VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. while doing some searching, I found something in a folder called .dvdcss thats in the users "home" file.

then I looked for that folder under the user and the file does not appear there. is this some sort of invisible file? should I trash it I can? these seem to be dvd Iv played on my computer. is this where the "last time played" comes in when you put a dvd in the computer and use DVDPlayer?

thanks rotut
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's a folder that libdvdcss creates when it decrypts DVDs. VLC, mplayerOSX and MacTheRipper will all create that folder and populate it with folders containing the DVD titles and the decryption keys for all DVDs they encounter. All folders starting with a period are invisible in the Finder. You can trash it if you want, but those apps I mentioned will create it again if you use them on DVDs. Version 2.7 of MacTheRipper will have an option in the preferences to delete that folder upon quitting.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  3. does one need this folder to play ripped DVDs that are on the HD? with Mac DVDPlayer or VLC or MPlayer? or ripped DVD on disk?

thanks rotut
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a program called killtheripper1.0 that will remove the .dvdcss folder for you, you do not need this folder.
    Mark V

10.4.10 OS X 1.25GHz G4 768MB DDR SRAM Pioneer DVR-106D and external DVR-111D
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or run "rm -rf ~/.dvdcss" in a Terminal shell.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mark V , I am suprised that you recomend this app , esp with all the warnings about it.

Its also known as KILL THE MAC....

go figure why....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't heard of any problems with it, and I believe it's just an applescript that runs the shell code mentioned by sjk.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  8. thanks for the help

as Im rather weak on 'terminal' and it seems this folder is benign maybe Ill just leave it.

sound reasonable?

rotut
    MPro 2.66 3GB RAM 1.5TB HD's
    MigliaMiniHD
    QTPro, MPEG2 add on MPlayerX2
    MPEG Streamclip
    24 + 21" samsung flat panels
    G4dual 2GB
    AlchemyDVR card
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    I... I believe it's just an applescript that runs the shell code mentioned by sjk.
    It runs "rm -R ~/.dvdcss".

Actually, if I was concerned about this (but I'm not) I'd use srm instead of rm.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by geezerbuttz
    Mark V , I am suprised that you recomend this app , esp with all the warnings about it.

Its also known as KILL THE MAC....

go figure why....
    What warnings?
    Mark V

10.4.10 OS X 1.25GHz G4 768MB DDR SRAM Pioneer DVR-106D and external DVR-111D
    Quote Quote  
  11. there have been warning on other forums that some have had large parts of their user dir removed by this app.

thats the warning i read.
    Quote Quote