VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Does anybody use the JVC HM-DH40000 as a VHS/SVHS player and if so, what is your experience?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this is the DVHS player, I've seen demos and heard nothing but unimpressed comments from users. Most of them ended up reselling it. This is one of those near-vaporware devices. HD on a VHS like cassette has no future. It has NO FILTERS as compared to the S-VHS units, even low end ones. You should look at one to verify what I've seen and others have told me. I'd not jump and purchase one without on-site testing and demo first.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah,

I have some JVC info in front of me...

"... Pre-Processing TBC, Frame Synchronizer, 3-D Motion Detecting Noise Reduction...Super VHS with DigiPure Technology... remove jitter and noise...the highest picture quality even in analog..."

...but this is all about the recording capability, what about playing prerecorded VHS/SVHS tapes?

Anybody there that is using this monster?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The JVC DVHS machines are supposed to be similar in quality to their 9000 series SVHS units on playback, but I have no first hand knowledge of that.

I do have a HR-DVS1U on hand (that was their first MiniDV and S-VHS combo unit). The build quality is very good... a heavy machine like the 9500 and the 9600. PQ on the S-VHS side is identical to the 9500 I had. It has the 4MB DigiPure TBC/DNR. It also does DV stream pass through conversion (like some camcorders do) when you play a VHS tape or feed it a video input... with excellent analog to DV conversion quality. The MiniDV side of the unit works OK, but is a little bit touchy about playback of tapes recorded on a different machine (camcorder).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I must be thinking about a different model then.
    Nevermind.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You are right lordsmurf, this is DVHS model, the latest one... from 2004.

Quote Quote  
  7. Yep... DVHS. I've seen those in the stores, but have never checked one out. The videophile crowd likes the HD playback on them, though. There are some commercial titles available in the DVHS high def format.

Here's a picture of the HR-DVS1U combo MiniDV and SVHS machine

That's a real brushed aluminum faceplate, all metal body... nice. $2K when new.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This HR-DVS1U combo deck makes nice digital copies of old tapes.

An HR-S9911 with TBC-1000 to Sony DSR-11 makes a digital copy to the same level of quality.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I gotta say that after playing back some 15 year-old tapes on this vcr, the qaulity is actually better than playing back on the jvc 9800...money well spent!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by awhitney
    I gotta say that after playing back some 15 year-old tapes on this vcr, the qaulity is actually better than playing back on the jvc 9800...money well spent!
    Which VCR, the 40000 D-VHS unit?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    Originally Posted by awhitney
    Which VCR, the 40000 D-VHS unit?
    the 40000
    Quote Quote  
  12. Sounds like the JVC D-VHS units are a great alternative for those looking for a decent 9000 series machine (which are getting harder to find)...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not having the best of times with my JVC HM-DH30000U:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=262797
    Quote Quote  
  14. I just got a JVC 30000 D-VHS unit... I was expecting it to perform well as a VHS playback deck since it has the 4MB TBC/DNR processor. It does not have the image quality I hoped it would. It is built well, and supposedly does great with the high def D-VHS stuff... but is terrible for VHS playback.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hey awhitney or gshelley,

I just purchased a refurbished HM40000u. I don't have any experience with the JVC 9000 series, but it looks to be a clear improvement versus my old Mitsubishi HS-U746. I found it interesting that, although JVC's site mentions the Digipure system with 4 MB frame memory for this model, there is no mention of Digipure or TBC/DNR anywhere in the 90+ page manual. How does one know whether or not it is activated? Is it always on? Always on except when video stabilizer is off? Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  16. It's the 3DNR button on the 30000 unit.

BTW, I watched a couple of high def D-Theater movies on this thing, and they looked really great. Still not a good VHS machine, though.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yeah, I downloaded and read the manual for the 30000 and confirmed what you said about 3DNR. The 40000 does not have that button or any place identified in the menu where that feature can be enabled/disabled. I have a request in to JVC customer service for more info and will share their response when I get it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I would only buy this is you really need it, right now to record in HD format.

Best just to wait for HD-DVD recorder or a Blu-Ray Recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mudjock
    Yeah, I downloaded and read the manual for the 30000 and confirmed what you said about 3DNR. The 40000 does not have that button or any place identified in the menu where that feature can be enabled/disabled. I have a request in to JVC customer service for more info and will share their response when I get it.
    Yeah, this is what I was talking about earlier. No filters, no TBC. Are there multiple models or something? And I also got nothing but complaints on VHS and S-VHS playback on the D-VHS units.

You guys were making me second-guess myself when the thread started. Thought I was cracking up for a while there.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually I have the 40,000.

It is an incredible machine. First of all it does have a TBC (not sure why anyone would think it wouldn't...) and if you would go to JVC that info is readily available. It is an excellent, absolutely fantastic TBC. As for filters it has many filters for VHS, S-VHS.

• Time Base Corrector removes jitter from fluctuating video signals (it really does)
    • Digital YNR/CNY improves signal-to-noise ratio by 3 dB

The VHS, S-VHS playback is stunning on this device.

There is no "button" as it is a sleek device. The settings are via the remote and menu. The TBC can not be turned off as it is a REAL TBC unlike regular JVC VCR's and it never makes the picture worse. The noise filtering and other filters can be manipulated.

Having said this, the device is an HDTV recorder. This is its main function. Also I should say it is a full spec HDTV device, something that is very rare in the market right now. Most HDTV device are only capable of 1280x720.
    This device is 1980x1080 and it plays back VHS, S-VHS at 720x480 MPEG2 @9mb/s with PCM. For audio, D-VHS encodes Dolby Digital at 576 Kbps (compared to DVD's 384 Kbps and 448 Kbps data rates).

The video can be recorded in the PC via firewire. For the device to work in this regard you need to install the already included JVC winXP driver upon XP's detection of the 40,000 unit. Then you can cap via firewire at 1980x1080 all day if you wish. It does not let you capture macrovison protected content via firewire, though you can watch it on the monitor, the recording function seems to disappear in all firewire capture programs. This is something that must be built into the programs.

Further, you can pass the video via firwire in progressive mode if you wish to save time by not having to deinterlace if you are into editing. The play, stop, pause, etc buttons for in programs so you don't need to use the remote. They also work with other standalone device you can connect to it via firewire.

Someone mentioned that the tapes are stupid. No. They are not stupid.
    An HDTV movie can not fit on a DVD nor would it fit on 10 DVD's. Right now there is no alternative. You can buy an HDTV recorder that records to HD. That means you can't keep the film as you need need to record the next film/show/event on top of it. Now that is stupid. Besides those devices are not full spec HDTV.

The tapes are digital not VHS tapes and they can store 50GB's/ The cost about $9 and the 30GB tapes cost about $6.5. Perhaps blue ray will one day be marketed....

Here is how much time you can get on one tape;
    • HS (28.2 Mbps; 210 minutes max with DF-420 cassette)
    • STD (14.1 Mbps; 420 minutes max with DF-420 cassette)
    • LS3 (4.7 Mbps; 1,260 minutes max with DF-420 cassette)
    • LS5 (2.8 Mbps; 2,100 minutes max with DF-420 cassette)

• SP (210 minutes max with S-VHS or VHS cassette)
    • EP (630 minutes max with S-VHS or VHS cassette)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Where does this unit claim to have an embedded always-on TBC? That's horrible. A TBC can make things worse sometimes (not often, but happens), must have the option to turn it off, or remove it from a chain.

You know, the Japanese documents claim the JVC DR-M10S has a TBC, but it's all BS, there is not TBC in here. I bet this is the same way.

The model I looked add didn't have squat in terms of filters (calibration, stabilizer, etc) and surely had no DNR/TBC, which is not the same as full frame. This DNR one is for "cleaning" the signal.

Something here just does not add up.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I just got this machine (the 40000U so I have no idea about the other models) for under $100 at CompUSA close out and it is very impressive as far as a machine goes, it seems to have the TBC which the menu calls a Video Stabalizer but it does not work the same as other JVC "stabalizers" so I am going to lean to think its more like a TBC on the 9600 than it is a video stabalizer say on the SVHS 3300 or the JVC DVD Recorder combo unit (basically the most basic help you can give a tape), think a higher power mid level TBC, but I tested it against the output of the 9600 and the 9900 and it was flawlessly identical, so it stands to think its has some good behind it, I would not call it a full TBC like the ones Datavideo sells

I have also noticed unlike the stabalizers on the lower end JVC units this one does not seem to mess up the picture when its on, anyone who has owned a JVC unit that is on the lower end scale of $100-150 (2900, etc) knows that if you turn on the stabalizer when its not needed the image sometimes jumps and is not stable, when turned off the image returns to normal, this one does not seem to do that, when its on the image is fine, when its off is when you see the need to use it, I will continue to test that out just to see what makes it tick

It can be turned on and off via the menu and has worked miracles on some previously horrid tapes so take that for what its worth, no tearing, maybe some jitter only in the worst condition tapes, I liken it to LordSmurfs recent purchase of the Panasonic DVD Recorder to use as a tape helper

It has the same interface as the JVC DVD Recorder which is just weird, it also has the Noise Removal (R3) just like the SVHS 9600 and other higher end models, I do not see any reason to think its not the same as the feature I utilize on the 9600, I mean the lower end SVHS machines do not have that feature so it begs to ask why just put an option on the menu for this one if its not there

I am definitly keeping mine becuase the output and quality rivals any JVC unit I have ever owned (easily a excellent replacement for my older JVC SVHS's)

I have also ordered some DVHS tapes just because I want to see what the hell this unit was actually created for, I mean I own it so why not see how the $9 tapes that record 300+ minutes in high quallity is like, its interesting to note it claims to be able to record analog and digital signals on DVHS tapes so I want to see if it actually does record over 300 minutes in SP looking quality, again more of a toy for me so I find no problem is playing with it

Now I would not say this is better than the 9600 or the 9900 but its definitly NOT a piece of crap, the results I have seen last night and this morning easily put it on my "gotta keep this" list. Everyone has their opinions, I am just giving mine, I have never seen this piece of hardware in stores so its more of an oddity to me, if you had asked me yesterday would I have ever bought a JVC HD40000U I would have asked what the hell is it and why would I want one, now the answer is not so clear

Of course I only paid around $55-60 after tax (no box, no manual, no cables, no remote, but I did not need any of those) so I am more than happy, do not know if I would go out and spend the anywhere from $379-700 this thing goes for in retail because there is so much other hardware worth buying but if its low enough this is a great unit, I put it through the ringer last night seeing what it played and what it did not and frankly I am very impressed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by markatisu
    Iit seems to have the TBC which the menu calls a Video Stabalizer but it does not work the same as other JVC "stabalizers" so I am going to lean to think its more like a TBC on the 9600 than it is a video stabalizer say on the SVHS 3300 or the JVC DVD Recorder combo unit
    vewwy vewwy innnnnnnnnnnnnteresting

R3 is supposed to be edge correction, not NR.
    Is the unit still missing CALIBRATION and PICTURE modes?
    Quote Quote  
  24. It has what they call Vertical Hold but I have no idea what it does, its on by default and I just leave it on

It also has the norm settings of SOFT, EDIT, AUTO and SHARP, I usually almost always use SOFT for everything

I can take pics of the menu screens if anyone wants, its almost identical down to the colors of the MV1 and other JVC DVD Recorders which like I said is just weird for any of us that is used to the plain blue JVC menu

I picked up some Maxell DVHS tapes at Best Buy today and I am going to use them to backup record some stuff this week to test out the 5hr mode that claims to be as good as 2hr SVHS SP

I also am going to test it a pass through unit same as LordSmurf did with the Panasonic to see if it helps the other equipment I have in any way shape or form, then in the big chain of equipment (BVP, Detailer IV, etc)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by markatisu
    I can take pics of the menu screens if anyone wants
    I do! I do! Me want! Me want! :P
    Quote Quote  
  26. OK I took basic screenshots of the menu options and will get them online tomorrow, most I have no idea about since I think they related to HD recording (whether you want stereo sound or Stereo and PCM, etc) and the different video modes (its default I think is 720 but it has other options), if anyone has any questions about what sub options I can tell you, just did not feel like putting up pics of every option

I recorded several shows and also played back some loaned tapes I received to test using it as a VCR and the quality going into the JVC DVD Recorder rivaled the 9900 and 9600 series of SVHS (but this was for a perfect tape that required nothing) so the I think the previous model may have been at fault for the claims of being bad on playback, I experience no bad signs at all in these transfers, of course I guess every testing setup is different but I could not see the "hot transfers" or any of the other errors people seem to have associated with the 30000 series

I tested it with some crap mono tapes I recorded on a 1999 Magnovox VCR which had lines and other interference and it removed I would say about 99% of that, not sure if this was the R3 or the Soft feature but again it rivaled the 9900 and 9600 series in that dept

I will report back this week with how the DVHS records off digital cable and HD and plays back, maybe that is where the flaws are, that would be ironic that it would do everything BUT what it was originally designed for
    Quote Quote  
  27. OK I know I still need to put up the menu shots, long day

Well today I briefly played with the DVHS side, I used LS3 mode which records 15hrs on a DVHS tape and the results were 100% like SVHS, even better in some respects as it looked as if I was watching it live

Then I tried LS5 mode which is something around 20-25hrs, this is where I saw the blockiness and artifacts for the first time but that was only for maybe 10 seconds as it seemed like it was calibrating, after that initial time it never blocked again, looked a little softer than live TV but definitly no worse than VHS

