VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Are you going to watch the Oscars?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, I like to watch 4 hours of booring speeches..."I would like to thank..."...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No It's a waste of good sleep time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I care nothing for the movies that are in consideration this year. I watched it last year when "Return of the King" was nominated for best picture (among other things). I also watched years ago when "Beauty and the Beast" was nominated for best picture. Too bad it didn't win. That would've been a first. It was a first anyways just being nominated.

I think I will just sleep through it this year and read the news reports on the web.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to do something different, for ever Beer Spot. I'll drink a beer. I Own it myself. It was a tough year. Better yet I'll drink a 6 pack and look at the Oscar with Ex. Oh excuse me, New Wife.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I never watch it, I'll never will! Is a too foreigner show for me!
    In the matter of fact, I don't watch any kind of "award shows" the late years...

There was I time I use to watch the MTV European Music Awards. But after I realise (back in 1996) that in fact they never award any European artists, only Americans and few British, I stop watching them too...

I only watch the TMF music awards now. The Belgium and the Nederland ones. Now that is what I call awards! But movie awards? No.
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
  6. There was I time I use to watch the MTV European Music Awards. But after I realise (back in 1996) that in fact they never award any European artists, only Americans and few British, I stop watching them too...
    MTV is a joke, they warp young peoples' minds . I don't think you're missing out. :P
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Bodyslide
    No It's a waste of good sleep time.
    It is a waste of good <enter activity of choice here> time
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Haven't watched it for many years and not going to start it now. It is one of the most tedious and lame shows on TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i will watch parts of it.. not really paying attention.. its mostly a bore. but has some ok parts. so outa 4 hours ill see maybe 45 total min of it..
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wish i could get nominated for doing my job. would be nice to get the freebies though.So no i wont be watching
    People who love sausage and respect the law should never watch either of them being made.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Nope won't watch it.

I saw last years hoping Return of the King would win and boy did it ever!

Kevin

PS - hey Baldrick - you taking over the polls from TGPO??????
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no
    i like to pretend that i have a life
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Already missing his polls? He will be back....he just needed a pollvacation...burned out from 2 years of poll creating .
    Quote Quote  
  14. I find it to be very true that only gay guys watch these kinda award shows. To be honest, who gives a crap watching these fake actors/actress flaunting with their thousand $$$ dress. I could care less who win what.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My wife will watch it
    Actually the benefit for me is only one satelite channel have good coverage of it and we had to subscribe so I can watch movies and Spain league now
    Thanks wives...
    Quote Quote  
  16. I won't be watching, well unless they increase the number of wardrobe malfunctions that is

Sabro
    www.sabronet.com - It's all you need...to know
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Heywould3
    i will watch parts of it.. not really paying attention.. its mostly a bore. but has some ok parts. so outa 4 hours ill see maybe 45 total min of it..
    My option exactly. In India the live feed happens during the day so it is not a waste of sleep; but then there are always other things that take precedence. At least during the evening, one has to only decide between sleep or stay awake.
    *** My computer can beat me at chess, but is no match when it comes to kick-boxing. ***
    Quote Quote  
  18. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Will I miss Hollywood's biggest ass-kissing contest of the year? Definitely.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My ex-girlfriend's dad called it the "Jewish Cup", which I thought was a bit funny at the time...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @pbhalerao: Does Bollywood have any "Oscar" like awards too?
    Quote Quote  
  21. @Satstorm, yes we do. In fact too many at the moment. Local TV/Film channels have all started their own. But the most well known are Filmfare Annual Flim Awards and the National Awards.

The National Awards is conducted by the government and covers the entire Indian Film industry -regional films as well (perhaps you are aware that we in India have 25 regional languages). National award selects the best amongst all which include Bollywood films. As opposed Filmfare awards are restricted to Bollywood (Hindi films made from the Bombay/Mumbai film industry). Filmfare awards also have one category called best regional film. Both awards carry their own significance.

