VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I have a large collection of home movies of my family. They are precious and I want to make the best quality DVD transfers I can.

Most of them are on VHS and Hi-8, and a few are 8mm film.

So far I have purchased an I.Den IVT-7 full-frame TBC / frame synch. and a Sima SCC-2 color corrector. I am still looking for a deal on a JCV VCR with DigiPure to go along with this gear.

Money is getting tight and I am contemplating whether to buy a SignVideo DR1000 image detailer.

Does anyone have any example pictures of what the DR1000 can do with home movies? Is it even worth using with home movies or only with commercial stuff?

I really need some expert advice before I spend another $300.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sharpens the image, great for VHS. Homemade or not. Any VHS.
    I'm not so sure screen caps will show much,
    You have to watch it in person to see the effects.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Do you think I should get one then? Lordsmurf you seem to know what you are talking about, if you say it's worth it I'll buy one.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I got tired of waiting so I just went ahead and ordered a SignVideo DR-1000

I have my Sima SCC-2 here and I am not impressed by its "sharpness" adjustment. It does very little for the detail level or sharpness. I have tried it on 3 different VCR's and several S-VHS and normal VHS movies and so far, I am not impressed. I DO like the color adjustments though.

I am very excited to receive my DR-1000 and my JVC Digipure VCR. I can't wait This is a fun hobby... I told myself I would NEVER get into this video stuff but look at me now, I just started a few weeks ago and I already own 4 VCR's, 2 capture cards, several capturing, editing, and authoring programs, and 3 video processing boxes (the DR-1000, SCC-2, and an I.Den IVT-7 TBC). I musta spent like $1000 already

Oh well, you only live once, and it's just money!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hellbore
    Oh well, you only live once, and it's just money!
    That's right, you could be dead tomorrow!

(ala "When Worlds Collide" :P )
    Quote Quote  
  6. Don't feel bad. I must have purchased, tested and re-sold at least four dozen pieces of video gear before I settled on my current "video hobby" setup (subject to change)...

JVC SR-W5U W-VHS VCR
    JVC BR-378U S-VHS VCR
    JVC HR-DVS1U MiniDV / S-VHS VCR
    Pioneer CLD-D704 laserdisc player
    JVC DR-M10 DVD recorder
    Pioneer DVR-220 DVD recorder
    Vidicraft Detailer III Image Enhancer
    SignVideo DR-1000 Image Enhancer
    SignVideo PA-200 Dual Proc Amp
    Feral A4:2:2 TBC / Frame Sync / Proc Amp
    dbx SX-10 Video Sound Dynamics Enhancer
    dbx SX-20 Video Sound Impact Restorer
    dbx SX-30 Video Sound Bass Enhancer
    Sony GVM-1311Q high resolution monitor

Not to mention all the software and the two DVD burners I have in my computer. I also still have the Panasonic A320 DVD player I've mentioned in some other threads and an old school Realistic 10 band EQ I use to tweak the audio with sometimes. You're just getting started...

Wait until the home theater / HDTV bug bites! That's a whole other story...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by gshelley61
    Don't feel bad. I must have purchased, tested and re-sold at least four dozen pieces of video gear before I settled on my current "video hobby" setup (subject to change)...
    Yeah, I remember seeing your stuff on eBay...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Wow gshelley61 you have a ton of gear.

How are you liking your DR-1000? Do you think I made a good choice?

When it comes to color correction, I kind of "settled" for the Sima SCC-2... There was a BVP-4 (I think that's the name) the kind Lordsmurf likes, on Ebay, but I got outbid and didn't win it so I bought the SCC-2 for now.

The Sima SCC-2 came REALLY fast because the Ebay seller had it shipped to me from a local warehouse. I got it today and tried it out on Ocean's Eleven , City Slickers, and some home movie footage.

I don't know if it's just my TV, but to me, the SCC-2 improves the color a lot even with the default settings. I use a video switch box to do before and after comparison, and after seeing the SCC-2 corrected image, the "before" image looks wrong to me... Like there is a gray fog over everything and the flesh tones are too red.

