VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i want to start a business on the side video taping weddings.

i have windows movie maker that came with my computer.

I just got into the mini-dv. I love it!!!!

But i'm not quite sure on what software to buy. does it have to be 2 of them??
    one for editing and one for creating a dvd??

I'm looking for something that is close to the top of the line but not quite there. something Semi-Pro.

thanks in advance.
    indie b-cause of the freedom
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are many, and everybody has a favorite.

Vegas is pretty affordable, and there are many plugins and scripts for it. It is quite stable as well.

Check that one out for starters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Much to learn, you have.
    It's not a simple matter of software. There are more skills involved.

Realtime hardware would also be suggested.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At the risk of sounding rude, just how much experience do you have in the video production business? Since you are obviously asking us for our oppinion, I would at least gather that you are new to the "Digital" aspect of video. If that is true, then welcome to a fascinating world. If you are a just a Sunday shooter, then as LordSmurf said,, you have a lot to learn.

As LS said, software is not everything. If you were an accomplished shooter and editor, in the analog world, then you will slide right into the digital aspect of it w/o any trouble. Many of the terms that you would have learned in analog the work environment are also used in digital. Just like with Adobe Photoshop. People seem to think that if you have PS you will be producing masterpieces just because of PS. It is ALL you. Not the software. It would certainly help had you had been a profesional or serious amateur before delving into this world.

As was mentioned, Vegas is great. About $400-$500 to start. I think it can be gotten along with its sister tool, "Architect" which is the authoring app.

There are many others. Do some checking on the tools sections. It's all there.

One thing I always reccomend is to at least stick with one make or name. If you choose Adobe Premiere to edit, then use Adobe Encore to author. Compatability between tools is paramount. I read soooo many posts about this or that prog that will not accept this or that file. Then they complain about it! Makes me pull out the last two hairs on my head!! When you render out in Vegas, you can be assured that Architect will love it! Same goes for Adobe Apps.

Hope this helped.
    No DVD can withstand the power of DVDShrink along with AnyDVD!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First thing I would do it get rid of Windows Movie Maker.

There are several apps that are up to the task. I am an Adobe lover myself, I use Photoshop, Premiere, and After Effects. I just haven't gotten around to Encore yet as I've heard negative reviews on the product, so I author with TMPGenc DVD Author.

For me shooting the video is the most difficult, so I have teamed up with a guy who is a videographer, he shoots it, I edit and produce it. I am getting better at shooting, and he is getting better at editing, eventually we will both be able to do all aspects and we'll be able to do twice the work.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah like you guys said i'm just starting to use my camcorder for b-day parties and any special occasions. and the software came with the computer.

the business is just someting in the future.

i want a good starting point. i plan on taking some classes at the local community college. plus it gives me a good idea of what i'm looking at moneywise.

thanks for the advice.
    indie b-cause of the freedom
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First you will need a good job to support your new venture. Secondly you will need lots of time, spare time that is, when you aren't working. Forget about a second hobby, this will take up all your time learning. And finally many hours reading and many hours learning to use the software you will purchase. My last wedding I did took 32 hours to finish, that didn't include the 8 hours spent at the practice, before the wedding , during the wedding, after the wedding and then oh finally the reception. Each ad on had it's own price. It is however amazing what some people will spend for a Studio Finished product. Pictures range in the $1,200.00 dollar range while a produced and polished DVD package can bring in $2,500.00. The good thing is the added income let's you step up in equipment. Professional CCD camera, broadcast quality and some high tech software and gadgets like special purpose editing keyboards and Shuttle Pads. So good luck, start taking those baby steps and you can get there. You control your future! Oh, and when you have to tote your camera around on your shoulder and someone asks what TV station you are with, then it's time to quit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ofilms
    yeah like you guys said i'm just starting to use my camcorder for b-day parties and any special occasions. and the software came with the computer.

the business is just someting in the future.

i want a good starting point. i plan on taking some classes at the local community college. plus it gives me a good idea of what i'm looking at moneywise.

thanks for the advice.
    I think, IMO, you have to learn to crawl before you can run.

Starting with Windows Movie maker is better than starting with Avid. Play around with the settings and get a creative feel.

Being creative will win you repeat customers time after time.

Some key components you will need -

Good Hardware based card, something along the lines of a Canopus real time DV card, Matrox, or Pinnacle Edition serious.

Good editing software - as stated above, Vegas is an excellant choice, and easy to learn/use.

Good Authoring software. Doesn't do you any good to spend days on a project, only to find out your software is non-compliant. Stick with the big names here. Something like Ulead DVD Workshop, Sony DVD Architect, the more expensive Sonic Solutions software.

If you want to go the adobe route (Premiere, Photoshop, Encore) there is a very cost effective bundle when you purchase a Matrox card. Look at as buying the Matrox RT card, and getting free software

Canopus also has bundles with Vegas included.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Ofilms
    plus it gives me a good idea of what i'm looking at moneywise.
    To do it right, the minimum IMO:

1. You need at the very least 2 good cams 2x$2000 +. Why two? First different angles make a huge difference in the feel of how a video looks and more importantly for something such as wedding you need two in case of malfunctions, tape runs out in the middle of an important event, cam just breaks...etc.

2. Cam accessories: Tripods, cases, batteries, mics (preferably cordless for a wedding) that's another $1000 + minimum.

3. Software, you need good software to put all this video together with maybe some still images and other things. Movie destroyer isn't going to even come close to cutting it. Bare minimum you can get Ulead Video Quartet for about $600. That suite includes everthing you need to get you off the ground.

As mentioned above you also need experience, probably the most important thing. After that there's the creative factor and that's something that can't be bought nor learned.

Anyhow Good Luck! BTW I almost forgot the most important thing you need.... A RW, I think I just about wore my burner out testing stuff.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!