VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello All: it was my post that got this thread started. After a review and search of the JVC Web Site, I boxed up my unit and remote, mailed it to the repair center in Cypress, CA on January 27, 2005. Its been over three weeks and I haven't heard from there yet. Did follow up two days ago with a letter asking about the repair or return status.

Will keep you all updated if and when I get it back
    Quote Quote  
  2. Further to my previous comments on DR-MH30 (PAL Uk model) loading problem.

My machine got worse to extent it was unusable. JVC performed a very quick turnaround on a guarantee repair. At present seems good although it's only been back in operation a couple of days.

Similar problems reported on EYO forum in Australia would suggest the problem may be very widespread.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by andy y
    Further to my previous comments on DR-MH30 (PAL Uk model) loading problem.

My machine got worse to extent it was unusable. JVC performed a very quick turnaround on a guarantee repair. At present seems good although it's only been back in operation a couple of days.

Similar problems reported on EYO forum in Australia would suggest the problem may be very widespread.
    It's common enough for JVC to have posted a message on their website about it that offers free repair of the problem regardless of whether the unit is under warranty or not. I would expect the new models that are due out in a few months to not have the "loading" issue.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Boy! What a jam I', in concerning the Cypress CA Service Center. I mailed, insured, and sent my DR-M10S to this facility over a month ago. In fact, only two weeks ago I sent them a followup letter to query the status of my repairs. Never heard a thing--and can't get a telephone number that gets a real person on the other end.

So I went to the Post Office (here in Northern Ca) where I mailed the unit and had them check up and determine if my broke DVR was delivered. The post office official looked up the insurance tracking--or whatever, and told me the unit was delivered 29Jan05, but either the shop was closed or no one was there to sign for it.

The Cypress CA Post office then gave them a notice that a package was waiting for them to pick up and sign for. Nothing happened and the post office then sent that a second notice. Nope, the Cypress facility never came to pick it up.

So here I am, over a month has gone by, I did exactly what the JVC web site told me to do, i.e., repackage, insure, and mail the DVR to the nearest service center. I sent a followup letter and the Cypress Post Office sent two notices for pick up. The final blow is this according to the post office clerk up here in Northern CA, "..if they don't pick up the package--and it might have already have happened, the package will be returned to you as undelivered."

Does anyone have a telephone number for this repair shop where you can actually talk with somebody? Or is it just my bad luck they won't pick up the package or respond to post office notices and/or my follow up letter?

There, I've vented but getting a gut feeling that the unit will be returned and still broken. Any sage advice out there as to who to talk with?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I took my DR-M10S (Japanese version) which started showing the "loading" issue intermittently a few months earlier in for service on Feb 15th 2005 to the Cypress service center in person. The gal that took the machine made a comment that she didn't really see these (DR-M10S units) there much at all but they were familiar with the problem and said it would be fixed free of charge. Two weeks later it was ready for pick up. Unfortunately, the first thing I saw when I plugged the thing in was the "loading" on the display, what a bummer. I really haven't had a chance to play with it much so I'll assume it was a fluke, but I'll test it out and take it back if the problem still crops up again.
    My receipt from the Cypress Center has a telephone number: 800-252-5722 and a fax: 714-229-8077 which you could try. I didn't call them but they did call me to indicate the machine was ready. Incidentally, the receipt said that they performed a "Product upgrade P.W. Board ASSY" Good luck, hope the problem is really solved so we can go back to QUALITY recordings on this recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It goes into "loading" for a few minutes anytime it is unplugged for an extended period of time. That is normal operation.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. For those of you who have had your unit fixed by JVC: How long did it take? Have you had any problems since then? (I'm sending my unit off shortly).
    Quote Quote  
  8. lordsmurf
    Just use the timer. If the unit fails (odds are, it'll be fine), it can be fixed. Again, this is a minor flaw in the JVC, found in a small percentage of cases. This is not a wide-scale recall. This issue has totally been overblown by the forum trolls.
    I don't know whether you have shares in (or work for) JVC, but i'm of the opinion that ALL JVC-M10 models should have been recalled - they are still being sold!! This is more than an overblown issue caused by "trolls" (this is quite evident throughout the net)...that is just an assumption of yours, and a pretty pathetic one at that - No offence intended.

Within weeks of purchase we were all to familier with the now infamous "LOADING" error. This happened four times before finally locking up for good.... as in,i could not do sh1t with it. A great machine i thought,but unless you can use it for it's purpose then....

btw mine was a PAL R2 UK (made in Germany) - so it most certainly is not confined to R1 as you suggested.

The question is; do i purchase a Pioneer DVR420HS, OR wait to see if the new JVC models live upto my expectations.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Complainers are loudest. Things are always overblown and exaggerated on "the net" because everybody makes it their personal bitching ground. Forums are horrible about this.

If you're unhappy with JVC, buy the Pioneer.

Once you get the JVC repaired, nobody ever complains of it breaking again. They fix it with a different part, not more of the same old ones.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Complainers are loudest. Things are always overblown and exaggerated on "the net" because everybody makes it their personal bitching ground. Forums are horrible about this.
    So they should be,these "complainers" put money into the coffers of JVC, in return they expect a quality item which WORKS.
    Unfortunately you cannot benefit from hearing my tone of voice over "the net",but be assured,the head of customer services for JVC heard LOUD AND CLEAR what i had to say.

As for things being overblown and exaggerated over "the net" - The retailer where i purchased the JVC told me there had been a major problem with these machines. Enough said.

If you're unhappy with JVC, buy the Pioneer.
    As i stated,i think the JVC is a great machine (when it works). How do we know this fault as been cured PERIOD? - we don't.
    I will wait for the new models to arrive,let's hope these machines do not carry the same fault.
    Quote Quote  
  11. If you're unhappy with JVC, buy the Pioneer.
    As i stated,i think the JVC is a great machine (when it works). How do we know this fault as been cured PERIOD? - we don't.
    I will wait for the new models to arrive,let's hope these machines do not carry the same fault.
    I agree with you about the JVC being a great machine. Mine had the LOADING problem way back last year. Talked to customer service and got it repaired. It was out of my living room for less than a week. Paid nothing for it to be repaired, even though it was past the warranty.

Since returning with the correct resistors, it has been running nonstop for the last 5-6 months. I cannot calculate how many hundreds of hours of recording it has suffered through since then.

Based on my observation, The problem WAS the resistors. With the correct resistors, it works flawlessly.

If you are worried or frightened that the problem may not be cured PERIOD, then I suggest you never buy any DVD recorder because I think I have heard of every major brand recorder having problems to some degree.

When will those problems be cured PERIOD, and how will we know?

Nothing is perfect; but for me the JVC is pretty damn close.

Dan Ginnetty
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DGinnetty
    If you are worried or frightened that the problem may not be cured PERIOD, then I suggest you never buy any DD recorder because I think I have heard of every major brand recorder having problems to some degree.
    Yes. You heard correctly. Every machine out there has some flaw.
    At least the JVC one can be fixed, unlike some others.
    Quote Quote  
  13. If you are worried or frightened that the problem may not be cured PERIOD, then I suggest you never buy any DD recorder because I think I have heard of every major brand recorder having problems to some degree.
    Yes i agree, ALL major brand recorders can have problems from time to time. Though don't forget, JVC had a SERIOUS fault which effected ALOT of their DR-M10 recorders -- never have i seen such a flaw in another recorder.
    Anyway,even though i was not amused by this fault.... JVC is top of the list when making my next purchase

btw My brother has a Pioneer DVR420HS, not one problem has arisen -- it works flawlessly.
    Quote Quote  
  14. My 420 has been flawless, so to make excuses for JVC's poor quality control by saying 'all recorders have their flaws' is lame. And I HAVE seen posted before where someone had their JVC 'repaired', only to have the loading problem return again, although it seems to have been an exception to the norm with their repairs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pioneer has issues with picture dropout. It is also uncommon, but happens enough (like the JVC problem) to make gripe lists.
    Quote Quote  
  16. When working, the results are fantastic.

And the DVD-ram facility of recording whilst watching is great.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by Matt_
    without developing an overheating problem what a cheap $ 30-$50 vcr can handle.
    I don't agree with that at all. A VCR left on too long IS being damaged, and DOES generate heat (inside or out) and OFTEN eats tapes.

Some of this depends on how the unit is made too.
    Some can be left on, most not.

Electronics are made to be turned off when not in use, not fed constant power.
    As with anything in life there are always exceptions. Tivo comes to mind, it is always running even when turned off with no display on the TV. My Echostar boxes are always on in one forme or another. IE when off the power light may go off but the unit is still in standbye mode so that the unit can wake up and record a timer event, download the latest 9 day guide, firmware upgrades etc. Software upgrades download when the unit is off. MY Dishplayers wake up at 3am and download the guide data and any s/w updates and when powered off I can see the power light on the removable drive tray is lit even tho the drive isn't spinning. And of course anything that can be turned on via a remote has some feeding some circuits or it couldn't turn on with a button press on the remote.

And with My Cyberhome Ch-1500 I turn it off at the AC power switch on the back as the unit is fine except for a overheating issue even when off. Runs cool with the cover off, what were they thinking not putting cooling slots or a cooling fan in the unit? No cover = Cool running and durable unit. I decided against the replacment unit as it appeared to have fewer features.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by gshelley61
    Well, the JVC DVD recorder should be able (and was designed) to have the fast start/timer feature going all the time. The units that some folks have that overheated and developed the "loading" problem were flawed and needed to have a couple of bad resistors replaced. JVC is aware of the problem and will fix it at no charge for anyone that experiences it with their unit.

However, LS is right. Electronics circuits will last longer if they are not powered up all the time. The individual components in circuits do eventually wear out and go out of spec over time. Disconnecting your electronics from power when they are not in use will extend their service life.
    True, however some things that is a real pain, Tivo and my 721 and to a lesser extent 501 and Dishplayer, but mainly the first two take a long time to boot up to operability after a power outage. The Tivo and the 721 both run Linux and first they start to boot then they check the Drive for errors and and after a few minutes are ready to go. the 721 then also has to get data off of the satellite, start X Windows etc. That is why they run off of a UPS. The other two are quicker but they still do recpetion checks etc. So obviously and hopefully they are designed to run 24 hour a day.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  19. Switching power supplies are always on. Wattage and therefore wear varies according to wheather the unit is powered up or not, but the power supply is always on.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    I too have the same problem. I called JVC today and sat on the phone for 30 minutes before I was able to talk to a real person. When I finally got ahold of him he was no help at all. He told me I need to ship the unit to the factory and can not drop it off. I live very close to the factory but have to go the opposite direction to UPS and spend a fortune to ship it. I'm so effin' mad about this entire situation. They sold me a unit that doesn't work and now I have to unhook the damn thing, spend a *^$% load of money to send it to them, and hope it doesn't get lost in the mail. I was thinking of just going back to Best Buy and purchasing a new one. Then I can put the crappy one back in the box and return it. Only problem is that it looks like they added an "s" at the end of the model number. I don't know if they would even notice but what the hell else can I do. Does anyone know if best buy will send it back to the factory for you?

I tried to call the nearest JVC repair center and they told me only the factory is handling this problem. I have a JVC VCR I bought a few years back that hasn't woked right in a while either. You can be sure that I will never purchase JVC ever, ever again. I recomend and consult alot and JVC has been crossed right off the list! Their customer service stinks.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chendagam
    I too have the same problem. I called JVC today and sat on the phone for 30 minutes before I was able to talk to a real person. When I finally got ahold of him he was no help at all. He told me I need to ship the unit to the factory and can not drop it off. I live very close to the factory but have to go the opposite direction to UPS and spend a fortune to ship it.
    I am surprised by this. A co-worker of mine bought a JVC too.
    He physically took the unit to the factory authorized service center in late Feb/early March with a copy of his original receipt and a copy from the page of the JVC website mentioning the free repair. JVC repaired it and shipped it back to him a month later.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, this guy on the phone was a real doosh. I really don't know what to do. I'm afraid to just buy a new unit and try to return the old one because I could end up getting stuck with 2. It really wouldn't be such a big deal if JVC would just treat me like a human being. I paid $450 for a unit that only worked for a few months. I always thought that companies want to keep the customer happy. I'm not asking for much, I just want my unit to freakin' work. When it is working, I love it. It's a great machine. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

John
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Call back and get somebody else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is easily the only place online or otherwise where people talk about this JVC error, and it is super overblown here.

The Panasonic machines actually have a much higher fail rate, between hard drives dying and unit that refuse to turn on (requires an unplug recycle, takes 3-5 hours off time).

Other machines, like Phillips and Sony especially, have much worse, much more common mechanical failures.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Maybe but After having two (2) JVC VHS VCRs that were totally unreliable including one that was a high end S-VHS unit, I do not think I'll ever buy another JVC unit of any kind.

YMMV
    Quote Quote  
  26. Lord Smurf may be right about JVC getting a bum rap but it is hard to overcome a number of psychological reactions which have nothing to do with the product at hand. These include first impressions, when most reviews are written, and the nature of the failure.

The first impression is formed fairly quickly. If there is a failure early on because of a manufacturing defect, it will strongly affect the opinion of the buyer, much more so than if the failure occurs six months later.

Most reviews are written soon after purchase. An early failure will show up in reviews disproportionately if it occurs within the first month of the purchase.

The nature of the failure also is important because all failures are not considered equal. A failure that leaves a product unuseable leaves a worse impression than a partial or intermittent failure.

I would have to disagree about this place being the only place where the issue comes up. Here are some links to the epinions. com web site. The first regards a related product, the JVC DR-MV1S combo unit. Seven out of nine reviews complain about the loading problem.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-JVC_DR-MV1S_DVD_Recorder_and_VCR_Camcorder/display_~reviews

There are only three reviews on the JVC DRM10, but two of three have the problem.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-JVC_DRM10_DVD_Recorder_Player/display_~reviews
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    While I dont have a Panisonic DVR I have always bought their products and they have always been quality. I was all set to buy a Pany DVR but after researching here as well as reading many reviews I bought a Pioneer 220 and it has been perfect in every way.
    In the course of my research then and till today I have seen this complaint about JVC everywhere, USA as well as Europe. This was not a small problem limited to a certain lot produced during a short time period.
    This is wide spread. Sorry but JVC has to be at the bottom of the list no matter how it performs after it is fixed. New products should not have to be fixed. Defending this or rationalizing by pointing fingers at other brands does not make sense.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. While it is perfectly fine to disagree and give reasons, your constant 1-sentence "JVC sucks" posts are unneeded. If you have nothing new to add to this topic, do not reply in it anymore. People are sick of seeing you reply to this post every day with "JVC sucks". You've said it once in this thread, and that's enough. This warning is not for THIS POST, but rather for the 6 posts that have been removed from here. Stop it. This is TROLL activity and usually results in a ban. Only post when you have useful information and commentary. Not a "this sucks" drive-by post whoring.
    / Moderator lordsmurf
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    I really like this unit, when it works. My biggest problem with JVC is their customer service. This unit should have been recalled. We should be able to take the unit back to the store and pick up a brand new one...one that effin' works. If I do have to get it reapired I should be able to take it to a local JVC repair center. When I called the local repair center, they told me they don't have the parts and I have to take it to the factory. Don't have the parts? Get the effin' parts then. I'm the victim here, not them. Even if I have to take it directly to the factory, let me drop it off. Don't make me pay $50 to mail it out to them and worrry about it getting "lost" in the mail.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would not recommend JVC or Panasonic recorders because both machines have issues and I own both. The JVC has issues with contrast and very soft looking video causing loss of detail and true light tones. The Panasonic has a more sharper image but suffers from macro blocks.

I just puchased a Samsung HL-P5085W DLP HDTV and watched video made using both machines and what I exclaimed in other posts continue to show even more using this set. Both machines have issues that hopefully are addressed in the newer machines.

Stay away from both of them. 8)
    Do unto others....with a vengeance!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any possible way to fix this problem at home ?
    I have electronic reparing skills. Even have service manual for this model (DR-M10). My problem is after a few days of working green lines randomly appers on screen. If I unplug unit from power supply nad after few minuts switch it again everything is fine for next few days. They more looks like Any ideas ?
    Quote Quote