VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Got a VIDEO_TS folder on disk. I was following the tutorial linked here about how to compress it using DVD2OneX while keeping the Scene Selection menu functional.

Being a long flick, it will amount to an almost 2 to 1 compression. The tutorial doesn't take into account that where multiple audio tracks are present, more space for the final product could be saved by factoring in how much space unwanted soundtracks require.

Questions:
    -- Is there a way to find out how much of the VOB files the different tracks are taking up?

-- If i must demux the VOB, discard some tracks, and remux, what tools would do the job?

Been a while since i did any of this stuff. I tried bbDemux which worked nicely in the past, but i get a pile of "Pack header value not allowed in program stream" windows and it dies.

MPEG2 Works took a 1023.9 MB VOB and only spit out a 75 MB m2v file and a 5.9 MB ac3 after 15 minutes grinding away.

ffmpegX doesn't appear demux VOB's

I'd do more experimentation, but my machine isn't very fast.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In general, DTS audio takes up about 450-600MB, and is the first to go if I don't absolutely need it. 5.1 channel AC3 takes up about 200-350MB, and stereo AC3 takes up about 100-150MB. Obviously, the more tracks you eliminate, the more space is left over for some extra video quality. PCM is the worst compression, and can easily take up 1GB on a two hour DVD, but DVDs with PCM usually don't have other audio tracks available (and they're pretty rare). To demux VOBs, you can use Extractor.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

What's a reliable tool to mux to a VOB?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mplex, but it's CLI. Otherwise, DVD mastering apps mux as well. Why do you need to mux the streams?
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote