VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys. I know that there were some issues w/ PC users trying to back up certin dvd titles like: The Forgotten, Little Black Book and Resident Evil 2.

Now how about on our Mac's? Do we have any problems back'in up these 3 titles that I mention above??

Also if they are backup up fine, please post what softwares you use?

Thanks - Regal OUT
    *New Mac user*, been PC user 4 life
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just try doing it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just did. The Forgotten locked my Mac up in MTR. lol

I am right now using my PC Vobblanker w/ anydvd and it seems to be working and putting it into my desktop folder. 20% completed right now.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT: this post was posted at the same time as yours Regal. Are you using the newest MTR

I don't know about Macs, but I did just see on this website that a New version of Mac The Ripper was just released.

I would bet that the new version can handle the ArcCos copy protection on those DVD's you mentioned.

You should try it be a leader not a follower you are somebody.

In the words of the immortal Rob Schiender, "You can do it... You can do it all night long"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    .......... Oh but I rather do it on my MAC , not pc. It's funner on the Mac :P
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the MTR version 2.6.1 a no go.

I will try it in Movie only mode. How do I set it up to handle AcrCossssssss
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm on the MacTheRipper development team, and our users have had mixed experiences with those. Forgotten more or less works with the latest version of MTR (for some users, and DVD2OneX can't handle the output in Disc Copy mode). Resident Evil apparently still has some issues. Little Black Book, I've never heard of, and no users have made any mentions of it. If users send us in some of the releases that are having problems, we can get MTR working with those too.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry I just saw that there was a new version out. I am going in tomorrow to work in a testing lab with Macs.

I'll see if my leads will let me play with MTR on one of the Macs in the lab.

I am a tard when it comes to OS 10 I probably won't be able to get back to you with any progress until Wed.
    snappy phrase

I don't know what you're talking about.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WW.

I actually got Little Black Book and RE 2 to backup , but only on the PC side. Using VOBblanker and then Shrink.

So those two movies I got taken care off. As for The Forgotten ,,, that dvd is in my PC right now. Vobblanker first shot was a no go. Then I read up a little on forum dvd to dvdr about this dvd movie The Forgotten and claim to use anydvd and then Decrypter. But instead I refuse to use decrypter. So I did Anydvd and the vobblanker. Seems to be working. I just like to see if my Mac can handle this dvd movie also. At least by not using so many differt softwares to get around to make it work.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WW on the quick note. I just wanted to give you the FYI that I am not a strong user on the Mac's and I had my Mac mini for a little over 48 hrs and I really enjoy using MTR. Very east to use and understand. great interface. Now if there can be a Shrink MTR version then you and your MTR developers would be the King of GODS!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use DVD2OneX or Popcorn to shrink. For ARccOS DVDs, DVD2OneX only seems to work in Movie Only mode at the moment (we're working with the DVD2OneX devs to get this situation resolved). Otherwise, Popcorn seems to be able to handle them OK, usually.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WW,

I tried Movie only mode in Dvd2oneX. I select my captions/subtitles and select source and folders. When I execute and window pops up and says:

"DvD2oneX Encrypted data detected. Dvd2one can not decrypt protected data."

And then I hit OK and it goes back to the start of dvd2oneX.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For now I got it to work on my PC. My son has my backups b/c he alwasy messes up my originals. Ever since my son messed up disk# 1 from Back to the Future, I always did backups. Looks like the entertainment business is taking control of all this. I am not happy. Its truely unfair for companies not allowing others that own dvd movies to make there own backup. Yea I am sure there are people who abuse the copyright laws. but this is awful. I spend over $60 a week on dvd movie releases and now I can't even protect my collection. Its not like the entertainment/movie industry dont make MILLIONS off us already from the movie theaters, gosh!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd suggest you write your congressman and senator, as well as state senator to do something about it, like amend the DMCA. A campaign contribution usually helps get the point across as well...
    Quote Quote  
  15. GUYS , I am tired of saying this but.

PLEASE DONT KEEP POSTING MESSAGES ABOUT DVD "XYZ" NOT WORKING. IF YOU DO NOT SEND IN THE OFFENDING DISCS < I CANT FIX THE APPLICATION>

I DONT HAVE ACCESS TO ARccOS HERE . SO I MUST RELY ON YOU SENDING THE DISC IN TO BE STUDIED.