Some pointers:

- Bollywood films general lack seriousness and quality. This is generally due to lack of good scripts.
    - Only 5% films make it to the 'hit' category at the box office
    - Song and dance is an integral part of Bollywood - this is perhaps due to the perception (whether true or not) that the Indian moviegoer expects a complete entertainmaint package. This is why it is perplexing to others why Indian movies contain songs and dances.
    - As a by-product of the above the movies are usually long - about 2.5 hrs at the mimimum
    - Bollywood lacks a studio system as in the west. It is an uregulated industry. Since it has no standing very few financial backings come out from the banks and FI's. The Indian mafia has a lot of control on it.
    - Just because a certain actor/actress won the National/Filmfare award, does not mean that he/she will become much sought after later
    - Unlike in Hollywood, a typical Bollywood actress starts at 20+ and is finished by the time she is 30+. There may be exceptions but there you are.
    - There are very few 'bankable' stars in Bollywood; most major hits are attributable to them

There are a few more pointers but then this topic could become a new forum by itself.

BTW, have you seen any Bollywood movies?
    *** My computer can beat me at chess, but is no match when it comes to kick-boxing. ***
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info...

I can receive plenty Indian channels from Satellite. And yes, I have seen few Bollywood movies. It was an exotic thing to watch and not so foreigner for me.

Here is why:
    http://www.sangeetmahal.com/journal_hindi_films_greece.asp

Also, I use to receive through satellite MTV India (now it is digital and coded, I still can watch it now and then, when Showtime Arabia network on Nilesat 101 change keys and the channels appears FTA for a day or so...). What was a suprise for me is how beautiful the indian girls looked on those pictures... All those girls dancing india pop songs (they sound like 20 year old euro pop stuff) is very exotic for me!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another reason why Bollywood films have so much dance and song in them is that they were/are produced with an international audience in mind. When I was in the Peace Corps decades ago, I remember the 2 kinds of films that would be shown in my desert village were Hindu romances (Bollywood) and kung fu flics. With these films, there isn't much need to understand the language, or read sub titles - which were usually in a foreign language anyway. We would just sit in the sand, look up at the sheet for a screen, relax to the hum of the generator, and watchd as beautiful Indian women danced and sang to their sweethearts (or at least that is what we assumed they were doing).
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pbhalerao
    The Indian mafia has a lot of control on it.?
    Here in the states they control most 7/11's.

Getting back to the original subject:

After you pass 30 it becomes obvious that the Oscars are little more than a political popularity contest. They lost me once I noticed awards shows winning awards.

Consider these points:

The Academy has admitted to giving out awards due to age/health/ and time in the business. What value is an award when someone "wins" because they've been passed over many times before, and now they're old and/or have Cancer?
    "Hollywood is controlled by Jews". Well, this has been said many times, though Hollywood doesn't like to hear it (but just ask Marlon Brando).

Sure, ROTK won last year, but only after the first two films were passed over. What, ROTK is that much better than the other two? No, it has become very well known how much Jackson has put into these films, not to mention what he did for New Zealand's film industry. Believe me, had the first two films never been made, ROTK would have received diddly squat.

So, based on my "opinion" here are my predictions (keep in mind I haven't seen most of the films):

BEST PICTURE: RAY - Why? Ray Charles died last year. I'm sure it's a good film, but that's just gravy.

Why not?
    THE AVIATOR - Hughes died too long ago. Has to occur less than two years before the Oscars.
    FINDING NEVERLAND - See "Ray"
    MILLION DOLLAR BABY - Clints already gotten his share. Besides, he's not dying or even sick.
    SIDEWAYS - See "Ray"

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE:
    Jamie Foxx - RAY
    Why? See "Ray". Besides, when you receive two nominations in the same year, they HAVE to give you one of them. Usually it would be the lessor of the two, but like I said, Ray Charles died.

Why not?
    Don Cheadle - HOTEL RWANDA - Sorry, the western world doesn't care about poor black Africans. Also, see "Ray" above.
    Johnny Depp - FINDING NEVERLAND - Weird character, weird actor. Nice costumes though. Maybe they'll toss it a bone for wardrobe.
    Leonardo DiCaprio - THE AVIATOR - DiCaprio still looks like a kid. Also, see "Ray"
    Clint Eastwood - See MILLION DOLLAR BABY above.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    Alan Alda - THE AVIATOR - Possibly, since he's been around so long and hasn't won anything in like 20 years.
    Thomas Haden Church - SIDEWAYS - Who?
    Jamie Foxx - COLLATERAL - See "Ray"
    Morgan Freeman - MILLION DOLLAR BABY - another possibility due to race coupled with the fact that he's been nominated three times before, but you never know what they'll be thinking: "We're already giving one to a black actor this decade", or "He's old, never won, and besides, it'll appear we don't discriminate against blacks". If he wins, they can use it for the next five years.
    Clive Owen - CLOSER - See Thomas Haden Church above.

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
    Imelda Staunton - VERA DRAKE Why? The subject matter is "In" in H'wood right now. Having an English setting doesn't hurt either.

Why not?
    Annette Bening - BEING JULIA - Already has one.
    Catalina Sandino Moreno - MARIA FULL OF GRACE - Sorry, your first movie. Besides, you're Latina.
    Hilary Swank - MILLION DOLLAR BABY - See Annette Bening above.
    Kate Winslet - ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND - Sure she's English, but the movie is too weird for Hollywood

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    Cate Blanchett - THE AVIATOR - she'll slug it out with Virgina, below, due to V's length of time in the biz. Not really English, but close enough.
    Laura Linney - KINSEY - Too commercial for Hollywood. I know, Titanic was too, but too many people owe a debt to Titanic. They don't own Kinsey anything.
    Virginia Madsen - SIDEWAYS - possibly. See "Alan Alda" above.
    Sophie Okonedo - HOTEL RWANDA - Nope, we already have our quota, plus nobody here REALLY cares what happened.
    Natalie Portman - CLOSER - Too young. Too hot. Makes males uncomfortable fantasizing about her, due to the fact that she suffers from the "DiCaprio" syndrome.

So remember, if you want to make a film that'll win an Oscar:

Hire sick or dying actors. The older the better.
    Dress them up in Elizabethan costumes, even if it's a scifi flick. Trust me on this one.
    Don't do anything to piss off the Hollywood Jews, er, I mean moguls.

My apologies if I offended anyone other than Academy members.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Originally Posted by baldrick
    yoda313 wrote:

Already missing his polls? He will be back....he just needed a pollvacation...burned out from 2 years of poll creating .
    Certainly understandable. Takes a lot of creativity and you need time to recharge

You're doing a fine job on polls in his place baldrick

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WATCHED THE GRAMMY'S, IT ROCKED
    OSCARS? DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!!!!1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have any idea how much World of Warcraft I can fit into the time it would take to watch that crappy awards show?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by leebo

Consider these points:

The Academy has admitted to giving out awards due to age/health/ and time in the business. What value is an award when someone "wins" because they've been passed over many times before, and now they're old and/or have Cancer?
    "Hollywood is controlled by Jews". Well, this has been said many times, though Hollywood doesn't like to hear it (but just ask Marlon Brando).

Sure, ROTK won last year, but only after the first two films were passed over. What, ROTK is that much better than the other two? No, it has become very well known how much Jackson has put into these films, not to mention what he did for New Zealand's film industry. Believe me, had the first two films never been made, ROTK would have received diddly squat.

So, based on my "opinion" here are my predictions (keep in mind I haven't seen most of the films):

BEST PICTURE: RAY - Why? Ray Charles died last year. I'm sure it's a good film, but that's just gravy.

Why not?
    THE AVIATOR - Hughes died too long ago. Has to occur less than two years before the Oscars.
    FINDING NEVERLAND - See "Ray"
    MILLION DOLLAR BABY - Clints already gotten his share. Besides, he's not dying or even sick.
    SIDEWAYS - See "Ray"

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE:
    Jamie Foxx - RAY
    Why? See "Ray". Besides, when you receive two nominations in the same year, they HAVE to give you one of them. Usually it would be the lessor of the two, but like I said, Ray Charles died.

