VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A little bird told me when making a backup of your DVDs with say DVDBackup or MTR that a copy(fingerprint) is engrained on the copied DVD. Is this actually true or is it nonsense ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. This can be avoided by wearing a tin-foil hat.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ROFLMAO!!! Oh man, best tip EVAR. I think this rumor got started because DVDXCopy does something similar on the PC... Either that, or because MTR leaves behind traces of the DVDs you've backed up on your HD due to libdvdcss (there will be an option to remove those in 2.7).
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    or because MTR leaves behind traces of the DVDs you've backed up on your HD due to libdvdcss (there will be an option to remove those in 2.7).
    What is the name of that invisible file? I can't find that thread from a while ago.

TIA

MD
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a utility program around called KillTheRipper. I personally don't use it but it should do the job.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24766

Cheers,

JoachimS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The folder is called .dvdcss, and is located in the user's home directory. It's invisible, as the name starts with a period.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  7. In the finder you can Use the Go>Go To Folder menu command and type in /users/yourusername/.dvdcss and it will open up the folder for you (where yourusername is your user name) You can then trash the folders found inside. Not sure why you should bother, but privacy freaks might want to school me.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This Kill The Ripper, WTF... does it work?? Is it safe? Do you use the regular MTR and then KTR? lol
    *New Mac user*, been PC user 4 life
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pixeljammedia: Or, open Terminal and type (carefully): rm -rf ~/.dvdcss, as you probably know. I agree with you -- why bother? Surely there are more interesting files on a security-compromised system, especially if it belongs to a criminal.

Regal: Find out more about KillTheRipper on the VersionTracker product page (via JoachimS's link), MacUpdate, et.al.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MTR 2.7 will also have an option in the prefs to delete that folder upon quitting.
    Quote Quote