Tried even more SVHS-ET tapes, SVHS tapes and regular VHS and still could not get blockiness or anything bad, so as far as a VHS/SVHS player it seems to be solid gold, whatever was wrong with the 30000U they must have fixed it or changed it between models

However I can now see why DVHS probably wont catch on, having never knew it was released to the masses its not surprsing, a big example of a problem with DVHS, the fast forward and rewinding of DVHS is slow as hell, its almost akin to 1x rewinding or fast fowarding on the JVC MV1 DVD recorder, only difference is on the 40000U you cannot RR or FF higher than 1x

Well that is my overview for now, hopefully that helps shed some light on the unit since it seems to have come and gone and has a lot of bad information or inaccurate information being passed about it
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hi, I am new here (noticed this posting and felt I should sign up/reply...two days later, I am here ).

Anyways, I own both the 40K and the 7600. The 7600 is pretty much identical to the 9600 but only has 2MB Frame Memory instead of 4MB. I'll reply again in the next day or so with some comments and details about each. For the most part, the manual with the 40K is regurgitated mostly...most of the pages look the same as that of the 7600. The 40K does have presets for picture (soft, auto, sharp, whatever), the same as that of the 7600, and also video calibration. However I am not sure about the whole TBC thing as far as the 40K. My 7600 is broken, boxed away, and I remember a button on the front panel that was either this or digital noise reduction. This is not on the 40K, and is not mentioned in the manual at all, whereas it is mentioned in the 7600 manual. One of the few differences. Recording quality between both decks seems to be the same from the short amount of time I have actually used the 40K (and also, on a small TV - 20").

If you want to read the manual for the 40K and cannot find it online, the Marantz MV8300 is a rebadged 40K and you can download the manual from the Marantz website.

On the whole, with the lack of the button on the front that is on the 7600/9600-9900 and also the lack of flying erase head, I would compare it to the Marantz MV5100 SVHS VCR, which I also believe is a rebadged JVC but yet I still do not know which model it is. The display on the unit is the same as the 7600/9600 and the insides are similar, but the menus are not identical nor does it have some of the features of the JVCs. Perhaps it is a 7800 or 7900, I do not know.

I will reply again in the next few days with some of the differences from the manuals of each. I think the 40K is a good substitute for the 9000 series but I still find myself wanting a functional 9600 or 7600 because of that crazy button on the front.
    Quote Quote  
  29. The button on the front of the 9000x series is the TBC to turn it on and off (last I remembered), the 40x does not have this button and nobody who owns this unit from what I read has ever said it did, like I stated the "stabalizer" in the menu that you can turn on and off is a sort of functioning TBC but does not work as well, its a lot better than the stabalizer found in the various lower end units of JVC but its no where near the Datavideo series or the AVT series (I have both the Datavideo 1000 and the AVT 81 whatever its called, just picked that up) and its about halfway between the stabalizer and the TBC so for "most" people it will be good enough

You can get the manual online at JVC under support and then search for 40000, its a laughable manual as barely anything in pertains to the 40x unit besides the basic functions, what amazed me is that the entire purpose is to be a HD recorder but yet the HD stuff in the manual is minimal, does not even go in depth into how to hook it up, its almost as if JVC figures you already blew your load on HD stuff you should know how to hook it up, when I read it I could not even find a page that listed what the HD ports on the back hook up to

The interface is probably foreign to a lot because it is almost an exact replica of the JVC DVD Recorder series, only difference is it has HD options (like recording PCM sound), I really need to get those screen grabs up

I do agree that it could never replace a unit like the 9600 or the 9900 but all in all I do not think it is as bad as the rap the 30x seems to have gotten, not sure what went wrong with that unit, probably just shoddy work in the 1st series much like my 3300 is sub par compared to the 9000x series

I do like the fact you can record over 10 hours of SVHS looking material on one tape, it helps when recording 1hr long shows that you just dont have time to watch at the moment, also makes a nice backup but the fast forwarding and rewinding through DVHS is just horrid to me, for some reason the digital kills that function

When you get more time any more thoughts or information I am sure would be appreciated, seems more people owned this unit then I thought, I intend soon to actually try to use the HD functions if for no other reason than to see how they work, have you been able to try out that part of the unit yet?
    Quote Quote  
  30. No, I haven't tried HD recording yet. I'm using the unit with an analog TV currently. Actually...now that I think about it, I tried recording in DVHS mode from standard cable broadcast, and thought perhaps it would automatically convert it to analog when played through the S-video/Composite outputs. Nothing...black screen. HD playback is only through either the firewire (haven't tried) or through the component video out.
    Quote Quote