VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Gurm, ive done extacly as you said, ripped in ISO mode, detect mastering errors is turned off, not a problem.

Now, try to open the image with dvd shrink, i get exatly the same error as before

"dvd shrink encountered an error and cannot continue"

"Inlavid dvd navigation structure"

However, i decided to try an alternative transcoder DVD2ONE and it worked fine with DVD2ONE.

So, why does dvd shrink not work and DVD2ONE work. i prefer dvd shrink cos it gives better quality than DVD2ONE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ive found another solution (for Resident Evil 2).

i used titlesetblanker to blank out all the extras and now the dvd is less than 4GB in size, so i can burn it straight to dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Rip using DVD Decrypter, fire up PGCEdit and dump all the crappage out or use the killplayback feature to get around the junk.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Y'know waheed, I'm just fresh out of ideas. It can only be that you have some non-standard DVD Decrypter setting or something like that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Im using defualt settings in DVD Decrypter. besides, the problem is not with Decrypter, that works fine.

Its DVD Shrink thats is the problem. Like ive mentioned, ive used DVD2ONE and have no problems with that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dvdguy4
    Id think that all these people who say they havent had a problem are talking crap.
    No crap. I've backed up RE2 & The Forgotten WITHOUT one problem using the latest versions of DeCrypter & Shrink. Not one problem. I used file mode in DeCrypter (detect mastering errors) & used Shrink to get just the main movie. I've used this same routine with all of my backups & these two didn't behave any differently for me.

Sorry you've had trouble. Maybe uninstalling & reinstalling Shrink may help some of you having trouble with the Shrink errors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry Gurm, but I tell the truth, I had no trouble with AVP and Shrink. Sorry if you don't believe me. HOWEVER,.... I just got a Criterion Collection Nasa documentary, and tried to back it up. Lo and belold at about 46% "cyclic redunduncy error", similar with DVDecryter. I don't subscribe to the "return it as faulty" theory cos I don't really believe brand new dvd can be that faulty. Besides what do I say, "sorry but it plays ok, but I can't rip it ? " There's something else going here and Im open to suggestions. (maybe Nasa have come up with a new copy protection !) I can't figure out why a new dvd will not rip, and it is definately NOT any physical damage. If DVdycrypter is version 3.2.3, and there is an updated version, does anyone know if that will make a difference ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cyflyer
    "cyclic redunduncy error"
    This is more likely a read error.
    Meaning the drive cannot read the disc.
    It has NOTHING AT ALL to do with copy protection.

So why can it play?
    A DVD-ROM is bit for bit, while a DVD player
    will sort of muddle through bad sections.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hiya Lordsmurf. Yes it does play ok on standalone, but the problem is on the rip on the dvd read/writer. Does that count as a faulty disc ?
    So what can I do to rip it ? Shrink don't work, neither does dvdecrypter 3.2.3. Suggestions please as its my best documentary and I really would like to back it up.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    cyflyer,

I find it difficult to believe that you have a magical DVD drive. Either that or you're backing up "main movie only".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ive finally found a way of defeating ARccOS using IFO Edit.

see https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1228105#1228105
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Gurm FWIW- I backed up a bunch of these movies using DVD Decrypter then DVD shrink in reauthor mode before I knew there were even issues. Dumb luck!
    A good divorce beats a bad marriage.
    Now I have two anniversaries I celebrate!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by otpw1
    @Gurm FWIW- I backed up a bunch of these movies using DVD Decrypter then DVD shrink in reauthor mode before I knew there were even issues. Dumb luck!
    Actually older versions of DVD Decrypter had mixed success, and if you kept it up to date, you may not have even noticed a problem ever.

I made several successful backups BEFORE 3.5.2.0 came out. *shrug*
    Quote Quote  
  14. i'm sorry to say folks i also am one of those people that have not had any problems copying any of those movies, well except resident evil 2, which i used vobblanker and it worked fine. the only one i am having problems copying and i don't understand why is - aliens - which is from the quadrology pack - it goes 60 percent of the way then it gives me a copy protected error. is it possible to put a second decrypt on a dvd???
    Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind. So an ancient once said, "Accept the anxieties and difficulties of this life
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gurm,
    yes, it was "main movie only", but isn't that what most backups are about ? Noone is going to complain that they backed up the movie but they couldn't backup the "extras". If there is going to be "protection", it'll be on the main movie part of course.

Still can't figure out how to overcome the error on my new dvd. Any ideas ? WILL the newer version of Decrypter make any difference ? Has anyone tried it vs the older version ? One thing I noticed on my 3.2.3 version is that the 'settings' don't seem to make any difference ie 'ignore read errors' '1x' speed etc, it still reads at normal speed and trips up when it finds an error.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I think Gurm's entirely right as to whom this is intended to discourage. :P

Over at Waheed's ARccOS thread he's already found half a dozen workarounds. I posted one myself. Probably a hundred ways to do it.

Since the problem is in "extras", if worst comes to worst, just rip the VTS_01_0.IFO and associated VOBs in File Mode. (Don't rip anything else). Create VIDEO_TS manager in DVDFab 0.17.1 and open in DVDShrink. Reauthor normally or keep the menu for scene selection. Only thing is you have to manually access the menu, as movie will autoplay.

