VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. I have seen some users willingly ask to be removed from the forum membership. They have been subsequently removed. However, the caption 'Banned' appears against their posts.

This is misleading and perhaps even insulting to their memory and contributions. Should we not have another status as 'Deactivated' or 'Left for Good', or something like that for such people?

Just a thought.

Regards
    *** My computer can beat me at chess, but is no match when it comes to kick-boxing. ***

Search Comp PM
    Helps keep their posts in context, in the threads they posted in.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being banned.
    / Moderator John Q. Publik

3. It would be nice. I am no expert in web design, but I suspect it might be a little complicated to put it on. Baldrick is pretty brilliant with these things, though...

4. Serene Savage Shadowmistress's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I also believe this would be a good thing.

So that people who take a stand and leave can put their money where their mouth is and stay gone instead of constantly coming back only to take further stands.

It's disruptive.

5. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    it's a special thing for special people on special days for those special times
    Whatever floats their boat

Search Comp PM
    the rest of the posts moved to "off topic"
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)

7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Last night I have sent PM to Badrick (still awaiting the answer) asking him to cease my videohelp.com membership (unsubscribe).

I think that I no longer agree with AUP, specifically its implementation by moderators. I think the site is overmodded with no available recourse for members. Warnings have become mod's personal property that they do not easily part with. It seems to me that until this issue is resolved (warnings removal without engaging into bargaining) I will never feel comfortable here. With 3 warnings and none removed even though highly advertised 30 day quarantine process has elapsed several times over) I will be more of a mods favorite target. Considering to date history I have no reason to believe that the situation will ever improve in that respect. It is getting worse IMHO. No critical voice has been allowed (not aware of any).

I was unable to find any information about terminating membership though. I can already hear voices saying why terminate, just stop posting or coming here... This is a matter of principles and there should be an option to quit. I don't think that I could tolerate my still active membership if I disagree in principal matters.

Looking at a feedback forum has lead me to this thread and with horror I have learned that deactivating memberships has been done so far by banning users! If this is how this site expresses its gratitude to members that have spent countless hours contributing to the knowledgebase then I find it outrageous. I have no confirmation of that suspicion expressed above but even a thought of it makes me feel uneasy.

I wouldn't like to find out that my decision has "accidentally" lead to voluntary "ban" that resulted in a "formal ban" (and looks as such!), at least to an average member, screaming from every page that I have ever posted to. That would be grossly unfair and would certainly wipe out every bit of good memories that I have ever had here...

Hopefully, Baldrick (who owns the site, I know, that Cobra/Capmaster never lets anyone ever forget) will be up to the task...

Search Comp PM
    The easiest way to "terminate" a membership is by never logging in again.

I fail to see why this is even an issue.

I don't want to to come off the wrong way, but if you feel a "need" to come post as long as you have the ability to login, this site may be more beneficial to anybody feeling that way: http://www.netaddiction.com
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is how I see it:

If you no longer like how this site is being run and you want to quit, the only logical course of action is to never log on again. Or, you could make a fuss and try to get yourself banned. Some here have expressed the opinion that they would like a special status given to those who leave in protest. Free speech, etc. is good and all, and you can go ahead and make your protest, but asking for the site to host it is asking a little too much. You are entitled to your own opinion, but this site is not obligated to advertise it for you. It's like a hippie asking Donald Rumsfeld to hold his "End the War Now" sign while he takes a lunch break or goes home to take a nap.

If the site administrators decide to grant this request it is a very generous action on their part, and you should appreciate them going out of their way to help you say "I don't like the people who make this site possible" and remember it doesn't always work out so nicely.

Anyways, those were my thoughts as I was reading this topic.

10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    proxyx99

The hypocricy i have seen lately has kept me from posting for awhile now....
    movie + d/l in the same post seem's to instantly = warez, is but just one of the reasons.... sad, sad, sad, everyone thinks they are a little "hall monitor" people need to really get a life instead of looking for amusement in any way they can.....

11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want to engage in another discussion... I anticipated some possible approaches in my post that are just echoed here, as expected.
    To clarify:

It is not about "termination" but termination.

Originally Posted by Donny661
    If you no longer like how this site is being run and you want to quit, the only logical course of action is to never log on again.
    Why would videohelp.com want to hold on to my membership? Is this a one way route... You can join but never leave?

You are entitled to your own opinion, but this site is not obligated to advertise it for you.
    Never intended to nor asked for it. Just show me a way to quit my membership... I posted here after finding out about this horrific notion that quitting here equals banning equals advertising to others untrue account of the matters.

.. Or, you could make a fuss and try to get yourself banned.
    That would certainly be an attractive proposition to some... but not a very original idea.

If the site administrators decide to grant this request it is a very generous action on their part, and you should appreciate them going out of their way to help you say "I don't like the people who make this site possible" and remember it doesn't always work out so nicely.
    I appreciate the site but I don't appreciate some practices (see above) that make this site less worthy IMO. The fact that I've been here for quite some time speaks for itself. Don't know why would providing the option to leave the site be an act of utmost generosity as you seem to suggest.
    People often disagree and there is nothing unusual in terminating the relationship if differences of opinions are irreconcilable unless of course the site operators have a vested interest in painting everyone wishing to leave as a riot to further their case. That practice would be grossly unfair considering member's previous contributions.

This post and the thread itself would be redundant if one could simply leave and close the door... Don't need to elaborate on benefits of such option for both sides... I don't think you have given much thought to such possibility...

12. Let me echo my opinions also. When I first came to this site, it was very interesting and I was reading articles and other things for hours at a stretch. But, recently it seems like the mods are giving out way too many yellow cards. I visit over 7 forums a day and am a moderator on one of the most popular video editing forums and I never see this kind of 'strictness.' Granted, this is a personal site, but carding users for asking how to copy games is just ironic, since this site is probably the most referred site when it comes to backing up DVDs. If the mods/admin are concerned regarding the legalities of copying games, then why support copying DVDs or breaking the encryption on DVDs. The last time I checked it was illegal in the United States.

Some of the users here also complain too much. I won’t mention any names, but when I occasionally drop by the ‘Report problems/threads/members’ thread, there are one or two familiar names, that just want to get other users into trouble.

My only recommendation to the mods is to ease up. This site has great potential, but with the way its going, it may leave a bad taste for many users.

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by proxyx99
    Why would videohelp.com want to hold on to my membership? Is this a one way route... You can join but never leave?
    What membership? You aren't a member but a user. When you log on you are asked for a USERname, not a membership number. You have never paid a membership fee or sworn any sort of allegiance to Baldrick, the site or the mods. I don't see what your problem is. If you don't like what is on here, don't bother coming back again.

Many retail outlets, most online and some brick and mortar, ask you for you details (name address, etc) when you make a purchase, but that doesn't make you a member, simply a user. If you don't like the service or product you get from that outlet, you don't go back. They still have your details on record but you don't go in and demand that they erase them.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G
    Originally Posted by proxyx99
    What membership? You aren't a member but a user. When you log on you are asked for a USERname, not a membership number. You have never paid a membership fee or sworn any sort of allegiance to Baldrick, the site or the mods. I don't see what your problem is. If you don't like what is on here, don't bother coming back again.

Many retail outlets, most online and some brick and mortar, ask you for you details (name address, etc) when you make a purchase, but that doesn't make you a member, simply a user. If you don't like the service or product you get from that outlet, you don't go back. They still have your details on record but you don't go in and demand that they erase them.
    Exactly.
    This thread is totally pointless.

15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How to deactivate your account:
    Change your email to a fake one under your profile.

Search PM
    I agree....if you no longer want to be seen here....then don't come. Simple.
    All this waste of time PMing the powers to be to ask to be removed is stupid and moronic. Take responsibility for you own actions and stop relying on others just so you can spout stupidity just before you leave.

17. Originally Posted by aanaravs
    carding users for asking how to copy games is just ironic
    Where did this happen?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cobra
    Originally Posted by aanaravs
    Where did this happen?

where did this happen ?
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)

19. I agree....if you no longer want to be seen here....then don't come. Simple.
    All this waste of time PMing the powers to be to ask to be removed is stupid and moronic. Take responsibility for you own actions and stop relying on others just so you can spout stupidity just before you leave.
    Absolutely. It's also petty.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    Originally Posted by Cobra
    Originally Posted by aanaravs
    Where did this happen?
    where did this happen ?
    I've seen this many times. But aanaravs is putting a spin on it.

"How do I copy my friend's games?"
    "How do I copy this game? Quick, it's due back at Blockbuster today!"
    "Where can I get a CDkey patch to copy this game?"

.... well no shit .... they got carded.... of course....

Anyway, as I understand it, videohelp.com is for VIDEO RELATED HELP. Not VIDEOGAMEHELP.COM. Quite a few other sites do that. A quick google search is all a person needs. Afterdawn, xboxscene, modchips, etc. Teach you how to backup games (or transfer to hard drive, for faster load times, often MUCH FASTER). Go there.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick, seems that you choose to respond to PM's about matters that play into your hand only. Wonder why my PM is still without answer yet you find time to come here...

That shows what kind of attention and respect users get here. Unbelivable. And some of you guys dare to say everything is OK...

Your dismissive attitude indicates on the other hand, that what this thread originator suggests is true.

banned as per request
    / Moderator BJ_M

Search Comp PM
    For the most part, everything is "OK."

When a user manages to pick a fight with every single one of the moderators and half the board, that should be an indication of where the real problem lies.

You won't be missed.