VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by funkguy4
    psh why WD raptors when u could have seagates?
    Raptors are 10kRPM, and significantly faster than any 7200RPM Seagate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ShaneJensen
    Well, don't know if anyone will care, but thought I'd share anyway. I've come to a decision and just ordered a Seagate 160GB internal to have for now. I plan to get a second hard drive in an external case to use for extra temporary storage for current video projects and for converting and rendering, but I will only do capturing on the internal. The Seagate 300GB will be in the external case when I get it, probably in a few months or so. May or may not be the best of the best, but it's going to be better than what I had going the first time around.

I wouldn't have come to this type of conclusion without all of your ideas and suggestions. Thanks again for all your help, it's really greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll be back in the coming weeks or months with more questions or concerns.
    Capturing (Transfering) to an external drive is not much of a problem IF you have different controllers for each end (one controller taking in DV from camcorder, and the hard drive on the other).

I have used DVIO and captured (transfered) from a Panasonic GS120 -> Firewire on SB Audigy 2 card -> Firewire out from one of the ports on my Abit NFS-7 v2.0 -> external hard drive.

I believe it is the editing that should be done on an internal drive (one seperate from the Windows/boot disk).

Of course, anyone feel free to slap me, throw sharp objects, and correct me if I am wrong... but please, no flames.
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    In order of importance;

Laceywest,

Could be a good idea, BUT...

You have a warranty of 1 to 3 or even, for the new Seagates, 5 years from Date of Purchase. Scan your original receipt and save it to disk or somewhere you can't lose it.

If you bought that drive even after the markings on the drive, whether "Mfd. 2/03/2004", or "Warranty ends 2/03/2005", and have such a receipt, it will be honored, if the date of purchase and the intervening time is less than the lfe of the warranty, 1 or 3 or 5 years.

By the same token, should Shane decide he really does not wish to be bothered, he can send me the drive, sans receipt, and simply by the serial number, if it is still within the year or 3 or 5, the company would honor the warranty, and a replacement would be shipped.

Or go to a business that junks their failed drives and hunt for a drive with a still valid warranty date. Same thing. You get a new one with warranty till the original expiration date or 30 days, whichever is longer.

I think Max says they may repkace with a refurb, but if that also fails, that one will be replaced wit guaranteed new.

Dave,

My computers probably crash MORE than yours do. But I play with mine a lot. I swap drives all the time. This one I have 640 gigs in, 4 drives, no corruption AT THIS TIME, but tommorrow, no guarantee.

And, no, I don't believe you back up your 320 GB of stuff . The 5 or 10 gigs of OS related stuff, sure, but you aren't backing up 320 gigs, unless you are saying most of it is DVD backups that are already burnt to disk, and you just haven't wiped the files from the drives.

Oh, and I should not have badmouthed your computer. t hasn't said anything silly, it only sends what you tell it to.

Matty,

Go back to the links in the post above and read the results of their tests. You are NOT going to get the results you THINK you are. They ran the benchmarks. Can you understand that? They saw neglible increases in operation, most within a margin of error.

You risk losing 2 disks full of data if 1 of the RAID 0 drives fail. For NO perceptible increase in throughput.

Shane,

The only reason my posts come across, to you, as critical, is because most of the ones I post to are the ones with silly stuff in them, such as most of yours in this thread.

I'm gonna throw it in the rubbish.

Oh, you mean I can RMA it? But I didn't register it.

No, you can't have it I am going to RMA it.

I need experience with other brands.

I am trying to find a concensus on what is the best, as if more people say "Mine is best", that is the brand I will go with.

You're bending with a slight breeze. No one here can say what will last longer. They ALL fail, so if more people bought DELLs, who might use 1 brand, because it was a buck per cheaper, more failures would arise in that brand. Ipso facto, that brand is junk.

Check to see who makes more drives, and who has more rejects. If the reject/broke rate is higher for 1 brand than another, OK, it just might be a better drive. But if they all, save Seagate, since they are trying to get back into the business, have approximately the same rate of defects, why would you go by word of mouth?

The only praise you have heard here is a few who kiss up to those considered "experts".

The hell with me, listen to guys like edV, he has some experience, showed you a few sites to go to, study the sites (anandtech, tom's hardware, a few others should already be in your bookmarks, generally no bullshit sites, unlike this site, strictly our own prejudices. Not mine, as I buy what's on sale. Never pay top dollar.

Jester,

You're not listening, nor going to the links edV posted above. Go there and see the throughput in their base tests. The Raptors were a couple percentage points faster than the WD and Max and Seagate drives.

73 gig SCSIs start at like 80 bucks to 180 SCSIs for 230 bucks.

I buy 160 WD at Sam's for 80 bucks, 250 WD for 130 bucks, last week anyhow, maybe less, now. Add a decent SCSI controller, 500 for 360 gig, or 500 for 180 gig mirrored. Penny smart and pound foolish. And the higher rotational speed might just get you to new drive city sooner.

And, I would almost bet you that you are getting the same drive, possibly with a different motor, and definitely with a different controller, in a SCSI as an ATA drive.

Ah, well, take it for what it's worth, I spend my bucks wisely (as wisely as you can with computers, which are a stupid expense), you spend your bucks as you will the cry that you spent 2 cents too much per disk on that last stack of DVDs.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Rich,

THAT boring?

Oh, well, mebbe you learned something before you nodded off.

I know you younkers need your sleep.

Have a grandkid living with me and he'll nod off at intervals, too.

