VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. They are all mpeg-4. DivX is a brand used to indicate a flavor of mpeg-4 made by a commercial company. XviD is the name of another flavor of mpeg-4 made by an open-source project. There are a lot more which usually use the name "DivX" even if they are not, just because it has became a popular name. They are mostly compatible formats. The future, however, will probably adopt h.264 which is incompatible with all the aboves.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hmm, looks like the eyehome supports "MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4" so the h.264 doesn't work for me at the present. But I will keep that nugget of info in the back of my mind.

So if a device advertises mpeg4 or divx playback it "should" playback all of the variants or is it a shoot and miss type of event? What do you feel is the best choice for going into the future and maintaining long term compatibility? The xvid again?

Dave
    Quote Quote  
  3. Maybe I should ask a different question. Will ffmpegx convert from mpeg4 to xvid and still look good or will I have problems?
    Quote Quote  
  4. There is no real standardization over mpeg-4 players, so you have to test with your player to be sure about what it plays. Generally all these flavors of mpeg-4 should be supported by a mpeg-4 player, unless the manufacturer failed to ensure that. XviD is a very good format and if your device plays it, then go for it without doubts.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Any encoding will imply losing a slight part of quality from the original video, but apart from this philosophical remark, you may convert mpeg4 to xvid and it will still look good.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm doing a conversion now. High quality, two pass, trellis quantization, bicubic spline, and it is running pretty quickly. I will post back as to the quality and if there are any glitches tonight. Now I'm REALLY wishing for a ffmpegx batch feature as I have 110+ episodes of magnum pi to convert!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. You might look here at http://www.xvid.org

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. The conversion seems to have worked pretty well. The video is still sharp and easy to watch. The only problem I encountered was in high motion scenes. There was a bit of jerkiness to it that is not present in the mpeg4 file. So I inspected the file and it was 2/3 the size of the original even though the bitrate was set to the same setting. So I cranked it up to 1300 which ALMOST matched the file size of the original and now the motion seems fine. So this seems like a good solution. Thanks for all the helpl

Dave
    Quote Quote