VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello All: Purchased this unit last Oct (04) and all seemed well. Copied roughly 30 VHS to DVD-R's during that month. The unit sat until December at which time I converted 8mm tape to roughly 21 DVD-R's. Three times I got stuck in the "loading" loop: twice I finally got out it under 20 minutes, the last one took several hours of unplugging and replugging the power cord.

So the unit sat, unused, from Dec 5th to yesterday (Jan 25, 2005). I turned the M-1- on, waited until it was ready and placed a recorded DVD-R in it to watch. It went into the "loading" cycle again and it was two hours of unplug, replug, push its front buttons--to no avail, to get the tray to open and retrieve my DVD-R.

But something else now has happened! Now, the output signals are totally distorted. I can hear the chopped audio but no video will display on the TV screen. Just total distortion (mostly green in color), full of snow, and rolling, horizontal lines. Absolutely no video is displayed.

Here's what I've done. Relocated the unit, plugged power into different wall outlet, changed the audio/video cables, used different DVD-R to playback, connected the unit's A/V output directly to the TV (had it connected to the VHS, then to TV prior). All was the same distortion.

Even trying to bring up the "setup" or other "menu" selection was impossible as the screens on the TV were fully distorted.

I have e-mailed JVC and someone is goingf to get back to me in 5 days. I hope they will repair (shipping and insurance costs to me) this unit as the nearest Authorized service center is more that 100 miles away (Gas here in California is darn expensive).

Just passing this along to other Dr-M10 unit owners. If anyone had a unit repaired, I'd sure like to know what was done about the distorted output and the "loading" loop thats difficult to exit. Thanking all in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Others that have had this problem report that a couple of bad resistors are replaced, and then no problems afterward. JVC is aware of the flaw.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2010 update -- Fixing the JVC DVD Recorder "LOADING" Issue / JVC Will Not Recognize Blank DVDs
    I've compiled a new thread on this topic at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/showthread.php/fixing-jvc-dvd-2008.html -- I've been trying to organized all available JVC information better for those who need it!

POWER SAVE (off) is to blame, in conjunction with faulty resistors from what appeared to be a bad summer '04 shipment (NTSC only). The power save mode fed constant power to resistor ill-equipped to last.

The problem has not surfaced on early or recent shipments. Take it to a JVC center, and the quick repair will permanently fix the issue.

Bad resistors (chinese) have been plaguing electronics since the 90s. The fake ones (not found in JVC) have even been known to explode. Interesting story that involved industrial espionage.

PAL equipment has never had the loading issue, was entirely confined to a couple months of NTSC R1 units.

This thread pretty much documented the flaw for about 2-3 months until the culprit was found, and the problem fixed:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=241001&highlight=loading
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 30th Jan 2010 at 17:47. Reason: 2010 update
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf, I have a PAL unit, and it has now started to do the loading more often.

Has now happened twice since my last post on the other JVC-M10 thread.

I might just have to take it to a service centre and get it sorted
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Odd. Not heard of PAL units with this issue. Yours is Aussie one too. Maybe that was part of the NTSC production line, not the Europe one.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The problem is more than likely resistors with a wattage rating too low for the application, not faulty resistors. Resistors are normally very reliable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I read the other day of someone having this happen to their recorder after JVC had 'fixed' it. If the 'solution' to this problem is to not use standby, doesn't that mean that you can't use this recorder to do timer recordings? If that's the case, that would make this recorder essentially useless for me.
    Quote Quote  
  8. That is what it means and I couldn't use it because like you said that would have made it usless. A poor quality machine with more issues than just loading. I dumped the junker and took the $175 loss.
    Quote Quote  
  9. My DR-M10 had been sent to the corner, unplugged, to contimplate the error of it's ways on several occasins...to no avail.

I happened to check the JVC site tonight and saw that they are finally addressing this problem. They claim that the units that suffer from the "Loading" malady will be repaired free of charge. I don't know about shipping charges, but they posted a phone number to call for questions.

I, for one, will be one of the first in line to get this puppy's mind changed.

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that's great news about the free repair
    and my work is 30 minutes from the NJ factory service center

where exactly on the website is this free repair notice????
    I don't see it.

my unit has been okay since I put it in power save mode
    and this past 2 weeks it's been in timer recording mode and it has not acted up yet

the $6,000,000 question is - should I get it fix now or wait till it really acts up? hmmmmmmmm....
    Quote Quote  
  11. Models: DR-MV1S, DR-M10S, DR-MH30S, DRMX1S, SR-MV30U

My DVD recorder has experienced green or white noise in the picture display followed by the word “Loading” flashing continuously on the unit’s FDP. Unplugging the unit clears the "Loading" indication and restores normal operation. How can I prevent these symptoms from re-occuring?

A limited number of units of certain models of DVD recorders (Models-DR-MV1S, DR-M10S, DR-MH30S, DRMX1S, SR-MV30U) have experienced the symptoms described. While manually resetting the unit, as set forth in the question, restores normal operation, the symptoms may reappear. JVC has identified the cause of these symptoms and will make the necessary adjustments to affected units to eliminate the likelihood that the symptoms reappear. Adjustments will be made free of charge at JVC Factory Service Centers. Click the Factory Service Center link at top left of this page to obtain your nearest location. Please call 1-800-252-5722 and select option 4-3 if you have any questions regarding this process.
    http://www.jvc.com/support/support.jsp?pageID=1&item=24[/quote]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had the "Loading" error with the SR-MV30. Not even a week old, power saving On from the start. I opted for an RMA refund. I may purchase a DR-MH30 and eventually add a 9911 to it. Funny how a $350 budget got bent into a $700 purchase which has led to the need to spend nearly $1000.
    Quote Quote  
  13. As posted above, JVC's website says they will repair the "LOADING" problem free of charge. Furthermore, it is not necessary to contact a repair service first - just pack it up and send it. Here's the reply I got from my query to JVC regarding that subject via the link from the JVC website: "We would suggest having your unit sent to the nearest JVC Factory Service Facility. We would suggest sending the unit UPS ground with a copy of your sales receipt and include a letter with your name, address, phone number and a explanation of the problem." The service facilities are listed on the website. I'm waiting to get my DR-M10S back now.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My family has a JVC DR-M10S that we just recently started using in the last week or so.
    The unit was made in Japan and manufactured in May 2004.
    After plugging it in for the first time, the very first thing I did was turn on the power save mode.
    The entire top of the unit is cool to the touch during playback of dvd videos and recorded dvds, but it appears that during recording when I put the palm of my hand on the left rear of the top of the unit, there is a low level of warmth. Is this normal ?
    I read lordsmurf's comments in the 3rd post from the top of the thread about the resistors and what units were affected, and so I thought if I called JVC that maybe I could take a pre-emptive measure by telling them the manufacture date and serial number and see if they could tell me based on that if that is among the units (that will be) affected (and then, if necessary, send the unit in to have the resistors replaced instead of having to wait a few weeks before the problem possibly strikes my recorder). I also mentioned the pattern noticed in this forum of what units were affected.
    The guy I reached sounded bored and uninterested. All he told me is that JVC doesn't know which units are going to be affected and that the only condition for sending it in is that, if my unit is going to be one that will be affected by the loading problem, I have to wait until the problem strikes.
    The only good thing that came out of the conversation is that he said that if this loading problem occurs within the one year warranty that jvc will fix the problem for me at no charge.
    So, if my unit is going to wind up with the problem, is it more likely to occur during manual recordings or during timer recordings ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No idea. It is random in nature, as most power errors are (on anything in the world that draws power).

I'm not sure timer recordings work with power save ON. But you CAN alter it on and off when needed.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure timer recordings work with power save ON. But you CAN alter it on and off when needed.
    I've only done a few timer recordings so far, but the timer recording has worked fine for me with the power save ON: After I finish setting the date/time/speed/etc. for the recording and then press the "timer" button on the remote, instead of the display on the unit going blank like it usually does when you press the "power" button, the time is still displayed on the unit display and there is also a little red icon (displayed on the unit display) representing the fact that there is a timer recording programmed. Then, about a minute or two before the time when the program is supposed to start being recorded, the unit turns on (and does whatever it is that it is apparently needing to do in preparation) and then commences recording at the programmed time.
    Quote Quote  
  17. That's good to know. Some have assumed that the timer recording feature of this unit goes away if you use the power save mode. I think all the default "standby" mode (the opposite of the power save mode) does is allow the machine to start up faster when you turn it on. Many CRT televisions have a similar "fast start" feature that keeps the tube supplied with a bit of power when it is off, so it does not take so long for the picture to appear when turned on.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Matt_
    I've only done a few timer recordings so far, but the timer recording has worked fine for me with the power save ON: After I finish setting the date/time/speed/etc. for the recording and then press the "timer" button on the remote, instead of the display on the unit going blank like it usually does when you press the "power" button, the time is still displayed on the unit display and there is also a little red icon (displayed on the unit display) representing the fact that there is a timer recording programmed. Then, about a minute or two before the time when the program is supposed to start being recorded, the unit turns on (and does whatever it is that it is apparently needing to do in preparation) and then commences recording at the programmed time.
    The clock is there because it's not going into power save. They all turn on early to timer record, it gives itself plenty of time to read the disc and get ready to record. Also some go to record and pause, I think the JVC is one of them, then off pause to record.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both for the replies/help.

"The clock is there because it's not going into power save." Ah. I missed that in the manual. I read through the description again at the back of the manual about "power save" and saw that the manual does warn about that.

That's an unfortunate dilemma. And I read what lordsmurf said:
    "You want NO POWER to the machine when you turn it off. Extended power to the unit, like anything else electronic, can cause problems in the long run."

So, any time that I decide to use the timer function, that span of time while the unit is waiting till the time to begin recording is going to potentially put the unit at risk of developing the loading problem ? If that is the case, then it would be a disappointment that a $ 200-$300 recorder can't handle without developing an overheating problem what a cheap $ 30-$50 vcr can handle.

Also, I wonder if it makes a difference if the auto clock is turned on or off. I searched through the manual and didn't see anything indicating that the auto clock is disabled when power save mode is on. So I turned the auto clock on and left it on for a day and then turned it off. I could very well be imagining this, but it seems that there is a smidge of detectable warmth over in the left rear of the top of the unit when the auto clock is on that isn't there when the auto clock is off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Matt_
    without developing an overheating problem what a cheap $ 30-$50 vcr can handle.
    I don't agree with that at all. A VCR left on too long IS being damaged, and DOES generate heat (inside or out) and OFTEN eats tapes.

Some of this depends on how the unit is made too.
    Some can be left on, most not.

Electronics are made to be turned off when not in use, not fed constant power.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for explaining that because I did not realize that.
    I had worded things that way because I was speaking from the perception, based on how I'd always seen vcrs used over the years in the classroms, by friends and family, etc., that a vcr was something that you just plugged in and left on all the time and that it just ran and ran. I never stopped to consider, i.e. it never crossed my mind, that there could be any deleterious effect from that.
    Based on what you said, perhaps my family has just been lucky -- we have several models of Sony brand vcrs (each 3-4 years old) that are at still working and were always plugged in all the time.

The alternative to making timer recordings (in order to prolong the life of the jvc) would be to record the program on the vcr and then record from the tape to the dvd, but then there would the extra time involved plus the lower quality of that compared to just recording from the broadcast to dvd to begin with.

So, do you do something like put your components like a vcr and dvd recorder on a power strip and then just flick the switch on the power strip every time that you're done using them for the day ?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Well, the JVC DVD recorder should be able (and was designed) to have the fast start/timer feature going all the time. The units that some folks have that overheated and developed the "loading" problem were flawed and needed to have a couple of bad resistors replaced. JVC is aware of the problem and will fix it at no charge for anyone that experiences it with their unit.

However, LS is right. Electronics circuits will last longer if they are not powered up all the time. The individual components in circuits do eventually wear out and go out of spec over time. Disconnecting your electronics from power when they are not in use will extend their service life.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just use the timer. If the unit fails (odds are, it'll be fine), it can be fixed. Again, this is a minor flaw in the JVC, found in a small percentage of cases. This is not a wide-scale recall. This issue has totally been overblown by the forum trolls.

The same trolls have been jumping up and down with "its really soft" and "the colors are washed out" and "it's too bright". But time and time again, these myths are put out to pasture. Yet they still scream them. Again, examples of making a non-existant issue into an issue.

People just have to be smart enough to see through the BS.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I recently purchased a JVC DR-MH30S (I live in the UK).

Unforunately I have started experiencing the same "Loading problem" some of you are describing. It started a few weeks ago and seems random in nature. A couple of times it has happened when a playing DVD was paused, sometimes when a new DVD was loaded and occasionally when a playing DVD was stopped.

It seem a huge co-incidence that two model lines from the same company suffer from the same symptoms, best suggestion appears to be some form of component fault, possibly the resistor problem many of you refer to. It seems surprising however that a new model has a know fault from an older unit! With regard to your mention of a bad power supply, I have had the machine plugged into a surge protection device from day one.
    Quote Quote  
  25. The new unit that replaces your model is the DR-MH300S. The DR-MH30 and the DR-M10 are both from the same production era. All the JVC DVD recorders from last year are based on the same design, and a number of those have developed the "loading" problem, apparently caused by two faulty resistors. JVC is aware of the flaw and will fix your unit at no charge, even if it is out of warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I have a jvc dr-mv1, and i've exactly the some "loading" trouble. It's a resistor problem. And it's very hard to repair. I'm waiting for the second time that they change resistors. Seems impossible that jvc can do these things.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I bought my JVC recorder in Spain on the 21st of January this year, made in Germany model.

Started acting up about a week ago, went crazy (so did I) on Monday the 14th.

Unplugged overnight on Tuesday the 15th, thought I had beaten it on the 16th as there where no problems, today "loading" is back.

Saturday it's at the workshop.

Up until this annoying "loading" problem, I had been very impressed with recording and playback, (when comparing it to my 6 year old USA Panasonic), for all of the 3 weeks it worked with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hi guys - just to let you know i bought one of these recorders from ebay (before i knew about the problem,) - guess what! "Loading", "Loading", "Loading"........ Mine is a PAL (bought in the UK), so it appears that this isnt just NTSC units. I am trying to get some response from JVC. It does have one other problem which im not sure is related, but when im viewing tv through the recorder, it wont show it in wide screen - even though i have tried in the set up the 16:9 auto / 16:9 fixed options.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Sounds like these units are best avoided -- even the PAL ones!!
    Shame, because they do seem to give a good picture (when they work!)
    Quote Quote  
  30. The new units coming out in a couple of months will more than likely have the "loading" issue resolved. My DR-M10 is still working fine after nearly a year. No problems so far...
    Quote Quote