Why not?
    Don Cheadle - HOTEL RWANDA - Sorry, the western world doesn't care about poor black Africans. Also, see "Ray" above.
    Johnny Depp - FINDING NEVERLAND - Weird character, weird actor. Nice costumes though. Maybe they'll toss it a bone for wardrobe.
    Leonardo DiCaprio - THE AVIATOR - DiCaprio still looks like a kid. Also, see "Ray"
    Clint Eastwood - See MILLION DOLLAR BABY above.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    Alan Alda - THE AVIATOR - Possibly, since he's been around so long and hasn't won anything in like 20 years.
    Thomas Haden Church - SIDEWAYS - Who?
    Jamie Foxx - COLLATERAL - See "Ray"
    Morgan Freeman - MILLION DOLLAR BABY - another possibility due to race coupled with the fact that he's been nominated three times before, but you never know what they'll be thinking: "We're already giving one to a black actor this decade", or "He's old, never won, and besides, it'll appear we don't discriminate against blacks". If he wins, they can use it for the next five years.
    Clive Owen - CLOSER - See Thomas Haden Church above.

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
    Imelda Staunton - VERA DRAKE Why? The subject matter is "In" in H'wood right now. Having an English setting doesn't hurt either.

Why not?
    Annette Bening - BEING JULIA - Already has one.
    Catalina Sandino Moreno - MARIA FULL OF GRACE - Sorry, your first movie. Besides, you're Latina.
    Hilary Swank - MILLION DOLLAR BABY - See Annette Bening above.
    Kate Winslet - ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND - Sure she's English, but the movie is too weird for Hollywood

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    Cate Blanchett - THE AVIATOR - she'll slug it out with Virgina, below, due to V's length of time in the biz. Not really English, but close enough.
    Laura Linney - KINSEY - Too commercial for Hollywood. I know, Titanic was too, but too many people owe a debt to Titanic. They don't own Kinsey anything.
    Virginia Madsen - SIDEWAYS - possibly. See "Alan Alda" above.
    Sophie Okonedo - HOTEL RWANDA - Nope, we already have our quota, plus nobody here REALLY cares what happened.
    Natalie Portman - CLOSER - Too young. Too hot. Makes males uncomfortable fantasizing about her, due to the fact that she suffers from the "DiCaprio" syndrome.

So remember, if you want to make a film that'll win an Oscar:

Hire sick or dying actors. The older the better.
    Dress them up in Elizabethan costumes, even if it's a scifi flick. Trust me on this one.
    Don't do anything to piss off the Hollywood Jews, er, I mean moguls.

My apologies if I offended anyone other than Academy members.
    You certainly put some thought into that. And while I dont disagree with much I do see some light at the end of the tunnel. Consider "Sideways" an Indy nominated. There is hope.
    btw my guess is "The Aviator" for best pic.

Considering the poll, yes I'll watch. Have for over 20 yrs. For someone that really, really loves movies It's my one mandatory night of the year. Dont always agree but it's fun. Besides it's not really our party. It's Hollywood's night and everyone is entitled to celebrate their work.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Watch? No... sep I will have the CPU record it being it's in HD just in case something really strange happens or some chick shows up looking freaky hot. It's just a few mouse clicks to record and I'm thinking I can blast past the whole show in less then an hour? Ya know skipping just about everything sep maybe a few Chris Rock jokes and anything else that might be interesting..

I can watch award shows if they break out the musical acts, like say the grammys do.. Even if I might not like all the music they play, interesting to see them anyways.. errrrrrrr but watching people I don't know, thank other people that I don't know for a film I did not see over and over for 3+ hours!?! No.. just no.. That is what FF is for..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll watch simply because i'm in the oscar pool. I just get advice from friends though; the only movie i've seen of any of them is Shrek 2 lol

Later!

Rog
    There are many ways to measure success. You just have to find your own yardstick.
    Quote Quote