VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I saw this player for $209.00 online, and I was thinking about getting it. I have an ILO dvdr04 already, and for the most part I'm happy with it. But with the front inputs it leaves a high pitched whine in the background of the recordings, and its only from the front inputs. I'm not talking about the tuner, b/c I never use the tuner. The rear a/v inputs work great on my ILO.
    I was just wondering since LiteOn and ILO have some kind of connection I'm not too sure of, I was wondering if the front a/v inputs on the LVW-5005 had that problem as well? And also how is the cd audio recording, and vcd/svcd recording? The Ilo works great in my experience, so I'm guessing LiteOn would be just as good. How is yours holding up? Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On my 5001 recordings, I hear that whine ONLY on poor MP2 audio decoders. The one in PowerDVD, for example, sucks. Some players are that way too.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. I got in costco is $159.99

it work great - Region free , Macrovision hacked , 3-hour LP recording mode

But the TV turner i'm not sure is working good or not!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tuner may be mono. However, many MANY channels are still mono these days (satellite, cable, broadcast). They are fake stereo. Your DVD player will likely do fake stereo from the mono too.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nice unit for the money, unfortunately it does not capture the closed caption stream which is HUGE for me because my daughter is deaf. For others it might not be a big deal. The built-in tuner is garbage so run it through a VCR or some other tuner to grab your shows.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought mine from CompUsa in January this year and love it! Loaded the 3 Hr LP Hack and Macrovision too. A little green shadowing on some movies but not all. I can live with a little, I'll just adjust the playback color through my Toshiba TV. This unit had a $40.00 rebate which brought the price down to around $179.00

jermo1948
    Quote Quote  
  7. >LiteOn LVW-5005 owners, how is it?

I got one for xmas from Costco, $179. It recorded video pretty well in all speeds. Old 8mm tapes sometimes went into copy-protected mode when I tried to dub them onto the machine.

But the pits for me was when I tried to record tv shows like I did with my old VHS player. The sound was unacceptible. That tuner has got to go and the machine adds a very audible rumble to any recording. Some stations just look poor in comparison to any of three VHS players I hooked up. I thought maybe I had a bad unit.... nope. I took it back, exchanged it and the identical problem occured. It's like the dvd isn't isolated enough from the sound pickup.

So back it went again and I'm still looking for a better choice. Maybe a pioneer except they won't do +r or +rw.

Randy
    Quote Quote  
  8. Costco in Phoenix Arizona is selling them for $159.99. Not a bad buy, considering it burns + and -.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It works well, but I have two things I wish were different:

1) it doesn't encode Dolby Digital audio -- it encodes mpeg audio instead. And since mpeg audio is not an NTSC Standard, I'm always worried that if I record something to dvd, someone else might not be able to hear the audio on their NTSC DVD Player.

2) I wish it had a 90-minute setting (or the ability to use "custom" video bitrates). The reason is it goes from 1-hour to 2-hour (and longer). I wish I had a bitrate inbetween the 1-hour and 2-hour bitrate settings (about 6500kbps).
    George
    Quote Quote  
  10. I love the lvw-5005. I have been capturing video for years with ATI All-in-Wonder cards. I find the 5005 especially convenient for transfering dv tapes to DVD via the firewire where no editing is neccessary.

I have had the opportunity to compare several units. All have had some audio "whine" when recording from the front rca jacks. The rear jacks and the firewire connector record with no audible noise introduced. One unit introduced more noise than the others and was returned.

Despite a few minor quirks this is an amazing machine, especially for $159. I have told my friends to get their butts down to Costco and get one. Good things like this do not last forever.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    fyi, this recorder is available for $99.99 (after rebate) from CompUSA today only until 2:00pm.
    George
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ^yeah I saw that in the paper sunday, and I went down there and picked one up. Anyone else? Well I can't test it out until later tonight, so I'm going to go ahead and post my thoughts on it after I mess around with it for a couple days. Not bad of a deal for $99 after rebates, it was 169.99 before rebates. I'll be comparing it to the ILO dvdr04, which I bet both are very similar anyways.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yeah, I saw the ad at 2:30. Nice to run the ad in the Sunday paper when you don't read it until afternoon. And I thought Presidents Day was on Monday. Anyway, it didn't matter because I already have one that I bought at Costco a month ago.

I like it for what I use it for. I am archiving camcorder tapes. I have been dubbing from Hi8 and Digital 8 using the S-video and audio on the rear input. I dubbed from a VHS tape using the rear composite video, also. I dubbed the VHS movie at the 4 HR mode and it appeared to be the same as what came off the tape.

I have done all other dubs at the 2HR mode and the video quality appears to be the same as what I put into it. I have not done anything with the tuner so I can't comment on that. I have not used the front firewire input yet but I will this week, as soon as I pick up the cable.

I tried a couple printable DVD-R from Frys (GQ brand) at both the 2 and 4 hour mode and had basic coasters. They would not play on my 5 yr old Sony desktop player. I have a Pioneer A05 in my computer and also a ?? DVD-ROM. The ??DVD-ROM would not recognize it and I could not do a look at the files in My Computer. I could see the files on the Pioneer but I could not play from it. I could copy the files to my harddrive and then play it using Cineplayer but not PowerDVD. I can write to those GQ disks on the Pioneer and have no problems with them on any player. But not, evidently, with the Liteon.

I since have used Memorex -R and also Memorex +R. I have burned 5 +R with no problems.....plays on the Sony and both drives in the computer with both Cineplayer and PowerDVD. I also have burned about 15 of the -R with same results. I also tried one TDK -R printable with no problems.

The recording starts as soon as I press Record and appears to stop when I press stop. Same with pressing Pause and releasing Pause. I left the automatic chapter marks at 5 mins. That works fine.

So, my basic report is that I like it and it does what I bought it for. BUT, Media is important. I would buy only a couple of a different media before buying a 100 spindle. Liteon had a recommended media list and I did not find the Fry's GQ brand on the list. Didn't find the Memorex -R on the list either. But, I had them. I bought a box of 5 Memorex +R just to try. The Memorex disks were not printable but that is OK. I don't need to print labels on my archives......just a marker pen would be fine.

The reason I bought the LVW5005 was because it was the only economical unit with firewire input.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gnowr
    I got in costco is $159.99

it work great - Region free , Macrovision hacked , 3-hour LP recording mode

But the TV turner i'm not sure is working good or not!
    How did you get those upgrades, with Mr. Wizards program? There are two firmware upgrades for my 5005 at LiteOns website, one for a system update, and one for a drive update, which one do I hack with the program? And which ones did you install first?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok well I took a chance, and I'll post for others reference, I installed the hacked system update lnfa1098, got the lp mode, and then i installed the official drive update lnfa1000, and the lp mode was still there
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have LVW-5005, bought sometime this year. It's working OK, except for the quality of DVD recorded from my miniDV through fireware connection is bad, and sometimes it crashes after the recording is done.
    Any solutions?
    Thanks in advance!

David
    Quote Quote  
  17. I don't have LiteOn, but.... Try other input than fireware. Compare quality and decide if it is good enough for you.
    Quote Quote