VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello

don' know if Apples "Grab" utility questions can be addressed here but thought Id try.

in a flash of mistaken brillance, I decided to take a screenshot of various DVD's of mine, some made my me from my own VCR tapes

then Id fiddle with them and makemyself a database of stuff I have.

but Grab as many of you know and I now discovered does not work with DVDplayer open. Apple is being cautious re copyrighted material I guess. thats fine.

Soooo, is there another app freeware/shareware/$$ware that can do this? a way aroung Apples disbleing Grab for DVD.

this is for my own private use etc

thanks rotut
    Quote Quote  
  2. Wow!
    to answer my own question, Ive heard from MacNN that VLC player works. v0.7.1a works in "selection", but "window" ends up with a black picture.

am downloading v0.8.1 and will report back later today. hope this is fine with this forum's rules.

it seems like a usefull think to know about for keeping track of things. Moderators please let me know if this is out of line with this forum.

thanks rotut
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Capture 2.5 seems to be made for just that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So was Capture Me, as discussed here:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=897487

forum search is a wonderful thing.....
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by rotuts
    hello
    some made my me from my own VCR tapes

Soooo, is there another app freeware/shareware/$$ware that can do this? a way aroung Apples disbleing Grab for DVD.

this is for my own private use etc

thanks rotut
    If your capturing from a VHS tape you have the dv file already...just open it in quicktime and export the frame as a pict
    Quote Quote  
  6. I find that Yade is perfect for saving snaps.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I also use YADEX. You simply save>preview or command-s.

It does not unsqueeze anamorphic discs, but if you have photoshop you can set up an action to do it. It gives the best image quality I have found. Much better than a screen capture with VLC.

BTW, the YADEX interface is not exactly intuitive, and it only lets you capture stills in 0.5 second increments, but the image quality is why I use it
    Quote Quote