VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BenQ and LiteOn will make HP's "LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling" burners.
    The technology lets you burn/etch a label on the non-data side of the disk.
    Full story at:
    http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20050120A7036.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving to Latest News forum ...
    Quote Quote  
  3. hmm

BenQ and Lite-On IT join CMC Magnetics, Taiwans largest producer of optical disks, as the only Taiwan OEM makers of HPs LightScribe CD-R and DVD-R disks, according to the makers.
    CMC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hope it works better that Yamaha's Disc T@2.
    We'll be right back after these messages from Binford!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freestyler
    hmm

BenQ and Lite-On IT join CMC Magnetics, Taiwans largest producer of optical disks, as the only Taiwan OEM makers of HPs LightScribe CD-R and DVD-R disks, according to the makers.
    CMC?
    BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That's one sure-fire way to kill technology. Use junk.
    Quote Quote  
  6. CMC CD-R is not bad media. That all that ships under the Verbatim brand name now. As far as Lightscribe goes, I have seen the labeling at CES and it is pretty decent looking technology. There are three issues that I see. 1. The labeling time for detailed images is ~ 35mins. 2. It is not color but grayscale. 3. The media prices are way to high for me to want a drive that has this implemented.

RG
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CMC CD-R is terrible media, always has been.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sure it bad when you buy Hotan brand down at Frys. Thats the Low grade stuff that CMC sells too no name brand retail market. HP, Philips, TDK and Verbatim branded CMC CD-R writes well with all the writers I have tested it with. If fact it writes better then some of the older MCC 48X CD-R that I have.
    I guess thats why Verbatim switched to CMC for all their CD-R.

RG
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if they switched - im sure it was because of cost and nothing else ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tool Man
    I hope it works better that Yamaha's Disc T@2.
    It should. T@2 produced graphics by burning patterns into the unused portion of the data layer of the disc. That meant that the bigger your graphic, the less room you had for storage. If this is the same system I read about earlier, it uses discs with a special coating on the label side that reacts when hit by laser light. You write your data, flip the disc, then write your label. The biggest hurdle this scheme faces is getting enough manufacturers on board to make the special discs without raising the price 500%. I don't think many people want to go back to $1 burnable cds, even for snazzy printed labels.
    Fight spammers ghetto kung-fu style! Join the Unsolicited Commandos! or the Spam Vampires!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought T@2 was a good idea, hence I bought one
    Trouble is, it's hard to find CD-R's these days with a dark enough dye.
    We'll be right back after these messages from Binford!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by RAAGAAman
    2. It is not color but grayscale.
    They are going to have trouble getting people to buy one of these if it is only grey scale.
    This plan is so bad, it must be one of ours.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I thought we talked about this about a year ago. Only adds about $10 to the writer & the disks cost about ten cents more. But that pricing info is out of date too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lightscribe will last in regular home conditions about 9-12 months according to websites they tested it.....is it worth it?....i do no think so...
    and media will be expensive

when it will last at least 10 years in home conditions it will be worth it..not now...they need to make it better
    Quote Quote  
  15. I just saw an ad on TV for HP that mentioned it's "DVD burners with Lightscrib". The one they showed in the tray looked like it was a bit more than just text, but then again, "individual results may vary".....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deejay.2001
    lightscribe will last in regular home conditions about 9-12 months according to websites they tested it.....is it worth it?....i do no think so...
    and media will be expensive

when it will last at least 10 years in home conditions it will be worth it..not now...they need to make it better
    if it only lasted 12 months -- then all your dvds will last only 12 months because they are burned also onto the disk ...

thats the dumbest thing i heard ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Maybe the difference is that the data is burned onto a different surface than the image....
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thats right. The laser goes throught the disc and burns the text on label side, via a chemical reaction. HP has these already for sale in the pre-fab PC's at staples, etc. Sounds and looks great!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I saw some LightScribe Verbatim 52x CD-Rs at BestBuy last week. US $20.00 for a 30 disc spindle.
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wish I could buy one of those drives, anyone seen one yet on its own?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mattyboy
    thats right. The laser goes throught the disc and burns the text on label side, via a chemical reaction. HP has these already for sale in the pre-fab PC's at staples, etc. Sounds and looks great!
    it says on their site that you flip the disk over -- so it wouldnt go threw the disk ... havent seen it myself , so im not sure ..
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm curious, in any event. Of course, now that I have an Epson R200, I can already print on disks. I guess it depends on how they compare...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the epson sure will be more colorfull ... !
    Quote Quote  
  24. The disk is burned on the label side. You have to flip the disk over after or before you write the data side. You can write text or graphics. I have seen it is action and it is pretty nice and the images are sharp although grayscale only. Under normal storage conditions the labled disk should not have any noticible fading for 5 yrs. Of course if you leave it in direct sunlight or heat lamp it will fade. This would happen with any labeled disk.
    Even the Verbatims I had sitting in my office window faded and I could not write them.

RG
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Usually, grayscale images are very good in magazines.

Hong Kong DVDs have had greyscale etched DVDs for 6 or 7 years.
    The photo's and art works looks very very good, etched on mirror back disks.
    I hope HP version is as good.
    Quote Quote  
  26. this 'new technology' makes me laugh. Yeah its handy if you don't wanna buy a printer that prints onto disks etc. But thats about it. And why is this posted in the 'latest' news section!? i read about this a good 5/6 months ago.
    Dan
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Read the original post, ie, "New News" as the 1st word in the subject says "Writers"
    re: BenQ & LiteOn.

FWIW Mitsubishi makes LightScribe blanks. SEPT. 26, 2004 news:
    Mitsubishi Kagaku Media Co., Ltd. (MKM) has announced an agreement with Hewlett-
    Packard Company (HP) to produce and market LightScribe ink, CD, and DVD discs
    developed in collaboration with HP.
    With a LightScribe-enabled drive, consumers can use the same laser that burned
    the data to the disc to make a distinctive-looking label for the other side of the disc.
    MKM will market LightScribe discs, stampers, and ink.

The first-generation LightScribe discs produced and sold by MKM/Verbatim in 2005
    will be monochrome. Second-generation LightScribe discs, which will be
    able to accept multi-color printing, are under development. Although LightScribe
    features have been added, the discs are also compatible with all current CD and DVD
    standards.
    Full PR @ http://www.verbatim.com/news/news_detail.cfm?news_id=21ED2D73-22D4-4DF0-AA1D5A06006A29C9

Also at their site, a Jan. 6, 2005 PR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  29. I'm a little confused by this lightscribe stuff... why do I need a new burner? Doesn't the burner I have already have a laser in it capable of causing a chemical reaction?

Am I to believe that the laser in my new dual layer burner is not strong enough?

What's the power output (or however they measure it for lasers) of a standard DVD burner's laser vs. the laser in a laserjet printer? Couldn't someone just develop some self-adhesive labels that are sensitive enough for existing burners? Is anyone working on something like this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i bet your burner will not burn on the BACK of dvd's .

i heard some talk though of firmware updates to some recorders ...
    Quote Quote