VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19
FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
Thread
  1. I used to check this thread almost everyday when I was fixing JVC recorders but since I was let go back at the end of 2007 I haven't checked it since then so i'm surprised to see it is still alive.

Sorry to hear you guys are still having problems.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again for the advice.
    I did try another brand, admittedly, not one specifically recommended by Lordsmurf, but with the same result as before.
    JCWBob's experience gave substance to my suspicions and the thing is now taking up more space in my bin than it's worth after all the money, trouble and grey hairs. And the word "loading" will forever more raise my blood pressure...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Another brand" might still be the same disc. You could buy Memorex, HP, TDK, Maxell, some house brands --- and they'd all be CMC discs.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi great topic. I know of a DR-MH30 going for sale. Apparently the drive sometimes doesn't eject but if the drawer is pressed it opens (or something!). It is ok when a DVD is in it. How many $ or £ do you think this unit is worth bearing in mind its likelyhood to fail? Is it worth buying because it is such a good machine when working? I have just ordered a Pioneer DVR 550 also for VHS transfers. Which is better the JVC or the pioneer or are both worth having?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    $60 USD or more, maybe -- the JVC filters better.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I have read through all of this thread. I have come to the conclusion that I am not totally sure which components to replace. Mostly because of the post jumping back and forth from model to model. I have a DR-MV1S. Is the fix the same as the DR-MV10 for the loading issue?
    Quote Quote  
  7. So another patient is born in the ongoing DR-M10 saga.....

First of all i would like to thank the guys who solved the "loading" issue....this DR-M10 also HAD the loading problem but was solved by switching caps in the PSU...also added some ventelation holes to the top cover and some on the backside above the manufacturer sticker.....
    This unit (PAL) is from september 2004 btw so the loading issue isn't only for models from around may of that dreadfull year :P
    Anyways....today finished the bugger up and put it back together but NO SOUND whatsoever.....not on the analog outs, not on the scart connection, not even on the digital out (coax or optical)....what the hell.......
    Tried all different combinations in the set up menu but still no sound.....

Anybody any idea what could be wrong? Is the audio converted from digital to analog on the digital board? Or has this to do with another problem perhaps in the PSU?
    Any help would be appriciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That type of problem is more likely cause by accidental damage to the board while fixing the other issues. How perfect was your fix? No dust, debris entered the unit while it was apart?

I forget the electronics tech term -- when two things touch that should not, thanks to metal shards, bad soldering or whatnot.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I took the machine apart so all soldering was done outside the machine... Normally i repair/modify analogue synthesizers/drumcomputers so my soldering skills are pretty much okay. I even soldered my own analogue modulair. 8)
    This unit which i'm talking about belongs to a friend and it has been sitting in his closet gathering dust...

But i find it pretty strange that no sound whatsoever emerges from this machine...we tried all kinds of media....regular cd's, dvd's etcetera....
    I'll put the scope on it to see where it goes wrong.

But is the DAC on the digital board? I don't have a service manual of this bugger....
    Quote Quote  
  10. Okay i took the machine apart again and took a closer look at the DA and LPF section of the main board. As far as i can see the DAC is fried....at least the chip looks like it's has gotten to hot and looks melted. The enscription on top can't be read anymore.

So can someone look what kind of DAC (ic 8201) is used? Thanx in advance, DenDer
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hy i,m Italian I have a problem with jvc dr-mh30s is broken hard disk and I cannot clone on a new one if someone me can help thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since this seems to be the monster posting regarding the JVC "loading" problem, I'll put this here.

Our church has the DR-MV1S. It literally is "driven only on Sundays"! Never the less, the semi-permanent "loading" problem has finally appeared, and I discovered this thread while considering the remote possiblity that maybe someone, somewhere, might have had a similar problem. Surprise!

The news is this: I contacted JVC and described the problem and what I'd done thus far (having to unplug it for increasingly long intervals to recover operability, etc.). They acknowledged that I had already done what they would suggest, and to send it in for evaluation. However, they cautioned that I should do so at once, as it would be covered if it was "the" problem, but that the free repair program is ending this year. So, dear reader, if you have the infamous "loading problem" and it is before December 31, 2009, CALL NOW! (If it's after, look at earlier pages and get out your soldering iron.)

My thanks to all who have pursued this problem to date!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. I have an M10 and would like to thank all the guys here for the details on power supply repair.
    Mine has been giving the flashing "Loading" off and on for a while but recently started cutting out mid DVD playback.
    Today I replaced 2 bulging 2200mf caps and cured several dry joints in the power supply restoring the unit to full working order.
    Excellent work many thanks.
    Regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ziggyoscar View Post
    I have an M10 and would like to thank all the guys here for the details on power supply repair.
    Mine has been giving the flashing "Loading" off and on for a while but recently started cutting out mid DVD playback.
    Today I replaced 2 bulging 2200mf caps and cured several dry joints in the power supply restoring the unit to full working order.
    Excellent work many thanks.
    Regards
    Thanks for posting your experience.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the SR-MV40. It suffered the "Loading" error some time after warrantee ended. I did not realize JVC was "handling" these errors outside of warrantee so the machine sat collecting dust. I eventually found this discussion and it has been an immense help.

I finally repaired my unit and all is working.

I am a mechanical engineer. Circuitry is not my strong point. But I can work a soldering iron. My power supply board had capacitors that showed signs of bulging. My approach was to identify all of the capacitor specifications and find replacements. A little more learning taught me that a higher voltage rating and/or a higher temperature rating than the existing component would act as a suitable (if not desirable) substitute.

Not wanting to diagnose which capacitor was the culprit, I ordered a replacement for EVERY capacitor on the power board. Through Digi-Key I spent around $25 USD including shipping.

I soldered in the caps one by one. I also added heat sinks to the power transistors (those square things). When I finally fired the unit back up, no smoke or sparks. At first the loading error message continued to flash. I fiddled with the buttons and it kicked over from DVD to VCR - something it wouldn't do before. When I switched it back to DVD it read the disk that had been stuck in the machine for years and seemed happy.

I wired the unit back into my entertainment system and all seems to be working. At some point after unplugging the power and plugging back in, I got the loading error again for a prolonged time. Switching to VCR and back to DVD seemed to reboot things correctly again.

So now I have a means to copy my old VHS and camcorder recordings to DVD. This was the main reason I bought the machine in the first place... I just never got around to doing it. However, the machine has an analog tuner. So unless I hook it up through a dedicated digital converter, I won't be recording new broadcast material.

Many thanks to all on this discussion who figured this out. I, as a non-electronics geek, was able to repair. If you think your box is worth $20-$25 and a couple hours of your time then feel confident to perform this repair.

I have attached a spreadsheet I used to order the components for my power supply board. There may be better choices for lots of reasons I don't understand, but this might give someone a head start. It is the only thing I have to give back to the help I received here.

DCH

Edit:

The file upload would not accept a *.xls file or a *.csv file. The Capacitors.txt file is an export from Excel. The Excel-Capacitors.txt file is an excel spreadsheet with the file extention changed to txt. Rename this file to a *.xls file extension for viewing.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by dch.public.address; 1st Jul 2013 at 12:42.
    Quote Quote