VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to purchase a Video editing computer for the company I work for. We do a light amount of corporate video work that we'll use this machine to edit for. We have approximatley a $7,000 budget for hardware & software. We're leaning more towards a PC platform than MAC. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I know a guy who can recommend (and build) the best machine you're ever going to get. Last I heard he was building for a lot of students and faculty at the Art Institute (he also graduated from the school a few years ago), so he's definitely in the know about video production. He's the best of the best and he's also got the best prices you're going to find. Send me a PM if you want his contact info... I'd post it here, but I'm afraid of getting a "yellow card" (even though I don't get anything out of it).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this is going to be used strictly for video editing maybe look into getting one of Avid's systems. They are built for NLE. The mojo system and software runs about $3000. Use the rest to get a nice monitor and any other software you might need before or after editing.

I think Avid is pretty much the de facto standard for video editing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think a lot would depend on what your source is..... strictly digital footage? Or are you going to need analog capture too? Or just strictly editing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, do you expect to do HDTV quality stuff ?

From a political standpoint, go under budget. Just a bit. The bosses LOVE that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Check out Tantus Computers. They have an excellent selection of editing systems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think for my use I'd only be spending half of that on the computer, the other half on a good VTR unit. That's one of the most important parts of the system for professional units.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  8. You might want to check out this company:

http://www.1beyond.com/products/new_products.asp?search=laptops

All they make is video editting computers. Laptop is about $3K.....

Mike
    Quote Quote