VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

A friend of mine said he's heard that when the XBOX 2 comes out Microsoft will make it so you can run XP on the original XBOX....

Anyone else heard about this????? He also said you'd be able to play your pc games on it.....

I haven't done any net searching yet but is the feasible???? I know LINUX can go on it when hacked - but would BILL let you do XP with no modding??????

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if that's true, but why would M$ be opposed to selling more copies of XP? I'm sure it would be even harder to run a cracked version when THEY design the hardware.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ViRaL1
    I don't know if that's true, but why would M$ be opposed to selling more copies of XP? I'm sure it would be even harder to run a cracked version when THEY design the hardware.
    Hello,

True - why not sell another $100 copy of XP HOME to a bunch of crazed psycho nerd gamers

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Originally Posted by ViRaL1
    Hello,

True - why not sell another $100 copy of XP HOME to a bunch of crazed psycho nerd gamers

Kevin
    Running XP on xbox 2 or the original xbox? I could see that on the xbox 2 since it's supposedly going to be an all in one type of system. Multiple processors and could function as a media center if you want. Least that's what I heard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Interesting ...

Sounds like they're trying to make the XBOX an "alternative" to a PC, just like it's an "alternative" to a settop DVD Player ATM.

On a side note, I just got my XBOX back from my modder friend. It's got a 200GB hard drive in it now
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Interesting ...

Sounds like they're trying to make the XBOX an "alternative" to a PC, just like it's an "alternative" to a settop DVD Player ATM.

On a side note, I just got my XBOX back from my modder friend. It's got a 200GB hard drive in it now :)

That's one of sweetest mods I ever did. Games load so much faster... Not to mention the emulation possibilities.

I read that the Xbox 2 will be released in phases. The initial Xbox will not have a HD and will be the lower priced, stripped down, backward compatible, gaming machine only. The second Xbox 2 release will a HD version with some Media Center capabilities. Same thing with the third release which will add features like a PVR. I guess they are shipping later this year.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Originally Posted by smearbrick1
    I read that the Xbox 2 will be released in phases. The initial Xbox will not have a HD and will be the lower priced, stripped down, backward compatible, gaming machine only
    Actually I remember reading that Microsoft changed graphics makers and will have to do software emulation to play xbox 1 games without breaking license agreements. Though if that's true the article I was reading a year two or ago also mentioned that the XBOX 2 would be so much more powerful that any difference would be negligible in the emulation......

Kevin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Here's some interesting stuff that popped up on the net:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showforum=68

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s=b5211424725576c69fc5630cfb334f9c&showtopic=13...824720&st=90&#

I got Windows XP runing on my X-BOX with Bochs and some very hard to find add-ons. If you what to use Windows XP on your X-BOX, I would reamen you buy Windows 2000.

It will do everything that Windows XP can, exeput run Windows XP Games. That's the best you'll get out of X-BOX, without an lot of work
    Cool huh?????

Kevin
    Quote Quote  
  9. I use my xbox as a mythtv front end. Also to play games.
    "Terminated!" :firing:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Xbox already works with Windows MCE as a sort of media center extender already.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not, when XBox 2 comes out, make it so XBox 1 runs on a PC - they'd open up all the old XBox 1 games to PC users...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SquirrelDip
    Why not, when XBox 2 comes out, make it so XBox 1 runs on a PC - they'd open up all the old XBox 1 games to PC users...
    That is what I heard the third rollout of the Xbox 2 will be. It will basically be a Windows PC with Xbox 1/2 capability.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smearbrick1
    Originally Posted by SquirrelDip
    That is what I heard the third rollout of the Xbox 2 will be. It will basically be a Windows PC with Xbox 1/2 capability.
    Hello,

We're talking about turning the XBOX 1 into a windows pc not the 2nd...... Though I'm sure it would be much more useful with more power and space on the second.... Anyword on the size of the harddrive on the xbox 2????

Kevin
    Quote Quote