VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    National Lampoon Inc., known for its humor, is mounting a serious challenge to long-held film release practices when "National Lampoon's Blackball" lands in theaters this Friday, followed only four days later by a DVD in retail stores.
    Full story here: http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/09/news/midcaps/national_lampoon.reut/index.htm

I know this will make alot of people happy but somehow I just don't see this as being a profitable decision.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe they know the theater release will flop, but thier dvd rentals have been good
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. I never saw NOEL playing or advertised anywhere around me. I think it's a way to stir up some publicity about a movie that would have otherwise gone straight to video. my 2 cents worth
    Quote Quote  
  4. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you suppose this is an indication that the industry is going to ease its gestapo tactics eventually?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another method of obtaining movies on DVD while still showing in the cinemas (Legally) is to buy them on region 1 if you live in the UK.

The majority of movies showing in the UK cinemas are usually available n Region 1, in some cases, even before they are showing in cinemas.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Indeed. The Crap In The Hat was in Australian theatres nearly 12 months after it was available in American theatres. Or about 6 months after it was on Region 1 DVD. In fact, there has been a scientific rule in force regarding release dates. Namely, the more time it takes a film to be released in Australia after America, the worse it generally is. There is even an exception that proves it in the form of Bad Santa (which was just the antidote to the usual MoneyMas sachaarine garbage that I needed at the time).
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMO, the studios will only do this with films they are dumping or get such bad reviews or buzz that a theatrical release would be a total loss anywayz, so get the DVD out and save something of the investment. So caveat emptor.
    You are in breach of the forum rules and are being banned. Do not post false information.
    /Moderator John Q. Publik
    Quote Quote  
  9. That article is misleading. First of all, the movie was made in 2003 and has been in a couple film festivals since then. It's only a limited US release anyways, and the article says that Vince Vaughn in the main character, when he isn't. In reality, they're just releasing a movie on DVD and in theatres at the same time in the US cuz it's a 2 year old British movie. It's not some ingenius marketing scheme.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sillyfaget
    That article is misleading. First of all, the movie was made in 2003 and has been in a couple film festivals since then. It's only a limited US release anyways, and the article says that Vince Vaughn in the main character, when he isn't. In reality, they're just releasing a movie on DVD and in theatres at the same time in the US cuz it's a 2 year old British movie. It's not some ingenius marketing scheme.

yea -- you are right ...

Opening Weekend
    £376,233 (UK) (7 September 2003) (304 Screens)
    Gross
    £733,179 (UK) (14 September 2003)
    £376,233 (UK) (7 September 2003)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0337879/
    Quote Quote  
  11. OR another way ... become a member of the US academy awards jury?
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote