VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you have a HTPC?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    yep.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes... a dedicated Xp2500+, X10 remote+Girder3.2, Showshifter3.11, 160gig hard drive, 512MB Ram. It operates 24x7, usually on S3 standby mode.
    Edit : Hauppauge WinTV PCI card. A spare Compro VideoMate TV Gold+.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using my pc as a htpc, no dedicated one yet. I'm just using it to watch movies using zoomplayer, nvidia dvd decoder and ffdshow.
    Quote Quote  
  4. My dedicated HTPC is an old eMachines Pentium 4 2.2 GHz, 512MB RAM tricked out with a Hauppauge WinPVR 350, an IRBlaster, an additional 250GB Maxtor HD, and SageTV.

-drj
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yup, using the one that has it's specs listed under my profile here
    too bad it only supports S-Video out tho
    I have a SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum something-or-other, but am currently using it's optical out for audio. the optical on it doesn't support multi-channel tho. I can remedy that if I could ever find a S/PDIF that has 3.5 mini on one end and RCA on the other tho
    I just use MediaPlayer to watch movies, works fine for me. I know a lot of people don't like it, but I have no problems with it.
    My AIW came with a remote and so did the SoundBlaster.
    When XP Media Center edition was announced, I was 'excited' but then I found out you can't but it -- you have to buy a whole PC to get it. What a rip...
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok I'll ask the question partly out of sheer curiosity, and partly because I am a serious multimedia junkie who HAS to keep up with the johnsons..... what the hell is HTPC?
    scratch the surface off a cynic - you will find a disillusioned idealist.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DVD_NDN
    ok I'll ask the question partly out of sheer curiosity, and partly because I am a serious multimedia junkie who HAS to keep up with the johnsons..... what the hell is HTPC?
    Home Theater Personal Computer

It's a PC configured as a media center, PVR (Personal Video Recorder), etc.

I use mine like a TiVo I have full control over.

-drj
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I set one up a month or two ago. Dedicated machine with a Sempron XP2200+, OCed to 1.9Ghz, 512MB DDR 3200, Asus MB, two 80G Maxtor HD's, DVD ROM and burner, cable internet. It has a DVICO HDTV board, Sapphire Radeon VGA card. The video goes out through the DVI port, through a ATI DVI>Component converter to my video projector. Sound is out to a home theater system.

I use an older version of PowerDVD for DVD and Zoom player for DIVX. 25 foot cables for the keyboard, LCD monitor and mouse.

Works great so far. Still having problems with overlay video. The software players work fine, but the HDTV output from the DVICO card is hard to get set up. HDTV is terrestrial only.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AH. thank you for explaining it. in hindsight, the acronyms should have been easy enough to figure out.
    though I do not necessarily use mine for that purpose, ultimately that is where I intend to go with it.
    scratch the surface off a cynic - you will find a disillusioned idealist.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yep, xbmc on my xbox. Best thing ever, with a large hard drive softmodded and streaming video from my PC
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. My sound system for it is the selling point. 6.1 Paradigm mini monitor speaker system (PDR-8 sub, Stylus centre) hooked to a panasonic SA-XR25 reciever (in turn hooked to a soundblaster 2 LS)
    I'm using a 21" sony trinitron monitor now because I didnt like the picture of the PC hooked to 26" widescreen toshiba HDTV (no DVI on the rear, just HMDI) but my place is small and theres not a world of size difference; too much anyway.
    COPIED OVER 600 DVDS SO FAR
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does a Pentium III 500MHz with a DVD drive and a generic sound card count?

I didn't thinks so

But yeah, I would like one of those. Mind you, I don't really need one.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Though they are undoubtedly cool, if I had that much money to burn, I'll buy a bigger TV...

In Australia, TV sucks anyway (we only have 5 free-to-air channels) not that I have the time to watch TV. The only thing I use my TV for are DVDs and I'm happy with just a DVD player and an online DVD subscription...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by vitualis
    Though they are undoubtedly cool, if I had that much money to burn, I'll buy a bigger TV...

In Australia, TV sucks anyway (we only have 5 free-to-air channels) not that I have the time to watch TV. The only thing I use my TV for are DVDs and I'm happy with just a DVD player and an online DVD subscription...

Regards.
    I spent about a year in Sydney. What you say about limited free TV channels is true but I must slightly disagree with you regarding the content.

TV content in AUS is by far the best in the countries that I have seen so far. You get a fair cover of News, Sport, Movies, Soaps, etc. and all for free. There are at least 5 movies per week. There is no TV fee to be paid (unlike in Europe). In America all you get free are PBS and some news channels - hardly any entertainment at all. In India, we only get one free channel which is full of nonsence (and ads).

Of course, what I say about AUS TV is true as of 95-96. If this still holds true I would say "Relax and enjoy, the grass is not always greener on the other side".

Coming back to the poll, I use PC for my normal use only.
    *** My computer can beat me at chess, but is no match when it comes to kick-boxing. ***
    Quote Quote  
  15. I didn't know it but I guess I do have an HTPC, P4 2.8, ati all-in-wonder conected to a 61" samsung DLP via svga connection, cable modem, connected to 200 watt stereo. I do the pvr thing, surf the net, real rhapsody, winamp etc. Great for when I have guests.But what kicks ass is MS Flight simulator--great time. What I'm looking for is good cordless keyboard/mouse combo. I'm using USB extension chords now, Have tried several cordless products but all have poor range/performance. Any recommendations?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use it for dvds only. Television programming is terrible. I havent had cable since I moved out of my fathers house years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  17. One machine is a 300mHz set up solely as a TV (using Descaler). Well, it is also my CD duplicating computer, but it is a TV most of the time. Saves me the trouble of firing up the projector just for a quick viewing of TV (news, weather, or something just not worthy of "big screen").

I am currently setting up a second machine (1.4 gHz) as a more serious HTPC. This one will be the replacement for our VCR. I am setting up Media Portal on it so I can watch TV, record shows, and possibly timeshift. I also have my satellite TV coming in and shortly will be installing the Fusion HDTV3 Gold card for free OTA and cable HDTV programming. Of course this one will be connected to the projector.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Originally Posted by pbhalerao
    In America all you get free are PBS and some news channels

Wait a minute I don't think that works out....

"Over the Air" channels include the big networks - CBS FOX ABC NBC and UPN WB. Plus any regional nonaffiliated channels.....

Kevin

(no news only channels over the air that I know of in the US)
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    have cable hooked up to mine using mce works ok for what i need
    People who love sausage and respect the law should never watch either of them being made.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not yet, although I've thought about it. 10 or 15 years ago I used to record a lot of shows to VHS without being assulted by a barrage of commercials, but the shows I do watch nowadays bombard me with them. And I damn sure don't want to record that crap, nor bother with removing it. I do have a spare computer .... and it would be a interesting experience though. Maybe when they get HDTV perfected.
    "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms." - THOMAS JEFFERSON .. 1776
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Gritz,
    The beauty of PVR + RF remote is that you can zap away(skip) commercials with just a press of a remote button.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yep,
    Dedicated P4 1.6Ghz, XP Pro, 768Meg RAM, 40GB HD, Pioneer DVR-106, SPDIF Digital audio and Svideo connection to Denon 3805 reciever, Ethernet connection to my main comp(P4 3Ghz, 1.25Gig RAM, 400Gig of HDD's etc.) and cable internet. Mostly used for MP3 jukebox and watching other stuff. Never used as a dvd player for the projector as the Denon 2200 kills it for quality.
    Im thinking of getting a HDTV card for it and use it as a VCR replacement.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  23. jonathome45
    What I'm looking for is good cordless keyboard/mouse combo. I'm using USB extension chords now, Have tried several cordless products but all have poor range/performance. Any recommendations?
    Any Keyboard and Mouse combo that is RF should give you the range you need.
    There is nothing illegal, until you get caught!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks pchan. When you say "skip" do you mean by fast forwarding? I remember some time back about software that would recognize the "black" panel that both preceeded and followed each commercial and would either by-pass or automatically just not record ... but I'm not sure if it was just hopeful thinking ... or an actual product. It would be nice if "skipping" the commercials would require no interaction when I finally at the end of the day plop into my chair for a little relaxation .... oh well ... maybe someday. :^)
    "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms." - THOMAS JEFFERSON .. 1776
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Over half of you don't know what it is?????

Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruce
    Over half of you don't know what it is?????
    I'll assume it's a substitute answer because there's no "Why would I watch movies on my computer when I have an HDTV?" answer to check off.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just built one using the mozart case with an AMD+3500. I have 2 gigs of ram and four 250 gig hard drives for my music collection and one sixty gig for operating system and program. I'm using a NVIDIAcard hooked up to a 50 inch samsung hi-def tv.
    member since 1843
    Quote Quote