VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you have Digital TV at home?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, cable digital tv.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DishNetwork, I hate the macroblocks but I seem the be the only person I know in RL that sees them so they think I'm crazy. Good service though
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have digital and HD through cable. Digital is usually not much better in appearance than the anolog. I currently do not have the necessary stuff to cap HD. I have captured HD but as DV using my Canopus ADVC-100.
    Looks good but is definitely not as good as the source.
    bits
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Flaystus
    DishNetwork, I hate the macroblocks but I seem the be the only person I know in RL that sees them so they think I'm crazy. Good service though
    Yep, blocks are annoying. Especially when watching sport on a projector.... I want hdtv with super high bitrate NOW!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nope, basic cable is free by accident for almost a year now. I'm not going to be stupid and pay $50 a month for cable and digital.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Digital and HD over the air.
    55" screen. My observations are that digital, (SD) has too much blockiness
    in fact, the analog signal on close stations produces a cleaner picture than SD.
    HD(1080i) is superb. Better than DVD quality. The biggest surprise is that on distant stations with poor analog strength for even comfortable viewing on a small analog TV, the HD and SD are still receivable on my HD set without any fades. To do this, Antenna directionality must be spot on.
    Now all I need is an HD capture device. I keep looking at the device posts, but so far I really haven't seen anything that has caught many raters fancy.
    I hear, "Buy before the Digital flag requirement" ...but buy what? Also, I assume that with only a few months to go,most device mnfg. have already updated their devices to be in compliance with the flag.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Flaystus
    I had macroblocks. Had the cable guy come out and he checked every connection outside and replaced the cable inside. Still had'em. I went into the attic and found a loose connection, tightened by about a half a turn and got rid of the macroblocks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Nope - standard def TV standard def off the air.....

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have sat dish with normal TV (does this count).
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have satellite, Sky + (UK), love pausing live tv.
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Hardcoreruss
    I have satellite, Sky + (UK), love pausing live tv.
    Ditto.

Quality varies by channel. BBC is pretty good as is Sky One and the movie channels. The Other 'terrestial' channels (ITV, Channel 4 & 5) are not too bad either. Sky Sports channels are OK. Others vary from acceptable to unwatchable.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Over the air HDTV. Not much high def content on the local stations, though. Public broadcasting is about the only one that is consistent with HD programing. I spend enough on regular cable and the internet connection to not want to get HD cable.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The word digital is a bit of a misnomer.iIt's all analog,digitized for transmition,and then then back to analog via your cable or satelitte receiver.The signal does not deteriorate when transmitted,which is a plus,but in the end most of it is analog tv anyway.
    bmiller,ont.canada
    Quote Quote  
  14. You can have your receiver sdi modified. This keeps it all digital.
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never heard of this.Can any receiver be modified,and is the end result an upconverted signal?
    bmiller,ont.canada
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yes any receiver. I think it goes, signal, receiver, scaler, display.

Search for SDI Modification its quite expensive but apparently the best.
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by bmiller
    The word digital is a bit of a misnomer.iIt's all analog,digitized for transmition,and then then back to analog via your cable or satelitte receiver.The signal does not deteriorate when transmitted,which is a plus,but in the end most of it is analog tv anyway.
    You can split hairs if you want. In reallity, the 'digital' signal is still carried on an analog carrier, be it Radio or electrical signals in a wire or even pulses of light down an optical fibre, its how we process those signals that matters and determines wether we treat them as nalog or digital.
    I think most people have pretty much the same understanding of what is meant by 'digital TV' though.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    yep, cable

it's pretty good but apparently i've got one of those set top boxes that is built from leftover amiga 500 parts (no bull!), so it tends to feel the burn on a regular basis and need re-setting. unlike the old analogue box which was seemingly made from an old graphical calculator or something and was bomb-proof despite being very simple. (somehow, it still had a more sophisticated video timer on it..)

whats most annoying is that the video quality is between B and A+ most of the time, but when it's something fairly important on one of the terrestrial channels - e.g. a popular movie, first-run import TV show, or a major sporting event, the bitrate appears to halve or quarter and the distortion is =terrible=... making you either switch back to the analogue signal (what happens when THOSE are turned off?) or bite the bullet and go buy a satellite dish instead.
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Should of made a mulitiple vote. I have OTA and cable.

Actually, almost EVERYONE has OTA if they want to take advantage of it.
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a digital cable box with analog out. However I can pick up digital/HDTV via OTA tuners/broadcasts
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Define "Digital TV"

In my book that does not include a MPeg2 cable or sat box connected to an analog TV.

To my thinking, "Digital TV" means the video is read out from a frame buffer in the TV to the display. That is all inputs to the TV are either digital or analog is converted to digital before display.

DigitalTV can be SD or HD.

Here is an entry model 27" DigitalTV with ATSC DTV tuner for $213.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7601838&type=product&productCategoryId=p...=1130982274848

As of July '06 all sets over 25" must have the ATSC DTV tuner in the USA. This usually means the TV needs to be digital with digital scaling circuits. That means HD 720p or 1080i can be received but gets downscaled to 480i (640x480 in this case).
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. Digital cable.
    Quote Quote