Anyways I am pleased so far. I can't wait to see what the DR-1000 does. The sharpness setting on the SCC-2 has no visible effect to my eyes.

I am using a high quality "monitor" by the way, not a normal TV. It's some obscure monitor that has composite plugs and separate Luma and Chroma plugs. I found out I can plug S-video into this monitor but I need an adapter cable. I just ordered the cable. It will be fun to see if it makes a visible difference, S-video vs. Composite.

When I capture, I play to run all S-Video, from VCR all the way to capture card. I ordered some monster cables today

Damn hobbies...
    Quote Quote  
  9. OH HEY by the way guys, when I ordered the SignVideo DR-1000, the lady on the phone asked where I heard of their company. She seemed really curious why I was ordering from them.

I told her I heard about them on this VideoHelp.com forum. I told here there were a couple of gurus on here that reccommended the DR-1000. She laughed and asked if one of them was Bob so-and-so. I can't remember the last name. Anyone here named Bob who knows the lady at SignVideo? LOL...

Anyway, she said she would come check out the "resoration" forum...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Hellbore
    Wow gshelley61 you have a ton of gear.

How are you liking your DR-1000? Do you think I made a good choice?
    Thank God for eBay. I got some really great deals on those units, and subsidized some equipment purchases by buying and selling other gear...

The DR-1000 is the best detailer / sharpener available, as far as I know.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Well I have everything paid for and shipping to me... Just tonight I bought a JVC HR-S9911U!! I hope it lives up to the hype. I'm excited!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are units in studios that cost thousands of dollars
    that do a much better job than the 1000

a little history:
    The Time Base Corrector won an emmy when it was invented in 1971 (0r 73?)
    the first unit by a connecticut company CNS, could only handle a couple of lines of the 525 line american television picure at once.
    Now a time base corrector inputs each frame of video to a buffer and
    re clocks it out with repaired timing intervals (the picture now conforms to spec)

The 1000 is a teriffic tradeoff for price and performance
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have Sima as well but I'm not impressed with it. Kind of 50/50 on its usefulness. I've seen and read about Vidicraft Detailer III Image Enhancer and that piece of equipment, cheap indeed, seems to be offering great features. I'm done with my tape backups so I don't need it now but I wish I had it then.
    Quote Quote  
  14. The old Vidicraft gear and the current SignVideo processors are consumer / prosumer level... not cheap like the Sima stuff, though. They are well designed, hand built and perform nearly as well as (and in some cases better than) professional broadcast image processors that cost many thousands of dollars.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. That is what I thought. I would go with TBC (JVC VHS player) and Vidicraft then. Both for $400.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you think I should get one then? Lordsmurf you seem to know what you are talking about, if you say it's worth it I'll buy one.
    This is easily one of my favorite pieces of video equipment.
    It's like a magic box.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hellbore:
    I hear you man! This video stuff is a lot of fun but can get pricey!

gshelly and lordsmurf have been some good advicers as well as other experts here. Gives you a good feeling to know there are those willing to put in their time for helping us beginners.
    Post back with your results so myself and others will know where to turn if my soon to be setup doesn't perform the way I hope............Thanks
    I've been eyeing those signvideo procs. but gonna try a cheaper sima alternative first.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by pfh
    I've been eyeing those signvideo procs. but gonna try a cheaper sima alternative first.
    Same here! Oh man, I SO bad want to buy a Signvideo proc amp, but after buying a Signvideo detailer, I can't afford it, so I went with the cheaper Sima SCC-2.

I am kind of sad though, I would have liked to go all Signvideo lol... Maybe if I shuffle my money around just right I can afford to buy one of those proc amps later. I just don't know if it is necessary, I might be able to get good colors with the SCC-2. We shall see...
    Quote Quote  
  19. The I.DEN TBC you have on the way includes full proc amp controls... you could just skip the Sima completely by using the I.DEN instead (even if you don't need the TBC function - it won't hurt anything to use it).
    Quote Quote  
  20. Whoah seriously? I wonder if the I.Den proc amp is better than the Sima. What would you say?

I remember reading that the I.Den had a proc amp in it but at the time I didn't know what a proc amp was so I forgot about it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Concerning the proc amp additions....
    You can find Vidicraft, Archer, and plenty of older gear that is lightyears better quality than SIMA, but at pennies on the dollar. Shop eBay, and do it smart. I'm talking $35-75 range here, too.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Aren't those all composite-onlyl? I am looking to keep the signal S-Video the whole way, if possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Aren't those all composite-onlyl? I am looking to keep the signal S-Video the whole way, if possible.
    Most likely, yes. But they'd be good to start out with ... until you can afford a more advanced unit. S-video is not always required anyway ... I tend to still use a LOT of composite connections.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Hellbore
    Aren't those all composite-onlyl? I am looking to keep the signal S-Video the whole way, if possible.
    No, the I.DEN has both composite and s-video ins and outs (at least the one I had did...) 8)

And yes, the I.DEN will smoke the Sima in picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by gshelley61
    No, the I.DEN has both composite and s-video ins and outs (at least the one I had did...) 8)

And yes, the I.DEN will smoke the Sima in picture quality.
    Cool... I guess I got lucky with the I.DEN since I didn't read your review of it until AFTER I bought it... lol... Just earlier I saw where you wrote it had very clean PQ and was quite "transparent".
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh man, I SO bad want to buy a Signvideo proc amp, but after buying a Signvideo detailer, I can't afford it.
    So what does the proc amp do that the detailer can't? Not being a guru, and with limited info at signvideo, it seems to me that the proc amp is an industrial strength image enhancer? Do I really need to spend $450?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Most likely, yes. But they'd be good to start out with ... until you can afford a more advanced unit. S-video is not always required anyway ... I tend to still use a LOT of composite connections.
    Could you give more details about your composite connections, please?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hellbore View Post
    I have my Sima SCC-2 here and I am not impressed by its "sharpness" adjustment. It does very little for the detail level or sharpness. I have tried it on 3 different VCR's and several S-VHS and normal VHS movies and so far, I am not impressed. I DO like the color adjustments though.
    I used the SCC-2 some years back, and I was impressed -- and my impression was totally negative! Utter garbage. I returned it 2 days later. Bit the bullet and bought a SignVideo PA-100. Not a single moment of disappointment since. Beautiful stuff. Its built-in luminance meter is a godsend, too.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 21:36.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    There is no used SignVideo Proc Amps on eBay, new are very expensive for me.
    What do you think about Amp AVT-8710 and VIDICRAFT STAND ALONE PROC AMP or Vidicraft detailer II?
    I don't like them because they have no s-video... So i think it is better to use S-Video connections, instead of this "enhancers of composite video".
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know the Vidicraft detailer, but the their proc amp is highly prized (its engineers designed the SignVideo products mentioned). True, the older Vidicrafts don't have s-video.

I readily admit, when I saw the price tag on the PA-100 my mouth hit my feet. I went the cheaper route at first (I couldn't tolerate the SCC-2, in any event), and first got a BVP-4 on eBay. It retails for quite a bit more than the PA-100. The BVP-4 was...well, it was OK, but video a bit grungy. The power fuse blowing on day 3 didn't help, but BVP-4 service helped quickly to locate the correct fuse. I wasn't satisfied, even though I still use the BVP-4 occasionally for videos that need some really strong correction, and I mean really bad stuff that really had to be pumped, beyond anything you could imagine. So being obsessed with all this proc amp stuff, I bit the bullet. The image thru the PA-100 is simply spotless as far as color/levels go, and that luminance meter helped beyond description. I took out a postal money order to get the PA-100 (no way I was going to let my wife see it in the checkbook or on the credit card!). I can't say that I've ever been disappointed in any way.

But, yeah -- it does cost more than a pittance. People who have 'em are reluctant to let them get away on eBay. Even used, they're still not cheap.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 21:36.
    Quote Quote