VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. here is my question, I have done some research and found both burners to be good. Right now, im kind of stuck in the middle and want some feed back. I currently have lets just say "some" (as in 1 or more, leave it at that) pioneers 106's, love em, they burn on good media Riteks G04, never had a problem with discs.
    Now, I am trying to make up my mind on should I go with the pioneer 109 or nec 3520.
    Im looking for a burner that wont have any issues with media; either ritek, prodisc, verbatim, (any other media I am open too) im looking at burning at 16x FYI; also with this burner & media, minuim playback problems.

With my pioneer 106, and some Riteks, they play on EVERYTHING! and thats what im looking for. So im open to new media, and 1 or the other in burners. Thanks to all for your input.

PS: Please speak from personal exprience, nonne of this well, ive heard, or my friend stuff. I want to know persoally what hell you have done to your burner/media. Thx
    Quote Quote  
  2. I had a 105 that also burnt everything. I bought the 108(said to be the same as the 109) and it would not burn the ProdiscS03 printables that I was using. I have some printable Prodisc with the code MCC 01 RG20 that work even at 8X. I did not notice anyone else on this forum that is having this problem so maybe it isn't common but when I try the S03 in the 105 they burn fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like my 109.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have been using the 3500 every day for months, perfect burns every time. It has yet to make a coaster. It's about $20 less than the Pioneer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I had a 107D that burned OK but had scans consistently in the 60-80s. These were not bad and they all played. When I got my 3500 I found I never had a scan with errors higher than 30s; most were in the teens (Ritek R03, G05, TY G01, MCC, Prodisc S03, Ricoh W11). So I have a preferrence for NEC. I have not seen any 109 scans yet but if I were starting over and deciding between the two I would want to see some scans on the 109 with the media I would be using. You should check cdfreaks.com to see what other Pioneer owners say and also see if you can find any 109 scans.

I would say either drive should be top quality.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  6. I had a 106 that was great and now have the 108 and have had problems with Ritek G05's and Prodisc MCC 8x's. I have tried Verbatim (probably my favorite, but cost keeps me away...) and TY's which I use more often than anything else.

BTW, what is supposed to be the difference between the 108 and 109? RW burn speed?
    Boy do I love my avatar!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well
    i can not agree with lordsmurf about new pioneer 109 firmware 1.17 latest burning quality and buffer which is not stable.

all my burns on 108 PI/PO scans with verbatim MCC02 are better than with new pioneer 109????

i am thinking to keep ald 108 and resell 109....
    109 burns really awfull...after 1.5gb

so i would with plextor probably....haha
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The buffer issue is related to Nero 6. Nero 6 sucks. Using RecordNow Max yields perfect burns with zero buffer issues. RNM is not bloatware like Nero 6. Sadly, all attempts (by numerous people) to hack Nero 5.5 to use the 109 have failed.

The 109 produces very clean burns.

Visit the Pioneer forum at cdfreaks:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks lordsmurf
    so do you think high PI/PO after 1.5GB with MCC02 are software related?
    i use nero

my old 108 did not have any of those issues,,,,just new 109 does it remember...
    Quote Quote  
  10. I gave up on Nero and went to Decrypter after having buffer problems with Nero using the NEC 3500. Everything works great with Decrypter.
    Quote Quote  
  11. either one is the best, the difference is the price, just pick one

I preffer nec for price and bitsetting
    Quote Quote  
  12. Does the PI/PO work will all drives ?
    I always got "the current drive is not suitable for this operation".
    Quote Quote  
  13. Nero works perfectly with BenQ 1620!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by cd090580
    Does the PI/PO work will all drives ?
    I always got "the current drive is not suitable for this operation".
    Sorry, no. Unfortunately the best drives do not work with PI/PIF testing. The next best drive that does work is the BenQ 1620. Otherwise many of us with Pioneer and NEC get a Liteon burner for testing.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can get a LiteOn for $50 at Circuit City on clearance if you really want PI/PO.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Can the NEC be flashed later to support dvd-R DL? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bnbhoha
    Can the NEC be flashed later to support dvd-R DL? Thanks
    the NEC is a DVD-R DL capable drive
    no need to flash it
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The pioneer , in reviews, is said to very picky with media and doesnt have the greatest read times. With the NEC at least you can take off the riplock and it burns like gold too.
    COPIED OVER 600 DVDS SO FAR
    Quote Quote  
  19. They will have a hacked firmware for the 109 soon, if they don't already, to remove riplock. However, if it's anything like the 108 then it will definitely have probs with certain media. (my experience that is)
    Boy do I love my avatar!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mattyboy
    The pioneer , in reviews, is said to very picky with media and doesnt have the greatest read times.
    Totally disagree. It's burned some pretty crappy DVD+R media pretty well, and read quality is as excellent as any Pioneer reader laser (ROM or R). Look at some of the cdfreaks tests. The 109 is outperforming a lot of other drives, especially with DL quality.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Well i hav an old NEC 1100,still going strong,use it daily,no hack/firmware
    i could sit out the few extra Mins,and i use any + media on it
    Cant really say about the New Generation
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by mattyboy
    The pioneer , in reviews, is said to very picky with media and doesnt have the greatest read times.
    Totally disagree. It's burned some pretty crappy DVD+R media pretty well, and read quality is as excellent as any Pioneer reader laser (ROM or R). Look at some of the cdfreaks tests. The 109 is outperforming a lot of other drives, especially with DL quality.
    Thats where the review came from Cdfreaks.com
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The buffer issue is related to Nero 6. Nero 6 sucks. Using RecordNow Max yields perfect burns with zero buffer issues. RNM is not bloatware like Nero 6. Sadly, all attempts (by numerous people) to hack Nero 5.5 to use the 109 have failed.

The 109 produces very clean burns.

Visit the Pioneer forum at cdfreaks:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87
    .....lordsmurf which version of recordnow are you referring to?
    Quote Quote  
  24. do a search here, he already posted it. it's a hacked 4.5

and, I still use my NEC 1100, daily for the last 2 yrs.....burn, rip everything...my only drive

Quote Quote  
  25. Does the Recordnow Max 4.5 with the new pxengine work with the 108 LordSmurf?
    Boy do I love my avatar!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I remember the NEC 1300 being very picky with media, and went from that one to Pioneer 107. Is NEC 3520 as picky with media as 1300A was? Which of the two offers best support for different media?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My 109 does excellent burns. Further it can be flashed to a Pioneer A09 (which undoes the rip lock, but also voids your warranty). The only problem that I've noticed is with Nero 6.6.x and -R burns, but I've convinced myself that the problem has something to do with Nero.

One thing that you might want to consider. The next version of Nero CDSpeed will implement PI/PIF error checking for the NEC 35xx drives. The only program that presently does error checking with the Pio 109 is DVDInfo Pro. I'm not "into" doing a lot of error checking (beyond just seeing if the DVD will play properly), but if you want to use budget level blank DVDs, having a good error checking program might be a consideration.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Zechnubis
    Is NEC 3520 as picky with media as 1300A was? Which of the two offers best support for different media?
    Not even close. The ND-35x0A-series drives are among the least media-picky of all drives available.

Although some media may not be supported at it's rated speed, the NEC, in my eyes, has better media support than the Pioneer. In my opinion it is quality, not speed, that is most important. And in contrary to what a lot of people say on these forums, the NEC works well with stock firmware "out of the box".

Regards,
    TerminalVeloCD
    Currently own:
    * ASUS CRW-5232AS 'QuieTrak'
    * JLMS XJ-HD165H
    * LiteON LTR-32123S, LTR-52327S, SOHR-5238S
    * NEC ND-2500A@2510A, ND-3500A, ND-3520A
    * Pioneer DVR-107D, DVR-108, DVR-109
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Terminal! Now im gonna get a NEC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zechnubis
    I remember the NEC 1300 being very picky with media, and went from that one to Pioneer 107. Is NEC 3520 as picky with media as 1300A was? Which of the two offers best support for different media?
    I had a NEC ND-1300A and it did very good quality burns but only when I used Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs or Maxell "Made In Japan" DVD-R discs. Anything else I tried (for the most part) did not work well with it.

I would still be using it if it wasn't for the fact that I bought a brand new computer (in December 2004) that came with a Pioneer DVD burner which so far is burning most excellent at 8x speed (it is not the A09/109) but again I have only been using Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs or Maxell "Made In Japan" DVD-R discs with it.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote