VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. DVDLab is an Authoring application that takes mpeg streams, as well as AC3, MP2 and LPCM audio. It then authors these into the VIDEO_TS folder in the form of .vobs etc., to burn.
    It also has a built in aspi burning program.
    It does not encode video, nor does it convert .mov to .mpg. It does not capture from VHS or cam.
    The "liteweight" edition does almost everything the pro version does, under one VTS, adhering to the DVD standard (pretty much) with a few exceptions.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by patrickmerrill
    Hey,

For awhile now I've been using Sonic MyDVD to burn DVDs.

The menus turn out alright, but not as good as say iDVD, because they're not as customizable.

The video editing software I'm using (you will laugh at me for this ) is Windows Movie Maker, which can output WMV and AVI.

What programs can you make customizable DVD menus with that includes chapter select?

Thanks,

Patrick
    If you want better (if not the best) result, undoubtedly DVD-LAB Pro!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The only DVD-Lab guide that doesn't suck is probably the Doom9 one. But even then, like most other guides for this software, it skips around a bit, and you're bound to ask questions about simple stuff.
    I have to disagree. The guides I've readon DVD-Lab have been pretty good for the most part. The interface is very well laid out and easy to use. If you want a terrible, terrible interface, use ProCoder's. It's bad.

Anyway, DVDLab is the one I settled on from teh ones I tested. It had the best interface and the best support from the company.

LS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For the record, you can do motion menus with DVDAuthorGUI, but you will need to create the menus in another program. However if you know how to use Avisynth, DVDAuthorGUI will GENERATE a basic motion menu for you and you can go in and customize it. I'm not certain if it will do switched menus (DVDAuthor Can but not sure about GUI) but it will do motion menus just fine.
    I also think GUI For DVDAuthor supports motion menus but am not 100% Certain.

Rog
    There are many ways to measure success. You just have to find your own yardstick.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DVDLab is an authoring application. It does not solve sync issues, nor does it accept .mov, .avi or any other compressed format, except mpeg-1 and mpeg-2.
    You want to edit VHS. You want chapters and menus. You don't want to split movies into elementary streams, you want it to accept .mov files directly, yet you want to do all of this for less than $100.
    As I suggested above, get DVDAuthorgui. It's free.
    Read some guides on converting .mov to .mpg.
    Good luck finding all the tools you need, to do a proper job, for less than $100.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use both DLP and DWS2.

One major authoring feature in DLP is the ability to use one Title, and either play a certain chapter and return to a menu, or jump to a certain chapter, and continue playing the title until the end. You can't do this with DWS2 (Full or Express). You would need to use 2 versions of your assets -- a complete long Title, and then separate title clips for the chapters (if you wanted to play a chapter and return to a menu).

If you cut your video up into titles, then the playback is not seamless between the smaller title clips.

Not to mention DLP allows for more advanced Playlists (chapters out of sequence, titles, etc...). And DLP also allows for "Case" logic, and branching based on SPRM and GPRM's...

Yes, DLP has a higher learning curve, but it's worth it in that it shows you what can be done...

I do like DWS's menu templates, and its ability to preview video and audio (DLP doesn't playback the audio during previews).

They both offer Advanced features, and DWS comes with an excellent encoder.

I switch between them based on the task at hand...
    George
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I create some kick-a$$ motion menus with DVD Architect 2. I know most of you guys don't like/use it, but for me, I have it down pretty well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For the record, DWS2 can do "Switched Menus" and it can also do the "Keypad Lock" (it just cannot do them as easily as DLP can because DLP utilizes scripts to automate the manual setup process).
    George
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by GeorgeW
    For the record, DWS2 can do "Switched Menus" and it can also do the "Keypad Lock" (it just cannot do them as easily as DLP can because DLP utilizes scripts to automate the manual setup process).
    Yeah you are right. all that does is play on menu's,Enter right Number go to menu 2, and right again go to menu 3, if wrong go to menu 5, and start over.

The things that are missing in DVD Workshop is Return to menu after playing a chapter, Transition's between menu's/Titles/Chapter's if you wanted.
    A few more but these would realy do it good.

BUT you can do all those things in DVD WorkShop it just takes some imagination.

For these things I use DVD Architect, It has everything that DVDlab and DVD WorkShop have Plus alot more.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by reboot
    Just downloaded, installed and attempted to use Workshop.
    Strike 1, it won't accept AC3 audio input.
    Strike 2, it insists on autochaptering, not allowing me to set 5 equidistant chapter points through the whole clip.
    Strike 3, it crashed immediately upon loading a non-standard mpeg (352x240) into it's standard NTSC template.
    It's out.
    Some right click context menus would make it much easier to use. I never got to the point of actually trying to set up a menu, as I didn't want to wait the time to encode a standard NTSC DVD mpeg, just to try it.
    If you can convince me otherwise, I'll maybe try again, but for now, I'll venture to say it's nowhere NEAR as good as DVDLab Pro, and definitely NOT worth the extra $250.
    Miscellany: Having to register, giving an email addy and name just to download a trial SUCKS!
    This is to Funny Reboot..

It will take AC3 , Chapters have as many as you want, where you want.
    I wouldnt call this a review..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by patrickmerrill
    What programs can you make customizable DVD menus with that includes chapter select?
    Get Adobe After Effects to create menus, get Canopus ProCoder to encode them, find somewhere Spruce DVD Maestro to author your DVD's - and you'll never want to look back at anything else. That is as fully customizable and original as you can get. No restrictions whatsoever. I'm proud of my motion menus, which look like no one else's. People that get my DVD's love those menus too.

I really like Adobe After Effects, and even use it for cover design and other still images (instead of Photoshop, which I don't particularly like). As for retouching and some other little things that After Effects is not very good at I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7. Another great program.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm surprised not many people have mentioned nero vision express 3 I just downloaded an update for it yesterday (before it would never burn properly) and ever since it has worked great for me. I can add animated menus with animated buttons on top of teh menus and I can have a song playing with the menu. I have not actually watched the video yet that was encoded and burnt with nero and I'm sure it's probably not that great of quality but it doesn't matter too much to me because my tv isn't too high quality either. When I do want something with better qaulity tho I tend to use mainconcept (until the audio failed to work) for converting to a dvd compliant file. Then add it into dvd lab and create my menus etc. I'm still not too keen on the 300mb per 10 second of menu animation tho, my hard drive is only 40gigs and cannot take that kind of abuse (is there anyway to lower the qaulity of that?
    Quote Quote  
  13. @ canadateck. I didn't say it was a review
    It's a blatant bashing of a sub-standard POS crippled beyond belief bloated demo version

@ Edmund Blackadder. Sure, try and find an outdated, no longer supported, piece of $5000 software!
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by reboot
    @ canadateck. I didn't say it was a review
    It's a blatant bashing of a sub-standard POS crippled beyond belief bloated demo version

@ Edmund Blackadder. Sure, try and find an outdated, no longer supported, piece of $5000 software!

I wouldnt expect anything less from you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by reboot
    That's why I said "try to find it". Besides, I'm sure that most of the people talking about DVD Maestro have "found" it somewhere without much problem. I don't see any issue with that though, as DVD Maestro is no longer made and the company does not exist anymore. I'd say it's a tribute to this great program if somebody still "finds" it useful. It is the best DVD authoring program and deserves to live at "any" cost. I am not advocating w*r*z, but I think this particular case is an exception. The maker of the program will not lose anything because there is no maker anymore. And all the current DVD authoring programs will not get my money because they are simply not good enough. Too bad for them for not researching DVD Maestro and trying to create something very similar into which I would happily invest my money. Too bad for all of them who create either crippled or buggy software. DVD Maestro is neither of those.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Sole rights to "DVD Maestro" are owned by Apple.
    If you get it somewhere, it's piracy.
    Although I agree, it's a GREAT program, and a total shame that it's no longer around.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  17. Since the original poster of this thread has "outgrown" Sonic's MyDVD, I'm surprised no one has suggested Sonic's Dvdit. I now use DVDit exclusively for my authoring. It is extremely simple to use, but has great features and is $100 cheaper than DVD Workshop.
    Jim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sole rights to "DVD Maestro" are owned by Apple.
    If you get it somewhere, it's piracy.
    I agree that it's a piracy. But Apple gave the PC people no other choice, but to go down the piracy route. They killed DVD Maestro and created a watered down version of it, DVD Studio Pro, that only works on Mac. I'm not going to buy a Mac computer just only so I can use DVD Studio Pro. How come they now make iTunes for Windows, but no DVD Maestro upgrade?

Although I agree, it's a GREAT program, and a total shame that it's no longer around.
    I'm absolutely in shock just thinking what's going to happen about 5 years from now when everything starts switching towards HD-DVD authoring. If there's no HD equivalent of Maestro - that's gonna hurt real bad. Maybe I should now start reading all the Scenarist guides, if it's going to be the only full-featured HD program.

Unless of course Apple wises-up and releases a next generation of HD-DVD Maestro for PC market.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Would I be wrong in saying that DVDLab's interface is almost identical to that of Maestro? And what can Maestro do that apps like DVDLab, DVD WS2, Adobe, etc., can't?? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jbenj01
    Would I be wrong in saying that DVDLab's interface is almost identical to that of Maestro? And what can Maestro do that apps like DVDLab, DVD WS2, Adobe, etc., can't?? Thanks.
    Just name the things these Apps cant do,then you will know what Maestro can do..Really.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Edmund Blackadder
    They killed DVD Maestro and created a watered down version of it, DVD Studio Pro, that only works on Mac.
    I totally disagree with this statement. Having used DVDSP1, the immediate successor to Maestro, it can do pretty much anything. While it sucks that they took Maestro and left the PC with ReelDVD only, they at least preserved the quality of the software, for a while. Only the newer version DVDSP3, like all new versions of anything these days, is a bit dummied-up.

Your After Effects, Procoder, Maestro method ... very solid.
    Not easy to learn, not cheap, not a quick operation. But very nice.

I use Premiere, Mainconcept, Ulead DVDWS2 method.
    Very similar, but a bit easier, and slightly cheaper.

Both methods require knowledge and patience.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One thing I can't figure out about meastro is why I cannot import any videos whatsoever even after I've converted to a dvd compliant video using mainconcept and for that reason and that reason *alone* I use DVD-lab and somtimes nero vision express3 (when I'm in a rush). and from what I can see (agreeing with jbenj01) the interface of dvd meastro is very similar with dvd-lab. I just wish I could find out how well mastro worked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by canadateck
    Just name the things these Apps cant do,then you will know what Maestro can do..Really.
    Very well said, canadateck! 8)

Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Your After Effects, Procoder, Maestro method ... very solid.
    Not easy to learn, not cheap, not a quick operation. But very nice.

I use Premiere, Mainconcept, Ulead DVDWS2 method.
    Very similar, but a bit easier, and slightly cheaper.

Both methods require knowledge and patience.
    That's right. But you know that once you get those programs, learn them, get some inspiration and time on your hands - you will definitely stand above the crowd.

Originally Posted by Boomer8
    One thing I can't figure out about meastro is why I cannot import any videos whatsoever even after I've converted to a dvd compliant video using mainconcept and for that reason and that reason *alone* I use DVD-lab and somtimes nero vision express3 (when I'm in a rush). and from what I can see (agreeing with jbenj01) the interface of dvd meastro is very similar with dvd-lab. I just wish I could find out how well mastro worked.
    I don't know how DVD-lab imports, but are you sure that you have demultiplexed streams you're importing to Maestro? It will never take a program stream. If they are demultiplexed, make sure the bitrate is not too high. Also check your encoding parameters in MainConcept again. I've tried MainConcept encoded material in Maestro and it works fine, never been rejected. Maestro is designed to create 100% compatible DVD structures, so if it doesn't like some of your assets it's for a good reason. Try it again.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help, still trying to get mainconcept to work properly again.
    Quote Quote  
  25. boomer8,

Not sure with Mainconcept encoder, but with CCE, I used to end up with video with a 23.976fps and had to run Pulldown on it to add 29.976fps flags in order for Maestro to accept (from memory and assuming you're in NTSC land). Just a thought..

As to Maestro's supremacy. let's chalk it up to one of life's "enigmas" since no one no one seems to want to answer..
    Quote Quote  
  26. ... They killed DVD Maestro and created a watered down version of it, DVD Studio Pro, that only works on Mac.
    I am not entirely sure Apple actually killed Maestro. I would say that correct statement would be Spruce (maker of Maestro) run to Apple as fast as they could and happily agreed to be Apple exclusive (probably because they got scared of Sonic). So instead of Apple killing Maestro, I would say Spruce went the easiest way of selling out for good cash and poke a finger to their custommers eye or even that Sonic was determined to bring down Spruce if Apple didn't stepped in, but not that Apple mission was to kill it. I am not sure apple even wanted it at first.

Hey, I do agree that Maestro is la creme, but its flying flags position is more situational than earned now. If you are building a commercial video studio, Maestro is out of question because the only available copies are illegal.
    So the proposed workflow AfterEffect -> Procoder -> Maestro is very professional and two thumbs up, except there is no Maestro. What Maestro?

Oh and if you buy MAC and the newest DVD Studio PRO, you will still pay about 10 times less than for original DVD Maestro.

Just my opinion anyway. (I don't use MAC at all so don't take this as PC vs. MAC bashing)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mr. Budwar
    I am not entirely sure Apple actually killed Maestro. I would say that correct statement would be Spruce (maker of Maestro) run to Apple as fast as they could and happily agreed to be Apple exclusive (probably because they got scared of Sonic).
    By Apple's killing I meant that they bought the program and decided not to release Windows versions anymore. So they killed it for PC users. It's great that such great software got a new reliable home, but the outcome for Windows users is quite sad.

Just look, Adobe bought Cool Edit Pro, which is probably the greatest audio editor ever made. They didn't kill it, they keep it going as Audition, and so all the potential Cool Edit Pro customers can still get an updated version which pretty much is still the same Cool Edit Pro. Apple decided not to do that with Maestro... Murderers!

Originally Posted by Mr. Budwar
    So the proposed workflow AfterEffect -> Procoder -> Maestro is very professional and two thumbs up, except there is no Maestro. What Maestro?
    Technically you can still buy Maestro on eBay with all the dongles and stuff. So if you find a reliable seller, you can still be pretty much legal. Even big studios still use it. I have some PAL DVD's from BBC UK ("Coupling" series), and the last one was authored in August 2003 with Implementation id "Spruce Technologies", according to DVDInfo. So, big places still use Spruce products even though you cannot get the software anymore from Spruce Technologies.
    Quote Quote