VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,

Question 1: I burned my homemade video-movies on a DVD, but this DVD is not playable in a standalone player.

Question 2: How can i shrink the videofiles? At this moment I can do just 18 minutes of movie on a 4,7GB DVD.

The specs of my machine are: G4-450, OSX 10.3
    the internal DVD-burner is Pioneer 108 DL (but the media is single layer)
    I have uploaded and edited the videos in iMovie.

I am a beginner on the MAC, so please keep your answers understandable for dummies like me.

thank you
    Harro Treur
    Netherlands
    Specifications: G4-450 powermac OS-10.3 (panther) DVD-burner Pioneer DVR 108-DL
    Quote Quote  
  2. Moving you to the MAC forum

/moderator bugster
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what burning software are you using?
    Roxio Toast is the most common, but there are others.
    please include the version number as well. (ex: 6.0.5)

dk
    Quote Quote  
  4. you need something to convert the files from DV/AVI to MPEG, to then author onto a DVD.

I'm sorry I can't be in depth, as I'm a PC guy when it comes to video, but at least my answer will give you some progress. A Mac person will probably help you out in a little while.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In order for your movie to play on a DVD player it must first be encoded to MPEG 2 and authored as a video DVD. You can read about this by clicking the What is DVD link at the top left of this window.

iDVD will do the encoding and authoring but iDVD 4 and earlier won't work with an external DVD drive. iDVD 5 works with some external drives and allows you to save a disc image which you can burn with Toast to an external drive.

Toast 6 also will encode and author your video DVD and I recommend you get a copy today.
    Quote Quote