I'll get worried if DVDDecrypter can't even show the file structure in File Mode. Not before. But of course, DVDDecrypter would get a quick update, no doubt. This is not something to be concerned about.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The protection IS in the extras - sort of. It CAN'T be in the main film, of course. It's in the STRUCTURE OF THE DVD. If you just rip the main movie, everything will be fine except that sometimes you get the "blank area" before the film - where all the extra "warnings" and "ads" would have gone.

We are concerned about more than the main movie here, of course. Otherwise this would be a non-issue!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yes, of course. I keep forgetting some people like menus and extras. I hate 'em personally.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I personally hate extras on DVDs too, but i do like to keep the menu. Ive managed to make a workable backup that starts straight with the menu, and then the main movie. There are no pauses, no "blank area" or any warnings (including copyright warnings) in the backup i made.

If you want to retain the movie, you will have to back up the IFO Edit way, if you want just the movie, than as frtzi93 suggests, use DVD Fab 0.17.1.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Just out of curriosity, what type of system are those who are not having a problem copying the complete dvd, extras and all, running on?

I have a dual P4 2.2GHz system with 2 GB memory. I have not updated any of my software except decrypt, and when I run shrink I have a little bit of a slow down on the ripping, but it gets through the problem area and continues on its merry way. Just wondering if it is a matter of trying to cause the cpu enough lag that it would cause shrink to fail... I haven't really looked into the problem that much because as of yet it has not affected me. I have copied Shaun of the Dead and Friday Night Lights without any change in the way I normally do things, which is file mode and then select everything except the foreign language audio tracks....

Jaamarti...

just currious is all.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just to update on my previous quiery, re decrypter older version versus current version, downloaded the newer version and it ripped my documentary in iso mode, whereas the previous version was getting 'error' ! Yippikae, I'll be damned, it works !
    Quote Quote  
  22. I am having the same problem with little black book. I did copy resident evil with some problems. Usually, I use just dvd shrink with no problems.
    This time I had to use dvd decrypter then shrink ( for resident evil ).
    With little black book nothing has worked for me so far. I'm trying to rip it as an ISO image currently. Hopefully it works
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Uninstall DVD Decrypter completely and reinstall it with default settings. A lot of you seem to be fiddling with the settings a lot, and you shouldn't be for this purpose.
    Quote Quote  
  24. OK, I'm one of those sad people who actually like to keep the extras and usually split to two DVDs with DVDFab. After "succesfully" ripping RE2 (region 2), with the latest DVD Decrypter in file mode, DVDFab 0.17.1 choked after the "identify folder" screen.

I eventually found that running the ripped files through VobBlanker allowed DVDFab to accept them with no problems. The files seemed to lose about 500mb after VobBlanking, no doubt the discarded "structure protection".

As a side issue, my region 2 copy of The Grudge ripped and Fabbed with no problems, DVD Decrypter also gave none of the "pack header" errors I got with RE2, so it looks like the region 2 version is Arcos-free.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From the posts I've read this is gonna sound wierd. I ripped Alien vs Predator to my hard drive with the latest version of dvddecrypter. When I tried to open it with the latest version of dvdshrink it said the same thing "waheed" stated except it was the IFO file that couldn't be found. I checked and the file is in the folder. After a couple attempts with the same results I tried ripping the movie from my dvd burner with dvdshrink. Dvdshrink ripped and compressed with no problems. Wierd
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ripped using DVD decrypter 3.5.2.0 (ripped r2 resident evil apocalypse - in file format get the structure errors, i tried plaing in power DVD, but gave (error code 89030000) unknown file format... tried DVD2one on just movie only, left all chapters in & played fine in power dvd no black chapters. havent tried whole disc yet, but will give it a try too...
    Quote Quote  
  27. I used DVD Decrypter on RE2 , Friday Night Lights, AVP, SAW,etc and then used Dvdshrink on the movies that I wanted with menus and took out all the extras to get better compression . I also used DVD2one.
    Live by these 2 programs. Hate everything else and will never use anything else. ROCK ON and go Red Sox
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there to all. I´m from Greece (Region 2 ,Europe) and i recently rip the Alien Vs. Predator with no problem. I use DVD Shrinck ONLY (and i always has DVD43 resident in memory). I use re-author in DVD Shrink and choose only the Main Movie and the rip is just fine. The Original DVD has a label on it, with some new writing-protection system. I notice that in the disk is 2 versions of the movie, one is normal and the other is extension version. The only difference is that the extension version has 5 more minutes at the beginning. I rip the extension version and it´s OK. 8)
    OLYMPIAKOS F.C. FOR EVER
    Quote Quote  
  29. I was backing up The Incredibles with ANYDVD and DVDSHRINk and my PC locked up. When I reboot Windows XP would not start had to reformat the hard drive. Use AnyDVD wit cloneDVD ripped with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by spiderman2k1
    I was backing up The Incredibles with ANYDVD and DVDSHRINk and my PC locked up. When I reboot Windows XP would not start had to reformat the hard drive.
    Had to reformat the hard drive?

You should learn more about XP and how it works, then you can repair problems without reformatting the HD every time you lose an icon or something...
    Quote Quote