VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a bunch of videos of my son ready to burn to DVD. I've used iMovie 4 to edit the footage, and saved it as full quality dv. I have some 4.7 gig blank Imation dvds and a TDK external firewire burner. When I drag and drop the videos onto Toast 6, it shows that I have about 3.5 gigs of information. When I try to burn it, I get an error message that says there is not enough space on the disk and I need to get rid of 2.5 gigs of information to have enough space. What am I doing wrong?

I also wondered... I tried saving the videos as mpeg4's with Quicktime Pro. They took up a LOT less space that the full dv. files (duh) Would I lose a lot of quality if I compressed them to mpeg4 and then dropped them on Toast?

thanks
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
  2. Upgrading your Toast to the latest version 6.0.7 might help. If you are already using 6.0.7, Popcorn (not free) is the way to go.
    Don't know much about mpeg 4.

Originally Posted by ansberry
    I have a bunch of videos of my son ready to burn to DVD. I've used iMovie 4 to edit the footage, and saved it as full quality dv. I have some 4.7 gig blank Imation dvds and a TDK external firewire burner. When I drag and drop the videos onto Toast 6, it shows that I have about 3.5 gigs of information. When I try to burn it, I get an error message that says there is not enough space on the disk and I need to get rid of 2.5 gigs of information to have enough space. What am I doing wrong?

I also wondered... I tried saving the videos as mpeg4's with Quicktime Pro. They took up a LOT less space that the full dv. files (duh) Would I lose a lot of quality if I compressed them to mpeg4 and then dropped them on Toast?

thanks
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That wouldn't help, because Toast would convert both the DV and mp4 to mpeg-2 for DVD video, with about the same (high) bitrate, resulting in ± 7 GB. Thus, for encoding with Toast, the most important characteristic is the number of minutes of video.
    Maybe a different encoder with more bitrate control, e.g. ffmpegX, would suit your needs better. Not quite as easy as the Toast route, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That would result in the same video, but with crappier results. No matter what it's going to be convert to mpeg-2. Thus your convert it to mpeg4 before converting to mpeg-2 is really going to affect the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. toast is telling me that the videos that I want to burn take up an hour and 24 minutes. The DVD is supposed to be 2 hours, right? But it still tells me that there isn't enough space to burn it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm using DVD-R disks. That wouldn't make any difference, would it?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That Toast error message is confusing. When Toast says there isn't enough room on the disk it is referring to the space available on the hard drive where the Roxio Converted Items folder is located. Use Toast Preferences to relocate the folder to a hard drive that has more space available, or otherwise free up space on your hard drive.

Toast uses "disk" to refer to the hard drive and "disc" to refer to the DVD or CD media.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks, Frobozz, that helped. The drive I have the iMovie installed on was indeed too small. On my old machine, OSX has to be installed on an 8gig partion at the beginning of the drive. Once you put Office and a few other things on it, there is no room. I transfered the data to my school laptop and the encoding worked.

Then I hit a snag. I am using Toast 6.0.3. I have the buffer underrun protection turned on. I was burning it at 1X. But when it tried to write the lead-out, it had a buffer underrun anyway. I'm using a firewire TDK 840 burner. How can I solve this problem?

I feel like I'm getting close to being able to do this. Maybe just this last problem and I'll be home.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since it happened during the lead-out you might try playing the DVD (all the way to the end). It may be fine.

The update to 6.0.7 is free at Roxio's site, so I suggest updating. Another easy thing to try is a different brand of media.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I didn't want to start a new thread on this since we're already talaking about Taost, but I'm having a great deal of problems burning a DVD as of late.

Both Toast and iDVD just quit, no matter what. I've had the problem before with iDVD, and use Toast more than anything, but now Toast 6 went to shit and will quit each and every time I try and burn a DVD.

It usually quits 1/4th of the way through the encoding process. Soemtimes it even quits on me while I'm looking though the video to choose a button for the main DVD menu.

Anyone have any idea what's up? Because I'm TOTALLY lost.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Lord Kaizen Gamora
    I didn't want to start a new thread on this since we're already talaking about Taost, but I'm having a great deal of problems burning a DVD as of late.

Both Toast and iDVD just quit, no matter what. I've had the problem before with iDVD, and use Toast more than anything, but now Toast 6 went to shit and will quit each and every time I try and burn a DVD.

It usually quits 1/4th of the way through the encoding process. Soemtimes it even quits on me while I'm looking though the video to choose a button for the main DVD menu.

Anyone have any idea what's up? Because I'm TOTALLY lost.
    First things first, what Mac do you have and are u using a superdrive or an external burner, what operating system do you have and what version of toast 6 is crashing on you - is it crashing on all your video files or the same one - do you have sufficient disk space and have you tried re-installing toast?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks for all the help that I received from this list. I was able to burn the DVD successfully the other night. I upgraded to Toast 6.0.7 from the Toast website. I used my new iBook to do the work. I am anxious to try it on my old 9600 tower again. Last time it was really slow at encoding. That is of course in part due to the 60 mhz buss. But I think it had a lot to do with the fact that the hard drive I was using barely had enough space for the temp items. Maybe if I clear it out it will move a little faster.

Mike
    Quote Quote