VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Now my next question,

A few weeks ago the little HDD icon for C Drive in My computer has changed to a little icon of a page with one corner turned down. The page has little icons on it.
    The 5 other partitions, across 2 drives, in My Computer still show the correct icon.
    If I hit refresh fast enough I can sometimes see the proper icon but it quickly changes.

The Repair Icons option in TweakUI didn't fix it.

Any ideas on what's happened or how to fix it?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have you recently installed any kind of disk maintanence tools on the system? Only thing I can think of would be a program monitoring the drive for some reason and changing the icon to it's own custom icon. Might have nothing to do with that at all though. Not something I've seen happen myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No maintainence tools have been added. The icon is more of an "unknown icon" icon
    Quote Quote  
  4. Maybe you can run the check-disk or scan-disk for C.

.......or maybe....

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&th=85b5ca366d8f2100&seekm=eBB1rZJqEHA.3068....gbl&frame=off

Karen
    Quote Quote  
  5. Download PowerToys for XP ...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Download and install the TweakUI program. Run the Repair Icons applet.

Should fix it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by scottb721
    Repair Icons option in TweakUI didn't fix it.

Any ideas on what's happened or how to fix it?

thanks
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  

7. OK ...

Don't really know what is going on.

Check this article out on how to increase Windows Icon cache, bump it up and give it a try. I had a problem with App icons not showing up other than generic and this fixed it for me.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270-5164407.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe the icon is set for something else in the registry. I don't know if possible in Windows XP, but it can happen with Windows 98.

Open REGEDIT. Look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/explorer/Shell Icons

If there a key for C in there, delete it. This should return it to the default icon (the harddisk icon)

I not sure if this works in XP, I know it does in Windows 98 but XP is very different dont think it is the same but it could be worth the look.

WARNING!
    Be very careful when editing the Windows Registry. It contains important information required to operate your computer and your programs. If you make a mistake while editing the Registry, you may find that Windows or other programs do not work well or at all. Always back up the Windows Registry before modifying it.
    Quote Quote