Don't feel bad.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, well this thread isn't dead or locked yet!!!!
    I hate to burst your bubble Shanejansen but are you sure that Seagate you've purchased has a 5 year warranty? I ask because I've noticed at COMPUSA the Seagates that have a 5 year warranty are only the SATA drives. The rest of the ATA internal drives have only 1 year warranties. Just thought I'd let you know. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Budz,

No, they are 5 year. I bought a Seagate 200 gig, only because of the price after rebate, but it had a sticker outside the shrinkwrap, as though they changed to a 5 year after they hit the shelves.

And it is an ATA drive. I don't have SATA, nor do I intend to, what 3 or 4 MB/S we need 150 MB/s, for video? Tell 'em to get real.

And,you know what is really annoying?

It's the yo-yos who have learned how to "quote" an entire post. Mine was long, admitted.

It's near twice as long as a quoted post. You look for a rebut at the end of that long crap, and what do you get?

A guy sleeping, or a rasberry.

I guess that is one way to say "I give up."
    Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gmatov
    In order of importance;

Dave,

My computers probably crash MORE than yours do. But I play with mine a lot. I swap drives all the time. This one I have 640 gigs in, 4 drives, no corruption AT THIS TIME, but tommorrow, no guarantee.

And, no, I don't believe you back up your 320 GB of stuff . The 5 or 10 gigs of OS related stuff, sure, but you aren't backing up 320 gigs, unless you are saying most of it is DVD backups that are already burnt to disk, and you just haven't wiped the files from the drives.

Oh, and I should not have badmouthed your computer. t hasn't said anything silly, it only sends what you tell it to.

George
    ok, you say you aren't badmouthing me, but there you go again saying i don't back up my drives--BULLSH^&!! i also have a 200 gig IDE Seagate that gets backed up ONCE PER WEEK---almost 150 gigs worth.

This thread needs to be locked as it is no longer useful.

Dave
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm not going to lock it yet, but everyone keep civil.

This is a general warning.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

And, I would almost bet you that you are getting the same drive, possibly with a different motor, and definitely with a different controller, in a SCSI as an ATA drive.

George
    Do not even think of compairing SCSI and ATA devices. SCSI are in a whole different class (ment for heavy access/server/workstations). They use completely different circuitry, reach RPMs of +15k, and are built with far stricter standards needed for enterprise/mission critical/multi-tasking use. This is one reason for the price difference.

Unlike ATA/SATA, SCSI can be chained, accesses is controlled by the built in controllers greatly reducing CPU load (under heavy access conditions).

I am not trying to flame you, but rather point out that SCSI is ment for a completely different market than ATA/SATA. It is like compairing rocket fuel to gasoline. Different substance, different purpose.

In addition, the #1 killer of new hard drives is heat. Many of these new large capacity drives get HOT, and (in my opinion) require active cooling. Either in the form of a drive bay cooler, or a case intake fan.
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hope everyone can appreciate the humor here!
    My + seagate is better than your - WD....!
    FWIW Anything made by the hand of Man will eventually fail! As said before, some of it is dumb luck.
    A good divorce beats a bad marriage.
    Now I have two anniversaries I celebrate!
    Quote Quote  
  11. i just captured some DV w/ 0 frames dropped over firewire thru premier and i'm using some old school maxtor 7200rpm ide drive. this thing's like old. few year. 0 drops. you don't need much to capture after all
    My AVI -> Any Format Guide is available here.
    My Frame Resize Calculator (enhanced for Virtualdub) is available here
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by gmatov
    In order of importance;
    Shane,

The only reason my posts come across, to you, as critical, is because most of the ones I post to are the ones with silly stuff in them, such as most of yours in this thread.

I'm gonna throw it in the rubbish.

Oh, you mean I can RMA it? But I didn't register it.

No, you can't have it I am going to RMA it.

I need experience with other brands.

I am trying to find a concensus on what is the best, as if more people say "Mine is best", that is the brand I will go with.

You're bending with a slight breeze. No one here can say what will last longer. They ALL fail, so if more people bought DELLs, who might use 1 brand, because it was a buck per cheaper, more failures would arise in that brand. Ipso facto, that brand is junk.

Check to see who makes more drives, and who has more rejects. If the reject/broke rate is higher for 1 brand than another, OK, it just might be a better drive. But if they all, save Seagate, since they are trying to get back into the business, have approximately the same rate of defects, why would you go by word of mouth?

The only praise you have heard here is a few who kiss up to those considered "experts".

The hell with me, listen to guys like edV, he has some experience, showed you a few sites to go to, study the sites (anandtech, tom's hardware, a few others should already be in your bookmarks, generally no bullshit sites, unlike this site, strictly our own prejudices. Not mine, as I buy what's on sale. Never pay top dollar.
    Again I say, eccentric.

I'm not bending for anything with a slight breeze, George. I'm just feeling everything out before I make a final decision. You seem to be full of misconceptions on how other people do things. I don't operate like you do, deal with it and quit being so freakin eccentric.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So ShaneJensen did you get your dead hd RMA by MAXTOR yet? Just curious since you haven't mentioned it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Not yet, but I will.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As to the Smurf, to toss away a hundred and a half or so of drive, because "So many have broken", is silly.
    I don't have time to beta test hardware for Maxtor.

Especially if I lose data (even if it's 1 JPEG from the 2 seconds before the crash). After all, NOBODY has 100% of all data backed up at all times. My last crash was only a <1% loss, with 99%+ being backed up.

What is "silly" is to continue to give chances to a proven failure.
    The old say "fool me once, shame on you .. fool me twice, shame on me!"
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote