly did a cut and paste and slight revision of
    my first response (above/experience) and here is the link:

--> Pioneer DVR-220S - my first attempts and experience.

-vhelp 3176
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting, I haven't been able to even get XP to recognize an unfinalized VR disc, let alone extract anything off it. I guess I have to play around with it some more. I even have a Pioneer DVD burner, which I thought would be able to read it...but nope.

What type of DVD drive are you using in your PC to read with?
    i've used;

pioneer a04
    pioneer a06
    benq 1620
    nec 3520

sometimes powerdvd is a bit fussy about playing the dvd-vr discs, but starting powerdvd & then putting the disc in works everytime.

is there a setting on the dvd recorder that automatically finalizes dvd-vr's when you eject? maybe i'm finalizing and not even realising it, but i doubt it.

i've never had any problems with being able to extract the video from discs.. except that one time i accidentally switched the recorder to dvd-video mode & didnt finalize, then tried to extract with my PC.. but after finalizing i got what looked like a standard dvd video structure..
    Quote Quote  
  24. I usually do my commercial cuts within the 220 using the erasing feature, but thought after reading here, I'd try the pc method...
    Now that I have tried editing some commercials out of a dvd-rw from last night, I too experienced the pc lockup trynig to open a dvd-vr with womble, video studio 8, and ulead dvd movie creator. Just froze both my liteon combo drive and my NEC 3500 drive and the PC. Had to do a hard restart.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    let me help you guys out a bit..

this is the way i do it with ulead

1) fire up ulead dvd movie factory disc creator 3 (what a long ass name)

2) select "create video disc", new project, "output disc format" = dvd, click ok

3) under "add media" i click the "+DVD" button & highlight the drive containing the dvd-rw (recorded in VR mode) & then click OK. it a bit (at most 1 minute) to bring us to the "select scenes to capture" window.

4) holding the ctrl key i click the scenes i want to extract and then click OK.

5) once its done extracting the scenes it brings us back to the "add/edit media" window, at which point i close out the program. (you may get an error about improper audio if you're using the trial version, ignore it)

6) i then go to the following folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Lumis\My Documents\Ulead DVD MovieFactory\3.0\Import_DVD

and there will be a file(s) in there named "dmf050305-001.MPG" (yours may differ), and there they are.

7) then i edit in womble, etc etc, burn to dvd-r

this can also be done in tmpgenc mpeg editor

fire up tmpgenc mpeg editor, click the "set source" button, click the "source wizard" button, select "add source from a dvd video" (it will work with dvd-vr too), click next, select the drive containing the dvd-rw (dvd-vr) click OK, it will take a bit to recognize and will then give you an error about unsupported audio (it only supports LPCM & mpeg), but it does not matter just click OK, check the scenes you want to capture click next, put a check in "copy selected titles to hard drive" (i dont have "import chapters as key frame" checked), selected output location, and click OK... then edit in womble, etc etc, burn to dvd-r.

(sorry about the run-on sentance, i was on a roll)

they both work good and at pretty much the same speed (i havent tested them head to head). i do like tmpgenc dvd editor because you get to select the output location.. ulead may have an option to set the output location, i have never had any problem with outputting to the c:\documents & settings\... so i didnt really investigate further.

i hope this helps some of you out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't open DVD in Womble. Put on HDD first.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1) fire up ulead dvd movie factory disc creator 3 (what a long ass name)
    Yeah. Is a bit long. How about acrynum'ing it to UDMF and ask Baldrick
    to add it to the URL list.. ie, TMPG -- TMPGenc etc

Then, when you move your mouse over it, and look down on the status line,
    you'll see the 'full' name

-vhelp 3180
    Quote Quote  
  28. lumis,

What is the point in using VR mode and going through the extra hassle to rip this way if you are using Womble to edit?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I jumped in ... I've bought/ordered one ...

Subtotal: $198.76 Shipping: $9.64 Tax: $14.41

Order Total: $222.81

Billing Address: Hanford, CA, 93230-4353

Shipping Information

Pioneer DVD Recorder, DVR-220-S

Will arrive between Thursday, 03/10/05, and Tuesday, 03/15/05

I have a Pioneer CD/Mp3 CD player in my car and it works pretty good.

I also have in my living room the Pioneer VSX-D912 Receiver with a couple of Carver Magnetic Field Amplifier Model M-0.5t amplifiers ... one for the subwoofers and one for the back channels.

My speakers are Acoustic Research ... the fronts are the 428PS and the back ones are the Acoustic Research Tower Speakers S40 actually there are two pairs ... two sit next to each other ... 4 total. The subwoofers are two Design Acoustics "PS-SW" 10" woofers with/dual voice coils.

And for the mid/center "rear" channel ... Acoustic Research 318PS ... only one ... ebay seller only had one for sale ... I've been trying to find a pair of AR 318PS ... but can't find them ... anywhere.

The front center channel is a Advent ... I bought it the summer of 94 ... I did have a AR 225PS ordered on Ebay ... but the seller ... jumped off the edge of the world ... I got stung for $65 bucks.

Enuff said ... I hope the Pioneer 220S doesn't disappoint me.
    Quote Quote  
  30. You will like the 220 recorder. It is a decent DVD player, too.
    Quote Quote