IF I DONT GET THE DISC , I CANT FIX IT. MILLIONS OF POSTS ON THIS FORUM WILL NOT CHANGE THE ISSUE.

GB
    Quote Quote  
  16. Dear Mr Moderator.

Please Can you delete this thread , aswell as any other threads that contains info about MTR not being able to rip a certain title.

This sort of information should be e-mailed directly to the developer so arrangements can be made to view the disc.

Please can you also delete any other topics of this type related to MTR in the future.

many Thanks....

GeezerButtz.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Geezer, please. There is always ways arouund all this, mods or setting to mess with. To each of there own, we all find bugs, we all try diffent process to see if we get it to work amd share what WE had to do to get it to work. This is a forum, so that is why we as. So IF you don't like reading it, then don't click the link.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, no need to delete the threads. Just know that it's pretty much useless to just say you're unable to rip a certain title. We can't do anything about it until people start sending us the affected DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, we've posted a little tutorial on how to back up Forgotten, Resident Evil 2, and maybe some other tough ones on our forum here:
    http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=816
    Quote Quote  
  20. I ripped The Forgotten yesterday with MTR 2.6.3 which worked fine. I then used Popcorn to burn it to a single layer disc with no problems (burn it to a DL disc also). Both discs worked great. DTOX and DVDRemaster both failed. 2 steps and it was done with MTR and Popcorn. I used a Pioneer 108 for the ripping.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's good news, I'll edit my post in the other thread to reflect that. Couple questions: Which mode in Popcorn did you use (Full Disc or Movie Only)? Also, did you experience any strange playback problems, like long pause before the movie started or anything? Did MTR give you any error messages or anything? What country is your copy of Forgotten from? I'm wondering if there are several different releases of that movie in circulation...
    Quote Quote  
  22. It was the US release of the Forgotten. The disc is Region 1 and 3 and also has RCE.

I used full disc extraction (ARccOS) in MTR. MTR said it found bad sectors on the disc, but kept going and finished. I then added it to Popcorn and did a Full Copy. The resulting disc played fine, not pauses or anything.

The DL version I burned also played fine. It had one pause towards the end of the movie, which could have been the bad sectors, but after that small pause, it continued to play fine.

I'm doing a Movie Only copy in Popcorn now. Since the version I have has two titles, doing a Movie Only copy only extracts the Video and doesn't compress. It's also working fine.

My guess is that people that have problems ripping the bad sectors are due to the drive, not the MTR itself. Some drives handle reading bad sectors very well and even damaged disc will copy okay.

Many older drives will have problems with reading bad sectors or damaged discs. When Copy Control CD's were released in Japan several years ago, they couldn't be copied will in most Mac drives. Copy Control CD basically had a corrupt TOC that would mess up the drive and feed it bogus info.

But, better/newer drives would read this disc just fine and could copy them, because they ignored the TOC and looked at the data on the disc. My guess is that this is a similar issue with the ARccOS and as drive makers see the problems, firmware will be updated to handle reading these better
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info, instructions updated.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I tested the Movie Only copy in Popcorn. The disc burns fine, but the disc won't start correctly because of the bad sectors. Skipping to chapter 2 will allow the DVD to play fine. You can scan back to the beginning of the movie and it will play.

It may work if the video was fit to disc, but in this case it is just extracted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's good to know. I'll recommend using DVD2OneX with my described method for Movie Only and Popcorn for Disc Copy.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks WW. If I come across any other w/ issues w/ the Arcccosss crap I will try the solution you posted at that site. Thanks again. I really do enjoy ripping all my backups w/ MTR.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chikanakan
    I tested the Movie Only copy in Popcorn. The disc burns fine, but the disc won't start correctly because of the bad sectors. Skipping to chapter 2 will allow the DVD to play fine. You can scan back to the beginning of the movie and it will play.

It may work if the video was fit to disc, but in this case it is just extracted.
    Guys, another title is in the ball park of these issues is THE GRUDGE.

I did let MTR rip still. took a little while like 50 minutes to complete, but it work above what chikanakan said is what I had to do to get the movie to play. When you put the dvd movie in, it will just be a BLACK SCREEN, to get the movie to play, just press the SKIP button once on the remote or dvd player. The JUST MOVIE will play.

Thank you guys
    Quote Quote