VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
  1. Why don't I own a Mac you ask? I prefer the PC. It's as simple as that really. I have a few specific reasons why I like my PC better than a Mac.

I used a Mac at work and school for years. I got along fine on the Mac, but I had a few nagging things that just bothered me. The simplest thing seems to be what bothered me the most: the mouse. I had two different mice to work with. One was a hockey puck looking thing, and the other was a slick-looking clear thing.

I completely hated the hockey puck. Damn thing! You have to look at it to orient it straight. You can't go by feel.

And I don't understand why Apple doesn't just put a second button on their mouse... or a scroll wheel. I had to go out and buy a Microsoft USB mouse and download Mac drivers for it to get that simple functionality. Then I had to tell the Mac OS that my right button would substitute for ALT+mouseclick. But some programs used the 'Apple' key or the shift key. And then there was a noticeable delay before the right mouse button took action. So even though The MS mouse was an improvement, it still was not good enough because it was on the Mac.

But really, the biggest reason I prefer the PC is the amount of great quality freeware programs. I can do so many thing with free software that I rarely buy anything. I can dabble in 3D modelling, photo editing, vector illustration, non-linear video editing, CD/DVD authoring and burning, audio editing and multitracking, programming... the list goes on.

Finally, I like to build my own PC. I don't think I can do that with a Mac. Apple sells them as a complete system and that is that. Well, I like to choose my components... including (and especially) the case.

So for me, it is a matter of "feel", the free software, and my preference for building my own PC. I don't hate the Mac. I just prefer the PC. But I don't understand why so many Mac owners so vehemently hate PC owners. Why do you want to start these wars?

Darryl

2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dcsos
    How's that machine working?
    Excellent, both run like clockwork. One is a dual boot system with Bayanihan Linux and Windows XP SP2.

Missing .dll's ?
    Nope

Doesn't Auto-Update anymore?
    It still auto-updates

Just won't recognize new hardware?
    It recognizes new hardware, when I buy them.

I feel your pain !
    No you don't, because I have no pain.

3. Hi All

Just love these mines bigger than yours topics all things have
    advantages or disadvantages so MACS cant be beaten by PC'S
    B******s most test I have seen are designed to help the mac win
    but in a recent tv show here in the UK a mac was put up against
    a PC running the mac favourite Photoshop the PC gubbed it in all
    tests. Also most MAC v PC test are against intel chips not amd 64
    wonder why that is Mac boys. Anyway sometime soon mac graphics
    cards will catch up with PC ones . On the tv prog they dropped
    the pc and mac from a balcony onto the pavement bellow cost to
    fix pc new motherboard + case about £100 MAC £400 just for
    motherboard , pc repair yourselve at home mac back to dealer
    AGAIN.

Rabg

P4 3GHZ 1GIG RAM 256 GEFORCE VIVO GRAPHICS
    ND1100A 4X DVD WRITER 16X SPEED DVD ROM.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have both a G5 and a Mindows machine that I use at work. The G5 is because the scientific software that we use is only available for the Mac platform. I find that I have not noticed anything out of this world diferent between the two for most mundane tasks as well hen we have to perform some heavier editing operations. images, video. On the personal side, I can rip a dvd in about 1/2 the time on my gateway P4 / 3.0 machine than on thet G5 using DVBackup.
    On a non serious point,, you Mac people are really anoying!!!! It's that post hippy, Prius driving, tree hugging, save the rain forest group!!
    No DVD can withstand the power of DVDShrink along with AnyDVD!

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dphirschler
    So for me, it is a matter of "feel", the free software, and my preference for building my own PC. I don't hate the Mac. I just prefer the PC. But I don't understand why so many Mac owners so vehemently hate PC owners.
    Darryl
    I like many Mac owners who have posted own/use both. It has been my experience, that amongst those who use both frequently (several times a week), most people prefer the Mac. Mac users don't hate PC users, we just feel the need to spread the good news. You don't need to put up with popup-ads, viruses, trojans, ad-ware, spy-ware, mal-ware, and the blue screen of death. There is something else, something simple, elegant and uplifting. An OS that lets creativity flow and blossum; its called OSX

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey! I am a MAC lover and not a Tree huggin liberal. I am a right wing conspiracy nut! [/quote]

7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme
    Mac users don't hate PC users, we just feel the need to spread the good news.
    Bull

You don't need to put up with popup-ads, viruses, trojans, ad-ware, spy-ware, mal-ware, and the blue screen of death
    The propaganda machine is in full swing, I see.

I don't deal with blue screens and all that other stuff.

If you know what you are doing, it is no problem.

It is just a computer.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jtoolman2000
    On a non serious point,, you Mac people are really anoying!!!! It's that post hippy, Prius driving, tree hugging, save the rain forest group!!
    You seem very angry. Perhaps you had an unhappy childhood? I recommend you skip your morning coffee and have a cup of some nice herbal tea. While drinking your tea, you should think happy thoughts, like being in a forest with the birds singing and the smell of morning dew permeating the air, as the sun rises. I am sure you will find it very relaxing. or you could think OSX

9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jtoolman2000
    Thank you

I could not agree more.

Search Comp PM
    These comparisons are 3 years old Instead of comparing a P4 to a G4 hows about comparing a P4 to a G5, the results will be different... Think!

11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    These comparisons are 3 years old Instead of comparing a P4 to a G4 hows about comparing a P4 to a G5, the results will be different... Think!
    In numerous reviews, the P4 beats the G5 hands down. An athlon 64 beats the G5.

Apple was also guilty of false advertising when the G5 came out.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bazooka
    I don't deal with blue screens and all that other stuff.
    You can put you head in the sand if you want, but that doesn't change things.

The blue screen of death happens enough that its got is own name.

There is a reason why MS is offering free spy-ware tools, its because windows users are suffering. Apple would do the same if there was any spy-ware on the Mac platform, but there isn't.

I see no one has been able to meet the challenge of finding a virus that is OSX native and in the wild (theoretical and proof-of-concept don't count, only real and immediate threats).

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bazooka
    In numerous reviews, the P4 beats the G5 hands down. An athlon 64 beats the G5.

Apple was also guilty of false advertising when the G5 came out.
    Here is a link that shows the G5 smoking the P4 and Athlon.
    http://barefeats.com/pentium4.html

It's time to put-up or shut-up. Where is your link

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by soundforbjt
    Originally Posted by terryj
    All I can say is this:
    Yes, you pay more for a mac, but you get a heck of a lot more. i've got a pair of Macs ( a 466 and a 533 mhz G4)
    in the shop that are seven years old,
    that run the latest OS ( Panther, 10.37)
    and all it took was doubling the ram, and doubling the
    amount of HD. I can't get a 7 year off the shelf PC
    with a Celeron to run Win XP.

caveat emperor!
    That's funny! I've got a 700mhz celeron w\256mb ram running XP Pro with a NEC 2500A & no problems and never a crash. It's an old HP desktop.

You must be doing something wrong.
    Here's one that came across the desk today..
    .A Blue and Grey ( obviously wal-mart special)
    HP that the client wants upgraded from Win 200ME to win XP Pro.

Well so far after upping the ram from 64mb to 256MB,
    and pulling the old HD and putting in a larger drive
    ( 6Gb to 20Gb) and properly formatting for NTFS
    and running the installer, rebooting, installing service pack,
    reboot, the video card will not go higher than thousands of colors,
    and trying to reset it higher causes Explorer to "end task"
    to the point of rebooting. Of course i know the intgrated video
    is the problem, and I've updated the onboard video driver twice.

All in trying to get this users system 'tweaked" to the point
    so i can install his dvd-burner and make sure the computer will
    be able to handle the addition of a large monitor ( 17" up from 15")
    that the user has also bought.

With a mac, its more simpler, perhaps because of Apple's
    stricter controls, and like someone said, the fact that Apple
    controls everything in their machines to the point that when
    they upgrade the OS, they do so knowing every single part
    and can accurately anticipate things like this.

*shrugs*

15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can put you head in the sand if you want, but that doesn't change things.

The blue screen of death happens enough that its got is own name.
    I never get blue screens of death. You are thinking of the windows 95-98 days.

There is a reason why MS is offering free spy-ware tools, its because windows users are suffering.
    Windows users that still use internet exploder suffer, not all users.

16. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    the PC is only as good as the person at the keyboard 8). Maybe that's why I get no issues with my PC and most things have an easy solution. 99% of problems on a PC are user related self inflicted

give a not so good driver a basic bottom of the range Ford and they can drive it around and probably won't have any issues. Give them a top of the range sports car and they would crash it within a day

bottom line is Mac's are over priced and if the muppets wanna pay extra for limitations then let them. If Mac's were as cheap as PC's then it would just be the reverse situation so what's the big F'ing deal?

17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MackemX
    the PC is only as good as the person at the keyboard 8). Maybe that's why I get no issues with my PC and most things have an easy solution. 99% of problems on a PC are user related self inflicted

give a not so good driver a basic bottom of the range Ford and they can drive it around and probably won't have any issues. Give them a top of the range sports car and they would crash it within a day

bottom line is Mac's are over priced and if the muppets wanna pay extra for limitations then let them. If Mac's were as cheap as PC's then it would just be the reverse situation so what's the big F'ing deal?
    I agree

Search Comp PM

Finally, I like to build my own PC. I don't think I can do that with a Mac. Apple sells them as a complete system and that is that. Well, I like to choose my components... including (and especially) the case.

Darryl
    Just to be fair here. Sure, you can't get a Tiger Electronics catalog for a
    Mac and build it part by part, but to be fair, you can use BTO
    options direct from Apple, or through just about ANY VAR
    online or off.

I've built Macs for people by showing them the Apple Store online
    and walking them through the options there to BTO.
    I have also pointed people to places such as Powermax and Small Dog,
    where you can buy a basic G4 ( say a 450, 466, or 533) and
    configure your video components, ram, PCI ATA Control Cards
    and HDs, buying third party, to get the system you want.

again , just to be fair.

19. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    it's true though ain't it bazooka?. If you had as many people using a Mac as a PC then you would just see 1,000's of people moaning about a Mac being shite. I wonder how many who do have issues with a Mac dare not to moan? Imagine it, they have just paid $1,000's for the system and it won't work. I certainly wouldn't go broadcasting it publicly

who cares who uses what. you use whatever works for you and I'm sure if I had a Mac it would work but the flexibility, convenience and price of a PC pisses all over the Mac. The only appealing thing to me about a Mac is it looks pretty but there's plenty you can do now to make your PC look pretty if that rocks your boat

p.s. how the hell did I even get into this forum?

Search Comp PM
    I wonder how many who do have issues with a Mac dare not to moan?
    I thought that was what public (help me) forums were for?
    :P

Search Comp PM
    I can agree with that. I was a windows systems administrator for many years, the most common problem was "error 18," as it is known in the biz. That is, the cause was 18 inches from the screen.

22. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    yes they are . That's why you see so many people moaning about a PC as they can't take their own self built PC's back to a store probably because it's their own up mess they made. If you buy a Mac as a full system you start giving crap to wherever you bought it instead of moaning on a forum

to make it fair, I dare anyone to try comparing the permutations (if you include every single factor, including the user) you can have with a PC system and compare it to a Mac

23. Member
    Search Comp PM

So true!! Educate yourself on any computer you use and you wont suffer at the hands of all the cliche problems and issues.

24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    it's true though ain't it bazooka?.
    Yes

p.s. how the hell did I even get into this forum?
    It is on the main page.

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Who are all these people on this forum complaining about Macs? Is nothing interesting happening on the PC forums?
    Go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave. Or check into a psycho ward, whichever comes first, eh?

26. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I can agree with that. I was a windows systems administrator for many years, the most common problem was "error 18," as it is known in the biz. That is, the cause was 18 inches from the screen.
    that's what I'm trying to say in a humourous way (shouldn't have really said the muppets bit ). A large percentage of issues with anything (not just PC's) are normally user inflicted. I also think that PC's ain't perfect and Mac's are probably more stable and user friendly. I just can't believe how some people get so uptight about it

if anyone moans about a PC not being stable then maybe it's because you don't know what to do with it if something does go wrong . It doesn't mean that someone like OmegaSupreme or I couldn't come along and fix your issues. It just means you can't fix it and maybe that's why I fix all my family/friends PC's. I'm not qualified in any way, I've just got the ability to learn how to fix things including PC's over the years

an example is that I can do most car maintenance on my car. If something goes wrong with the ECU I don't start crying about it. I get someone to fix it but I also try to absord as much info from the repair process as well. sometimes it's no help but other times it may help me if my family/friend's car have issues. If not I pass it onto my mate who is a mechanic. strangely enough he's a genius at car mechanics but hasn't a clue with PC's but he does learn once I show him

it's the same with everything for me I guess, I'm just someone who loves to fix things or discover how they work. As a kid, instead of playing with toys, if I could I would take them apart to see how they worked and then try to put them back together. The amount of things I've broken then fixed is endless

on the other hand some people may not want to learn, haven't got the time to learn or can't learn regardless

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow!

28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And I don't understand why Apple doesn't just put a second button on their mouse... or a scroll wheel.
    There are very good reasons for that, actually.

I had to go out and buy a Microsoft USB mouse and download Mac drivers for it to get that simple functionality.
    OS X shouldn't need drivers for that stuff. My MS Bluetooth mouse doesn't have drivers and it works fine, every button. Are you talking about OS 9?

Then I had to tell the Mac OS that my right button would substitute for ALT+mouseclick. But some programs used the 'Apple' key or the shift key.
    Actually, its control click. Always has been, on every program. However, right clicking your mouse is not just substituting a control click, it's actually a different thing. Thats why right click works in UT2K4 but control click doesn't.

And then there was a noticeable delay before the right mouse button took action. So even though The MS mouse was an improvement, it still was not good enough because it was on the Mac.
    I've never seen anything like that. I think you were just unlucky.

Yeah, thats one of the biggest reasons to get a PC. And it is a good one.

But I don't understand why so many Mac owners so vehemently hate PC owners.
    It's mostly because there are a large number of Windows people that express their dislike of Macintosh computers by using arguments that dead bugs are qualified to write.

Interestingly, if you switch the words "Windows" and "Macintosh" you also get a true statement. I guess there are idiots on both sides of the fence.

Point is, most Mac users have little tolerance for someone who uses the tired false arguments against Mac computers, probably the way you would have little tolerance for someone who describes a Windows computer as "an ugly beige box with a blue screen".
    If it isn't broken, take it apart and find out why.
    blog: deadsierra

29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadsierra
    [
    Point is, most Mac users have little tolerance for someone who uses the tired false arguments against Mac computers
    They are not false but who cares.

It is just a computer.

People are trying to compare a Toyota to a Lamborghini.

The Lamborghini, while overpriced, will do the same things a Toyota would do.