VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm having my first experience with DV trasnfers . I'm using WinDV.

I'm not having problems dropping frames during normal captures, but everytime the camcorder hits a blank space on the tape, just between this cuts, i got lot of dropped frames.

i want to know if this is affecting my audio & video SYNC, when the camcorder reach the next TAKE.

:P
    Quote Quote  
  2. since its a data transfer, and there's nothing TO transfer at a blank point, it makes sense. i dont know if it affects your sync, you should be able to check.
    Quote Quote  
  3. some guys here, say: "i did a 2hours capture with 0 frames drop"

are you telling me, that their tapes are perfect, with not blank spaces at all ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always transfer a full tapes worth at a time and never drop any frames. But I never have blank spaces in my tape. You can only get blank spaces if you stop recording, rewind, play back and then leave a gap before recording more. Why would you want to do this? Record everything, you're going to be editing the rubbish out later so it's better to have too much than miss the vital moment. If you do need to check what you've already shot, don't leave a gap in the tape make the new footage overlap the end of the previous bit.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you time log your tape before shooting anything??
    No DVD can withstand the power of DVDShrink along with AnyDVD!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Time code break" The computer cannot capture across a timecode break. It also can't roll across a timecode break without getting confused, so if there are timecode breaks anywhere in your tape, there could be problems during capture. If your timecode breaks are between shots, capture one clip at a time and manually advance to the beginning of each shot.

You should always use your camcorder's "End Search" feature to find the end of a recorded section before starting a new recording session.
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have never experienced this problem with Scenalyzer. You could give it a try. I do not time log my tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's a nice little tool by Imagine Products called TCDetective Pro which will scan your tapes for Timecode breaks. See:-

http://www.imagineproducts.com/tcdetective.htm

Cost is $99 I believe.

They did put out a freeware version a while ago which is no longer available on their website, but you can download it from the link below. The license on the freeware version allowed distribution, so this is still legal.

http://www.aracnet.com/~pmaugust/TimeCodeDetective_setup.zip
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Safesurfer
    "Time code break" The computer cannot capture across a timecode break. It also can't roll across a timecode break without getting confused, so if there are timecode breaks anywhere in your tape, there could be problems during capture. If your timecode breaks are between shots, capture one clip at a time and manually advance to the beginning of each shot.
    Yep, I had the same trouble.... my GF tends to want to backup the tape to see what she just shot leaving a gap between the footage. Never had any issue with it except the dropped frames being reported.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The main reason of blank spaces in tapes, is because of the obvius tapes changing.

sometimes your are on vacations and you can't predict how much time you're going to record. SO, you decide to change the tape for a new one. Right ?

Well... when you decide to use the remaning spaces in your other tapes, you never leave the timecode at the last frame. I'm always afraid to delete important pictures and leave the tape run a little bit.

my english su#s , anyway..... i think you understand what i mean.

I'm worried about any SYNC issue in the future if i leave the PC capturing the rest of the tape after the "dropped frames" report.

i mean, the capture, report dropped frames in blank spaces, but i still don't know if when the capture reach the next take is capturing it out of sync.

it's impossible for me to check. Come on, i don't have any music videos or people singing in my tapes, to check the lipsync .
    Quote Quote  
  11. There's a nice little tool by Imagine Products called TCDetective Pro which will scan your tapes for Timecode breaks. See:-
    after the "Timecode Break Analysis", what should i do ?

keep my eyes close to the viewfinder to be able to stop the capture at the right time ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LordVader
    There's a nice little tool by Imagine Products called TCDetective Pro which will scan your tapes for Timecode breaks. See:-
    after the "Timecode Break Analysis", what should i do ?

keep my eyes close to the viewfinder to be able to stop the capture at the right time ?
    You could if you wanted

I'd use this info for batch capturing though, which unfortunately I don't think you can do with WinDV. You might want to use a capture program that supports batch capturing - most good NLEs will be able to batch capture.
    Quote Quote