VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is driving me crazy. I've tried so many things with no success so far. Can anyone explain to me (preferably step by step) how I can remove the AC3 audio component from one or more feature film .vob files and then replace that AC3 file with an mp3 (or aiff) of the same audio (so that I end up with a VOB in which the audio is now mp3 and not AC3)?
    My reason for the question is this: I am using the new EyeHome. If you try to play a feature film on the TV with EyeHome but the film's vob files contain AC3 audio, then only the video is shown. There is no audio leaving the EyeHome's RCA-type sound jacks. Apparently, the AC3 audio is directed instead to the EyeHome's optical-out jack (Toslink). The only way that the optical signal can be used is if it is sent to a reeiver that accepts optical-in. Under those circumstances, the audio would then be passed on to the surround sound speaker system connected to the receiver. However, I don't want to add a receiver/speaker system to my TV. Instead, I'd like the audio to go to my TV's audio-in R&L RCA jacks. That would be possible if I can convert the AC3 portion of the VOB to normal stereo. Home video vobs (created with DV camcorder, iMovie, and iDVD) play fine with EyeHome (video and sound) because the audio captured is not AC3. I've tried several pieces of software including ffmpegx with no luck (unless I'm doing something wrong).
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. u cant use mp3 cos it isnt dvd standard

u have 3 choices

ac3
    mp3
    pcm
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JamieBecks23
    u cant use mp3 cos it isnt dvd standard

u have 3 choices

ac3
    mp3
    pcm
    If you can't use mp3, how could mp3 be one of the 3 choices?

The 3 choices are actually AC3, LPCM or mpeg 1- audio layer 2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actuall I'm adding the FOURTH..
    That is.....
    Digital Theatre Sound or DTS

however , we might as well leave this fourth out of the discussion cause the ability of the home consumer to make their own DTS files is totally nil!

I believe what you need to do is demux the vob and convert the AC3 file to
    MPEG LAYER 2 for the best playability on EYEHOME..
    Quote Quote  
  5. For MPEG audio, the DVD standard only allows two choices:

1. MPEG-1 Layer II audio (.mp2)
    2. MPEG-2 audio with extensions

Choice 2 seems to be rather wishy-washy, with nobody exactly clear what type of MPEG-2 audio is allowed and what type of extensions are permitted. I would bet that almost no players can handle it.

Choice 1 will work, but you will notice it is NOT the same thing as MPEG-1 Layer III audio (.mp3). Some commercial European releases have MPEG-1 Layer II audio, but it seems to be pretty rare these days. I think the low-end ULead PC programs encode in MPEG-1 Layer II audio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This person is not trying to make a standard DVD ... phillip9 is merely trying to take an MPEG from a DVD and make it functional for the eyeHome.

I suggest you try to demux the video and audio from the vob. Take your .ac3 track and convert it to .mp3 (if you prefer) in mAC3dec, but I would suggest converting it to .mpa audio (a converter app for this escapes me at the moment). Take your video and audio into the Tools section of ffmpegX and mux as MPEG and you're done.
    Quote Quote