VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by adam
    So you have to give them your Win Product keys, the name of your pc manufacturer, and tell them which os you are running, before you can download an update? I don't see what the big deal is.
    The big deal is that customers should not be treated like criminals or pirates. The whole product key concept is annoying enough after paying the money for XP, then they require yet another validation on top of that?

Bottom line -- this sort of thing annoys legit customers, and fails to catch pirates (who will either get around it somehow or just won't download the upgrades).

Search Comp PM
    The big deal is that customers should not be treated like criminals or pirates. The whole product key concept is annoying enough after paying the money for XP
    You aren't being treated like a criminal or pirate simply by purchasing XP....it's quite simple, spend a minute to enter the product key and activate it. Where's the problem?

3. Edit -- n/m, you changed your post and I have no particular response to the revised version.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is that if Microsoft gets away with this kind of rectal probing of their customers now, it will only get worse as time goes on. Nobody stopped them when they deliberately programmed Windows 3.1 to crash when run from DR-DOS, among other things, and look at the state of the IT world today. What astounds me is Microsoft brings out a thousand patches a month, and even with their stranglehold over the desktop market, they never think to redesign their OS so it can perform adequately. They say they are not going to apply this extreme protection to critical patches, but the entire user community is adding a historically-true "yet".
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."

Search Comp PM
    Windows aint that bad is it?
    Where would we be without it?

oh yes, i remember....

C:\

Ahhhhh, DOS. Those were the days!
    Work you bloody thing....

Search Comp PM
    Microsoft is a spawn of hell. they're turning into the police state of the computer world... the validation process is like a Gestapo agent stopping u and asking "Ihre Papiere bitte" (your papers, please)

7. I'm not worried with the 'having a legit' copy, but what does worry me is 'Is it going to actually WORK?'.

Look at how many people shyed away from SP2 cause of the 'rumors' of problems it was causing. Boy that really helped keep the world secure from evil hackers.

2nd thing that worries me is the long terms effects of my 'privacy'. Great way for MS to compile info to sell off to other companies that sell products for Windows.

Now the possibility of even more Spam as a way to generate income for MS to offset those high Anti-Trust fines/fees.

My 1 1/2 cents worth

Sabro
    www.sabronet.com - It's all you need...to know

Search Comp PM
    I still don't see the problem. We are talking about two piece of information that are trivial (os version and computer manufacturer) and one that is specific to Microsoft, our Product key. I give out far more personal information everytime I order pizza.

Many software manufacturers require you to register in some way in order to recieve certain kinds of support. Microsoft just will have two rounds of registrations/validations. Considering how much the software is used, and how much it is pirated...I don't know it just doesn't seem like something to get worked up about.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adam
    I still don't see the problem. We are talking about two piece of information that are trivial (os version and computer manufacturer) and one that is specific to Microsoft, our Product key. I give out far more personal information everytime I order pizza.

Many software manufacturers require you to register in some way in order to recieve certain kinds of support. Microsoft just will have two rounds of registrations/validations. Considering how much the software is used, and how much it is pirated...I don't know it just doesn't seem like something to get worked up about.
    exactly -- it is really a non issue

if your worried about MS and your privacy , just get your credit report some time .. not much someone doesnt know about you already ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)

10. I'm not sure privacy is really the issue here, at least not for me. And I don't really care if Microsoft treats myself and its other customers like it doesn't trust us, because there is clearly good reason not to trust everyone.

The real issue I have with this is not sending them that trivial amount of info. My problem is that Microsoft is sliding down its own "slippery slope" faster and faster...

I already use Windows 2000 over XP because I don't want to deal with the product activation process -- not because I object telling them I bought the product, but because I change my system completely every few months, and don't want to have to call up Microsoft and ask permission to use my own computer once I run out of activations. Not to mention the fact that one day a few years from now, we'll all wake up and find that Microsoft has decided not to support XP anymore, and we will be unable to re-activate ever...

This product verification process is just the next step to what Microsoft desperately wants-- subscription based software. While I believe that everyone here is correct that they wouldn't restrict security patches and updates, how long before they simply restrict your use at all? I don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine Microsoft deciding you must "validate" your Windows by the first of each month... And perhaps then they simply decide that you pay a fee for this service, and when new versions of Windows come out, you must upgrade using Windows Update...

What I've said sounds paranoid when speaking about any normal company, but Microsoft has proven time and time again that it can't be trusted any more than it's customers can.

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know that some companies (all? certainly HP, I know) now don't even supply a [set of] rescue disk when you purchase a complete system. The user is relying on a partition (with the rescue s/w) on the only hard drive they get for fixing their system. If they know how to do that
    Yes I bought new Compaq Pressio that came that way, ordered a set of recovery cd's but that still does not let me do a "clean" install of OS (win xp home). I have to do a full recovery which does an fdisk, format and install of ALL the garbage that came pre-installed. Half of the stuff is trial ware or just links to purchase and some is reported as adware/trojon, virus.

They did send me set of cd's free since I called immediately on purchase, but wanted $35-us from daughter who waited 3 mo to ask for set

So do I spend $hundred to get just an xp install disk or buy bootleg for $10-20 ?

System came with burner so why not include iso image file of install disk that can be burned by end user?

Not lily white or christian

Search Comp PM
    yes - that is true --

they do want to move to subscription based software.. i dont really want that either and i doubt it will slow down piracy much ...

As a public company - they have an obligation to their shareholders to max. profits .... as is the obligation of ANY publicly traded 'for-profit' company ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    they charge for every point release -- and service pack ..
    Why do you post "information" about Mac OS X when you obviously have not the slightest clue what you're talking about? OmegaSupreme is absolutely right that security patches are free (of course). And what you call "point releases" are new OS releases with tons of new features.

Btw OS X comes without a serial number and does not have to be "activated". It just works and Apple doesn't treat you like a potential criminal.

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Given that Windoze:

* shows every sign that security, or even the mere thought of being constantly connected to a global network, was hardly even an afterthought in the design stage

* recycles technology from competitor's products dating back as far as the 1970s (edlin.exe is still sitting there doing nothing in Windoze XP)

* performs so poorly that it actually contributes to the system's success by getting retailers to push it so they can prescribe the latest and most powerful hardware to run it

* and let's not forget, is utterly unable to allow for its own maintenence (seriously, reformat and reinstall if just one OS file in the right place gets corrupted?)

...the serious fact is that the entire IT market is like a house of cards, just waiting to fall down. Alternatives like Linux and Mac OSX are trying hard, but there is just not enough of a way around Mickeysoft. If MS were to go broke and disappear tomorrow (and their strategy now shows every sign they fear this as much as I look forward to it), it would take the IT world another decade at the very least to recover from all the damage they have done.

What really angers me is that in spite of having access to five hundred times the processing power I had in 1993, I cannot get tasks like writing a couple of thousand words done any faster under this so-called new and improved system. In fact, it is taking me even more time, due to needing to hunt through programs that are in the terminal stages of feature bloat. And now Mickeysoft want me to pay on a monthly basis for programs that are so poorly written they cannot even be properly switched back when they arbitrarily decide to stop caring about language settings or the like? I don't think so.

If only we had realised what was going on in the early 1990s.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by the future
    they charge for every point release -- and service pack ..
    Why do you post "information" about Mac OS X when you obviously have not the slightest clue what you're talking about? OmegaSupreme is absolutely right that security patches are free (of course). And what you call "point releases" are new OS releases with tons of new features.

Btw OS X comes without a serial number and does not have to be "activated". It just works and Apple doesn't treat you like a potential criminal.
    well i know about it because i use it and have one along with a sgi system and many pc's, so shut the heck up please - ...our company has many apple systems also.

i didnt say anything about security patchs - i said point releases they charge you for and each point release fixes many bugs - they do add some new features ...big deal ....

no diff. than ms updating media player or some other feature and adding new software -- except they do NOT charge for it ...

but apple - when you have only 2.3% of the market share - has to make some revenue somehow ...

16. i think it's really funny when one of these Microsoft posts comes along! - out come all of the Linux/Mac beardies huffing and puffing!
    while i don't care for Microsoft's business methods etc etc - Windows is the premier OS - and pretty much the choice of the planet. get over it and get on with your life. (had a tinker with Linux - but can't get certain programmes to run, had hardware issues - gave up and went back to good ole Windows - and far fewer problems)

as to the security check - i don't know if anyone's ever visited a "warez" site before (i have - just for reference - natch!!) - but you find key generators that give you a unique Windows serial number. it's therefore impossible to stop me updating if i have a unique key???? - unless anyone cleverer knows different??!

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The last time I entered Wal-Mart to do some shopping they did not ask to see the receipt for the underwear I was wearing.
    Big Government is Big Business.. just without a product and at twice the price... after all if the opposite of pro is con then wouldn’t the opposite of progress be congress?

18. Originally Posted by BobV
    The last time I entered Wal-Mart to do some shopping they did not ask to see the receipt for the underwear I was wearing.
    Maybe not, but did you try asking for a free upgrade of that underwear whilst you were there
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary...

Search Comp PM
    but apple - when you have only 2.3% of the market share - has to make some revenue somehow ...
    I don't know how this MS post turned into an Apple bashing but...

While it is certainly true that MS dwarfs Apple, MS pretty much dwarfs all companies.

Apple has over 14 million loyal users of OSX, is a fortune 500 company, sells Billions of dollars worth of hardware and software every year, and is not only profitable, but has over 5.4 Billion dollars ($5,400,000,000) in cash and cash equivalencies on hand. 99.9% of the world's companies would kill to be in such dire straits.

20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i didnt say anything about security patchs - i said point releases they charge you for and each point release fixes many bugs - they do add some new features ...big deal ....

no diff. than ms updating media player or some other feature and adding new software -- except they do NOT charge for it ...

May I quote your own post here:

i guess you dont own OSX , where you have to pay for all patchs ....
    So you clearly DID say that Apple charges for security patches, which is just bs.

To compare "ms updating media player" to the progress OS X made from (for example) Jaguar (10.2) to Panther (10.3) is absolutely ridiculous and shows – again – that you either don't know what you're talking about or deliberately spread misinformation.

In regards to revenue – Apple just had the best quarter in their entire history.

Search PM
    as regards MS "subscription model", I saw (actually shot for) Bill Gates last Feb. when he came on tour to talk to our University after having spent a bundle on a new "computer technology" buidling.

He literally said that that's what they were going to be doing.

I don't mind the OS per se, and the security hasn't been much of a problem, but what i HATE is the unspoken requirement that all these consumer's machines be hooked up to the internet. and I HATE that they don't give you a good 'ole Full Install backup disc. and I HATE that they don't give you a decent manual anymore--either paper (yea!) or electronic, and I HATE that something that is popularly considered an semi-durable APPLIANCE is being marketed like its a consumable service!

Sucking up to your stockholder is expected, but they get their money ultimately from US! so they should be sucking up to our wants as well.

Scott

Search Comp PM
    Cornucopia you don't have to have internet access to activate windows, and I presume you won't have to have such access for this new validation either. You can do it over the phone just fine.

Search PM
    Yeah, I know, but MS is going to notice more quickly a person who calls in to "Re-Activate" after a System Re-install (esp. with new hardware/cards added). I can see them denying a key here much more than via the Internet.
    Another example of Technology Snobbery.

BTW, I have iNet connection on most of my machines, but particularly don't want them on some mission-critical workstations. Totally standalone. No Antivirus even (they would get discs checked out on another machine 1st). Lean and Mean!

Scott

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It has already been shown that early adopters, the bread and butter of the computer industry, are the ones who get punished the most with the upgrade/activation hassles. I would suspect that they are forming a very large share of Linux's market share, in fact.

25. Originally Posted by Nilfennasion
    It has already been shown that early adopters, the bread and butter of the computer industry, are the ones who get punished the most with the upgrade/activation hassles. I would suspect that they are forming a very large share of Linux's market share, in fact.
    I have no personal experience with Linux, but my tech people tell me that Linux is cheaper only if your time costs nothing. If you want a hobby, get Linux - if you just want your computer to work, get Windows.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    I HATE that they don't give you a good 'ole Full Install backup disc.
    If you bought your OS from M$ you got one. If you didn't blame your OEM.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, that was the part I was going to get to. My time is pretty worthless in terms of income, so to me, Linux is free. That's the hurdle that Linux needs to get over, of course. When it does, however, MS had better start taking it seriously, if not sooner.

It is also worth pointing out that an IT administrator who can get Linux working in spite of the difficulties is worth far more than the de-skilled Microserf A+ or MCSE admins who wind up chewing up even more time when MS systems go down. Having worked in a training company myself, I can say with confidence that MS uptimes in the hands of fully-skilled personnel are very easy to improve upon.

Search Comp PM
    It is also worth pointing out that an IT administrator who can get Linux working in spite of the difficulties is worth far more than the de-skilled Microserf A+ or MCSE admins
    Exactly right....great point.
    Microsoft certified (and A+) people without experience might be able to find a job at Taco Bell. For people who understand and know how to operate/ manage Linux, there are lots of good paying jobs/opportunities.

Search Comp PM
    microsoft has started its new subscription regime with a subscription version of outlook http://news.com.com/Microsoft+offers+subscription+Outlook/2100-1012_3-5542323.html...windows cant be far off
    Originally Posted by robrosen
    if you just want your computer to work, get Windows.
    Have u used Windows?

Search Comp PM
    Meanwhile M$ continues to rake in BILLIONS:

From CNET today -

Microsoft reports profit surge
    Last modified: January 27, 2005, 4:32 PM PST

Citing strength in both the business and consumer markets, Microsoft on Thursday reported better-than-expected quarterly sales--and profits that doubled those of a year ago.

For the three months ended Dec. 31, the company earned $3.46 billion, or 32 cents per share, on revenue of $10.82 billion. That compares with earnings of $1.55 billion, or 14 cents per share, on revenue of $10.15 billion in the same quarter a year ago.

Complete article here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the only good thing to come of all this will be the eventual downfall of M$, as the greedier they get, the more people are pushed toward an alternative OS and software. The amount may be incremental, but eventually it is bound to reach critical mass.

Just like high oil prices push more research into alternatives, so the same will eventually happen here too. Hard to say when, but the situation as it stands cannot go on forever, IMHO.
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny