VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is one better than the other
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi 1HappyBurner,

Welcome to the forum...

The answer you seek is in the "Glossary" - under "What Is", top left of the page.

Also in the left column, you'll find links to a vast majority of the information that this site has to offer. If you can't find the answers there, then there's a good chance someone else has already asked the question in the forum, so a search in there should find any answers.

Failing that, post your question and someone should be able to help. Best to say where you've searched or you'll get pointed back to the guides or forum search...

Enjoy the site...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is one better than the other ? Subjective question. DTS does not compress as much as AC3, so theoretically it should sound better. It also takes up almost twice as much space. Some people say they can't tell the difference, and in some cases this is probably true. IMO a good DTS mix shines over a good AC3 mix for having much better range at the high end, and generally having more convincing seperation in the surround channels. The LOTR films are a good example of a superior DTS mix.

The main advantge of AC3 is that the DVD spec requires it be down mixed to stereo for analogue output by the DVD player. This means you do not have to have a Dolby AC3 decoding amp and digital connections to hear it. There are very few players that can do this with DTS.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    The main advantge of AC3 is that the DVD spec requires it be down mixed to stereo for analogue output by the DVD player. This means you do not have to have a Dolby AC3 decoding amp and digital connections to hear it. There are very few players that can do this with DTS.
    I would cite another even bigger advantage...A DVD with AC3 as the only audio track will play in any DVD player, DTS will not because it is in the DVD specification only as an alternate audio track.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's a completely different codec, you can't compare the 'quality' of DTS vs AC3. It's like comparing 128 kbps WMA vs 160 kbps MP3.

If the same soundtrack mix is being used to master DTS and AC3, the sound quality difference can't be heard.

However, most DTS tracks are being mixed different to be slightly louder (overall), slightly rear heavy and bass heavy making it psychologically sounds 'better'.

Best example is the Lethal Weapon trilogy (the 4th oune doesn't count). you can switch back between DTS and DD on the fly, and although DTS takes more room than DD, you won't be able to hear any difference.

Now, overall, however, I like DTS MIX better. It seems like the DTS mixing engineers know how to tweak the sound information for home-theatre usage.
    "Half empty or half full, it's still only half a glass" - What Dave Says
    Quote Quote  
  6. Wow! Thank you everyone for their input! I think I will stick with AC3 audio unless I can also add DTS, when available, without compromising video quality. Thanks again!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AC3 sends every sound below 120Hz to the subwoofer.
    DTS sends every sound below 80Hz to the subwoofer.

DTS really only sounds better because you get more punch in your satellites. Whether you can discern any directionality from it is another thing but then again, there are many who swear they can hear above 20kHz.
    Your miserable life is not worth the reversal of a Custer decision.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Sillyname
    AC3 sends every sound below 120Hz to the subwoofer.
    DTS sends every sound below 80Hz to the subwoofer.
    No it's not. You're wrong. Every channel is full-spectrum. The LFE channel (Low Frequency Effect) is the subwoofer ADDITIONAL channel on top of the already full-spectrum of the rest of the channels.

The difference of sound is due to the mix, not due to its codec and specs.

I used to work in DVD sound mastering for both AC3 and DTS output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He IS talking about the mix. Dolby (AC3) recommends setting the sub roll-off at 120Hz and DTS always rolls theirs off at 80Hz as far as I know. Actually, mixers take some liberty with the sub roll-off when mixing AC3 for other things like concerts/music, but for film 120Hz is the standard for Dolby.

And I agree with Sillyname. If you just toggle between DTS and AC3 the DTS will sound louder and punchier. But if you adjust your receiver accordingly, the differences largely fade away.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Oh, I thought he was talking about the codec spec itself. My bad. My Apology.

Originally Posted by adam
    He IS talking about the mix. Dolby (AC3) recommends setting the sub roll-off at 120Hz and DTS always rolls theirs off at 80Hz as far as I know. Actually, mixers take some liberty with the sub roll-off when mixing AC3 for other things like concerts/music, but for film 120Hz is the standard for Dolby.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And here I was "sculpting" my retort. :P

Also, as a side note, DTS is only going to sound better than AC3 on systems with larger satellites. It's almost indiscernable from AC3 on smaller computer satellite setups. That's why, I believe, Dolby Digital is more common on cheaper systems not just because its liscense is cheaper than DTS.
    Your miserable life is not worth the reversal of a Custer decision.
    Quote Quote