VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone know of another way to capture video with the ADS InstantDVD for Mac? PixeDV SUCKS!! It has not been supported in the US for a couple of years.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is not other way with this device. What trouble are you having with PixeDV? Several folks here have done a lot of troubleshooting with this application and have made it work satisfactorily. Please describe the settings you're using and the problem(s) you're experiencing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While waiting to hear back from babgolis, I've recently noticed that variable bitrate MPEG2 captures lose sync after editing in MPEG Streampclip 1.1 I'm going to try version 1.2 tonight on last week's episode of Lost. If 1.2 doesnt do the trick, I'm screwed!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm importing video at 6 mbps, constant bitrate, audio 192 kbps. I don't have any digital noise reduction on as I don't know how to use that tool effectively.

I've ripped 2 technical videos without a hitch. The third has some tracking problems. I've tried to import #3 5 or 6 times. When I import #3, it imports half the time, but frames are dropped like crazy & VLC gets pissy: "this file is leaking pictures." Quicktime just plays the audio & the frame rarely updates. The other half of the time I import, pixedv just crashes after 5 minutes & I have to start over.
    "A doctor's job is to find health, anyone can find disease."

-A.T. Still M.D.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tracking problems are related to the video player youre using (try using a different VCR). As for dropped frames, etc, your bitrate may be too high. I've discovered in my PowerBook, which has a 4200rpm drive, I cannot use a variable bitrate higher than 5.5, and constant higher than 5. With an external 7200rpm drive attached, I can capture a constant bitrate 6Mbps without any issues.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recommend lowering the bit rate to a maximum 5.5 and using VBR rather than CBR. When I've had troubles with PixeDV crashing I solve it by deleting and reinstalling the application.

If you're using NTSC there is a newer version of PixeDV hidden in the Help>Tech Support>Version 1 folder. You might give it a try, but definetly do not use 6.0 CBR as your setting.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by babgolis
    I'm importing video at 6 mbps, constant bitrate, audio 192 kbps. I don't have any digital noise reduction on as I don't know how to use that tool effectively.

I've ripped 2 technical videos without a hitch. The third has some tracking problems. I've tried to import #3 5 or 6 times. When I import #3, it imports half the time, but frames are dropped like crazy & VLC gets pissy: "this file is leaking pictures." Quicktime just plays the audio & the frame rarely updates. The other half of the time I import, pixedv just crashes after 5 minutes & I have to start over.
    In my experience, the ADS doesn't do well with videos with tracking issues or any damage. It seems to lose some kind of lock on the video signal. On these occasions, I have resorted to a Formac Studio TVR, which is more forgiving. That doesn't help you, though.
    Go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave. Or check into a psycho ward, whichever comes first, eh?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the suggestions all. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for the PB hardware tip since I'm using a PB Pismo with a 500 mhz G4 upgrade & 5400 rpm HD. I'll see about dropping the bitrate.

Have you all found the VBR to be good quality at 5mbs?

-A.T. Still M.D.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by babgolis
    Have you all found the VBR to be good quality at 5mbs?
    Yes. I've had better results (fewer errors) when using VBR than with using CBR at most any bit rate setting. AntnyMD has more knowledge about adjusting the VBR slider. I generally just leave it at 10% or less.

Another tip about the ADS box (as well as most other capture devices). The errors increase when the box gets hot. Keep good ventilation around the box and give it a break between long captures.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frobozz

Another tip about the ADS box (as well as most other capture devices). The errors increase when the box gets hot. Keep good ventilation around the box and give it a break between long captures.
    hmmm, I don't seem to have any issues like this with my canopus
    ADVC-100. I've done four hour blocks with only 20 to 30 minutes
    in between ( long enough to trim unwanted parts) and save before going
    on....

oops, might also be because I keep a small $10 desk fan running
    on a seperate power strip blowing on it and the back of the g4...!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by terryj
    Originally Posted by Frobozz

hmmm, I don't seem to have any issues like this with my canopus
    ADVC-100. I've done four hour blocks with only 20 to 30 minutes
    in between ( long enough to trim unwanted parts) and save before going
    on....

oops, might also be because I keep a small $10 desk fan running
    on a seperate power strip blowing on it and the back of the g4...!

I've never had heat problems with the ADS Instant USB for Mac, and I've done captures of 12 or more hours many times. I do have a problem with the noise the fan makes, though, which I find intrusive.
    Go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave. Or check into a psycho ward, whichever comes first, eh?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Heat is not the problem, as the problem starts about 1 minute into the video. Plus, I'm in the Bay Area (ie it's cold INSIDE the house).

I've also tried the clip with 3 different VCR's (one a brand new Sony). No luck. The problem starts after a tracking glitch in the source video. Pixedv will continue to produce artifacts & drop images for the rest of the session after said glitch. It works fine if I rewind to just after the glitch and capture.

I'm able to reproduce the error in an another working video by fast forwarding with the picture playing & returning to play mode (it plays fine if I don't mess with it). It seems when the tracking degrades to a certain point, pixedv can't recover, even when a TV is happy with the same video output.

I think I'm gonna give up on this tape for now. I might try copying tape to tape & then capturing from the copy. Not today.

Thanks for all the ideas. You have been really helpful.

-A.T. Still M.D.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or, get a time base corrector. A lot of newer VCR's have one built in.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I feel I should explain my caution about heat. My stupidity was placing the ADS box on my carpet which prevented any air from getting under the box. Trust me, if you heat this thing up the drop outs will increase. My brother mistakenly bought a Hollywood Dazzle unit that he put in the freezer before using because it would start messing up rather quickly. Those Dazzles were real garbage and, in fact, that is where his went.

Canopus and Miglia make excellent capture boxes and heat shouldn't be an issue with them. As for the ADS box, just place it on a hard surface where air can circulate on all sides. Sorry for making it seem that this was a product defect when it was a user's brain defect.
    Quote Quote  
  15. It has been my experience ADS captured mpgs almost always go out of sync if you use them with any other application than Capty DVD; unless you use the 'Export to' function of PixeDV, which will result in an m2v and a AIFF file, the latter which can then be reencoded and remuxed with the m2v file. From then on, audio and video will stay in sync when used with Toast, Sizzle, Mpeg Steamclip etc.

ADS/PixeDV can't handle any glitches in the signal. A solution is to restart the capturing process from the point where it went wrong and joining the different clips afterwards with Mpeg Streamclip.
    Quote Quote  
  16. pbs666 I'll give your suggestions a whirl next week.

Thanks again to all y'all.
    Quote Quote